Incredible game last night | The Boneyard

Incredible game last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Meant to post pictures from the game last night but for some reason the 3G stopped working completely.

Anyway it was pretty fantastic event. We walked in early and the venue was even smaller than I imagined, maybe 3000 people max. First person I see is Jim Calhoun and he is sitting right next to Joe D. You could literally walk up to and chat with whoever you wanted to. Calhoun, Ollie, Bilas, Warde, Herbst, Katz you name it. Had a picture taken with Calhoun and we chatted quickly, he was literally getting swamped with people wanting pictures, autographs etc. In the middle of that, Tom Izzo's wife came over and the poor guy was able to sit down again! Anyway, he was a class act because he was definitely getting hounded way more than anyone else.

Kevin Ollie? Badass, I just wished him luck while he was sitting on the bench watching warmups, another good guy and genuine, he'd been talking to people like me for days and he still wanted to know what I do and where in CT I was.

Game atmosphere was superb and UConn taking the initiative really set the place on fire early. So much athleticism there. Hannah Storm and Kevin Nehgandhi were sitting next to us and you could tell they were enjoying the event, once we were up by 14 or 15 I told Kevin that Germany is UConn Country, after the Napier-Boatwright dunk. He said that he may have to use that haha.

After the game was really touching. The players seemed to want to honor Jim Calhoun and they brought the trophy over, for him.

Our Germans. They were totally motivated to kick ass in their country. They had lots of friends and family there and they were eating up the experience. Good kids all of them.

Boatwright was by far the best athlete in Germany last night! If he didn't have a bad ankle, we could win by ten.

Anyways.. It was pretty cool and I felt it was a really special win for the school.

Reaction Score
Thanks Zoo, that had to be a very entertaining game for the troops. Close, exciting, tons of talent, explosive, etc.....

The troops couldn't of had a better experience, and I wouldn't have minded a 'close' loss last night considering the venue and the meaning of the game.

Reaction Score
Thanks Zoo. If you were to pick a regular season game in the last X years, this may be the one I would pick in retrospect. Good work, the game on TV was amazing, in person it must have been really overwhelming.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Great post, thanks for the insight.

I agree they wanted to win for Calhoun. Shabazz pointed to him as the clock ran out. You can tell Bazz and Calhoun have a very close relationship.

Reaction Score
Always better to win! It was great seeing familiar CT faces in Germany, almost like an unexpected visit from friends and family.

Another thing about ESPN. I've said a ton of bad stuff about them, but they definitely didn't take the escalator on this. If you saw the looks on the faces of the various personalities then you would have thought that they were enjoying themselves more than us. Maybe it was just that they weren't used to be people being so appreciative.

Thanks Zoo, that had to be a very entertaining game for the troops. Close, exciting, tons of talent, explosive, etc.....

The troops couldn't of had a better experience, and I wouldn't have minded a 'close' loss last night considering the venue and the meaning of the game.

Reaction Score
Great post, thanks for the insight.

I agree they wanted to win for Calhoun. Shabazz pointed to him as the clock ran out. You can tell Bazz and Calhoun have a very close relationship.

It was very poignant.

Reaction Score
Must have been incredible to be in that hanger. What a great night.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Thanks for the great report and for your service.

Ditto. The broadcast showed another side of the military effort of the people who make it happen and take care of our wounded.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks and G-d Bless!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the post Zoo. It sure seemed to be great event for everyone their and everyone watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom