Individual Pictures are on the team website | The Boneyard

Individual Pictures are on the team website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes and her career high is 2 pts (4times) even though she hit a 3.
I think Pulido can start in other schools (may be not top 10 or top 20 colleges).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think Pulido can start in other schools (may be not top 10 or top 20 colleges).
I can't speak to Pulido but Lawlor could be contributor at a lot of schools. She would start in Division III, probably start in Division II, or be about an eighth woman at a mid-major. I've wondered at times whether she has pondered transferring to another school to be a scholarship player. Looks like the deal she's got appeals to her.

Reaction Score
I can't speak to Pulido but Lawlor could be contributor at a lot of schools. She would start in Division III, probably start in Division II, or be about an eighth woman at a mid-major. I've wondered at times whether she has pondered transferring to another school to be a scholarship player. Looks like the deal she's got appeals to her.
Pretty sure she is a scholarship player

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Why on earth would you want to play for a mid-major when you have a front row seat to the best team in history? (maybe. definitely top five.)

Plus, if she wants to go into coaching, she's got the best teacher in the world. And two national championships.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why on earth would you want to play for a mid-major when you have a front row seat to the best team in history? (maybe. definitely top five.)

Plus, if she wants to go into coaching, she's got the best teacher in the world. And two national championships.

Good point Sarals24.

Let me share several observations on this...........I think all the conjecture about if and where Pulido and Lawler could play is nothing more than speculation. We must remember that they were already attending UConn when they became walk-ons. If their skills allowed them to receive offers from other schools, why didn't they accept them?. They were at UConn because they wanted to be there.
There are several things which must be considered when contemplating scholarship offers.

1. What are you choices? How many offers do you have?
This is the overriding factor that determines where you go. Depending on your options, accept one and you get a college education without having to pay $$ for it. I had 1 offer from a four year program and I took it. Accepting it took me out of my comfort zone, but the end result was worth it. If I had more options, I probably would not have gone there. The only goal I had when I accepted it was getting my degree. Visions of winning any type of championship or athletic accolade never entered my thoughts.

I'm not saying that ALL other athletes have a similar mindset. That is the position I found myself in, so I took advantage of it.
Look at scholarship athletes in other sports (baseball, track, tennis, golf, swimming, volleyball, etc) Most of them know going in that they have no chance of winning a NC. They're satisfied with competing on whatever level (Div. 1,2,3 or NAIA, etc.) they choose, and getting an education.

2. The second dynamic is the head coach. Do you want to play for him/her?. The location of the school and the curriculum they offer must also be taken into question, especially if you know what you want to major in. How will you fit into that program? Some kids want to stay close to home for various reasons (Delle Donne). There's speculation that many of the players from Texas don't want to leave the state. That's why many were surprised when Moriah Jefferson broke rank and chose to come to UConn.

Many (not all) serious athletes (non blue chip) would rather play at a lower level program (non top 25) than sit on the bench at a top ranked program. It depends on the individual. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, most of the time, when a youngster chooses a program, they choose the coach and their staff (and sometimes the facilities). It's not with visions or expectations of winning a national championship (even though that concept may be part of the sales speech they get from the coach). Maybe a league or conference championship. But not a NC.

Most selections are made with the hope and expectation of getting a lot of playing time, and graduating in 4 years. They may not be recruited by a top ranked program that has a legitimate chance of winning a NC. IMO, only the top ranked "blue chip" players may choose a program that they think they can help win a NC. Why?, because everybody wants them.

They can go anywhere they want to. (i.e; Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi, Aja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Brittney Griner, KML, KLS, etc). They could have gone to any Division 1 program in the country. As you know, very few athletes have those options. Sometimes they guess right, sometimes they don't.

I would love to hear from some of the top 25 ranked prospects in a particular class (candidly of course) why they chose one school over another.
In particular, why a prospect that had an off from UConn decided to go somewhere else.

To some, it's a dream to play at UConn (Mo'ne Davis), while others would never consider going to Storrs.
How many programs have a legitimate chance of winning the championship THIS year? Maybe four or five at best. So, you go where you're comfortable and you fit in. The top 4-5 schools can't recruit everybody. Most of the time, they only have 3-4 scholarship available each year., sometimes not that many.

Obviously Pulido and Lawler are OK with their current association with the team. As you said, they get a great courtside seat to all huskie games, they get ALL of the same perks that the other players do. They go to the White House every year, and they've got multiple championship rings.

If they were unhappy, they could have transferred to another program. From what I read and hear, both of these ladies are firmly committed to the huskie program, and are more than satisfied with their roles on the team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great individual pictures of the entire team. I always find it amusing what players with longer hair do when they play (let it be wild, pony tail, wrapped up on top of head, etc). I know it's sort of a random observation, but I think the entire team has long hear except for Gabby who looks like she's sporting a version of a 'fro. Very cool!

I wanted to touch on Pulido and Lawler - Carnac and Sarals are correct in that they were already students at UCONN, and they answered the call a few years back when the team put out feelers for walk ons. IMHO, if you are even just a casual fan of WCBB, and are attending the school with the greatest program in the history of the game, the opportunity to soak in the atmosphere, great teammates, coaches, fan support, and ability to win NC's AND have a front row seat for all of it - that's pretty much a dream come true.

Could they go to a D1 mid major like Stony Brook, and possibly be a starter? Sure, but why would you want to play in front of 50 fans a game, miss out on the UCONN coaching staff and teammates, multiple tripS to the final 4, NC games, AND the White House? I would be stunned if the thought of transferring crossed their mind for even 1 second.

To sort of answer Carnac's question "I would love to hear from some of the top 25 ranked prospects in a particular class (candidly of course) why they chose one school over another.
In particular, why a prospect that had an off from UConn decided to go somewhere else
."

I doubt you'd ever get a really straight forward answer - it may be multiple things. Easy answers like proximity to home, chances for PT right away, more warm fuzzies from the coach, the chance to build something rather than continue on with a dynasty, etc. But other answers you might not hear might be - promises of PT (or other inducements) from the coach, preferring to play for a man or woman, family pressures (especially if one or more family members really likes one coach or program over another), overly involved parents, fear of the pressure of UCONN, not liking Geno's style of coaching, any kind of friction with potential future teammates, consistent bad mouthing of Geno or negative recruiting tactics used by other coaches, etc etc.

Many of those things you will never hear from a player. Sometimes things will come out into the open down the road - comments leaked by parents, etc, of tactics or inducements of other coaches, etc, but mostly you never know the whole truth and it ends up "I felt that 'XYZ school' was the best fit and place for me"...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice Carnac.
I also think there is a general difference in the way the genders approach competition - Geno and others comment on the difference they see in practice and games, and I think that carries over to choices made in the recruiting process. It is a generalization, but how often do you see guys selecting schools based on personal relationships. Team means something different to the genders, and the personal is just more a part of girls choices than guys. Being a part of a team and seeing teammates do well even if it diminishes their own contributions is something women value (again a generalization, not applicable to each individual.)

Geno's quote about trying to get a guy to set a pick for someone else to get a shot is the classic distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom