In all these alignment rumors, why is the Big East not mentioned? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

In all these alignment rumors, why is the Big East not mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
From all accounts, the Catholics are the reason the Big East did football half-assed. The mediocrity continued as the BE invited Marquette and DePaul instead of two football schools. Not that the B.E. would have been saved, but the divide was always there. But hey, the B.E. now has Butler, Xavier, and Creighton to save the day. Elite.

That is not from all accounts. Every football school but USF and Cincinnati stabbed UConn in the back at some point, and those two would have if they could have. Literally, every single school stabbed UConn in the back after we had carried the conference in basketball for 20 years. But yeah, the basketball schools are the problem. Sure.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I really depends upon what "benefits" you are alluding to. You were disagreeing with a poster's comment that autonomy-inspired benefits offered by a P5 or bigger budget school would not affect PC because PC would match those benefits for mens basketball and hockey. Depending upon what benefits you are referencing, they may be also applicable to other sports other than mens basketball and hockey. There's nothing incorrect about that statement.
Even the P5 schools that passed the new rules are uncertain how it will apply and to who, especially Title 9 implications.

Reaction Score
Even the P5 schools that passed the new rules are uncertain how it will apply and to who, especially Title 9 implications.

I don't disagree. My point to FriarJ is that it could ultimately prove to be a lot more expensive than simply throwing donor bucks at two sports if they want to replicate some of the autonomy-inspired benefits.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is the irrationally crazy bitter ex-girlfriend syndrome I am talking about. Depaul makes over twice as much as UConn from their TV contract. Whatever you think is the right home for UConn, it is idiotic to bash the Big East.

You're the only one who thinks she's still pretty and the only one who fails to see she's only going to get older and uglier.

Reaction Score
YOU ARE LITERALLY THE ONLY PERSON ON THE BOARD WHO WANTS TO BE IN THE "BIG EAST." The only one. So stop pretending that is a debate where both sides have equally supportable views. Everybody thinks you're a crank and have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone. Let that sink in: everyone.

The debate has been over for some time. We -- the UConn community -- do not want to be in the Big East. Now now. Not never.

You're like the Duke brothers at the end of Trading Places. Nobody's turning the machines back on, pal.

hate to chime in on this lovefest, but, um, well, you might not know this, but, UM, UConn is a member (associate) of the BE.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
hate to chime in on this lovefest, but, um, well, you might not know this, but, UM, UConn is a member (associate) of the BE.

Um, well, we're talking about big-boy sports here (basketball, specifically), not field hockey and women's lacrosse.

Reaction Score
I would prefer to have providence on schedule - home and home. A convenient way to get to an away game, a good historic and geographic rivalry, and I love me some wings at Murphy's. I can see the other side of the argument as we'll....

But I think the idea of killing our athletic program so that we can return to a watered down big east is twisted. Only a crackpot would attempt to win this argument.

Reaction Score
aa
In fairness, UConn owes a lot to the old BE. UConn's problem was it just didn't see the writing on the wall regarding its inevitable demise. The old BE never got away from its Providence-centric existence. From Gavitt to "Meatball" Marinatto; the BE hierarchy was PC biased. PC, with no football or baseball for that matter, wasn't in tune with what a real P-5 conference would evolve into. UConn (Perkins) knew that D-1 football was necessary to take the next step. But, UConn was asleep at the switch with Austin, then Hogan and dreadful Hathaway as AD after Perkins left. UConn is well past any desire to join the new BE. UConn is a dramatically different school then it was in 1979 and its athletics have eclipsed all bounds. UConn's failure was in not realizing that the old BE was nothing more than a small, parochial school conference at its core. It was never going to be a conference that would compete with the P-5 in football with, literally, a half-hearted commitment.

And if we had seen "the writing on the wall," what exactly should we have done? Did Syracuse quit the conference because of the writing on the wall before they got invited somewhere else? Did BC? Did Louisville? Yes, the Big East was never going to match up with the other five power conferences because half its members didn't play football and because the Northeast does not and did not support college football like other regions.

BUT OTHER THAN HAVING MADE OUR ATHLETIC PROGRAM BIG TIME 20 YEARS EARLIER, WHICH WE DIDN'T HAVE THE SUPPORT TO DO PRE-CALHOUN, EXACTLY WHAT SHOULD SOMEONE HAVE DONE?

Reaction Score
From all accounts, the Catholics are the reason the Big East did football half-assed. The mediocrity continued as the BE invited Marquette and DePaul instead of two football schools. Not that the B.E. would have been saved, but the divide was always there. But hey, the B.E. now has Butler, Xavier, and Creighton to save the day. Elite.

Oh stop it. What two football schools would we have invited if we could have invited two more football schools instead of Marquette and DePaul? UCF and East Carolina? How would that have changed any of what has unfolded since then.

We are not screwed because of what the hoops schools did. We are screwed because (i) Syracuse, BC and us voluntarily joined a league where the other four members were catholic schools that would never play big time football, and (ii) the football programs in the northeast, with the single exception of Penn State, are not, as a whole, as supported by their populations as schools in other areas. Period. Don't make me agree with Muntz, but blaming the catholic schools for our predicament makes no sense.

Reaction Score
The only thing that could have possibly been done is to somehow convince Miami and Virginia Tech to stay and to invite other football schools. They were two of the top dogs, so to speak, in a BCS conference. Right now the ACC is Florida State and everyone else. Miami, VPI, WVU could have made just as good a three-some as Florida State, Clemson, and whoever else happens to have a good year in the ACC. In hindsight, perhaps Miami regrets leaving their perch.

Reaction Score
The only thing that could have possibly been done is to somehow convince Miami and Virginia Tech to stay and to invite other football schools. They were two of the top dogs, so to speak, in a BCS conference. Right now the ACC is Florida State and everyone else. Miami, VPI, WVU could have made just as good a three-some as Florida State, Clemson, and whoever else happens to have a good year in the ACC. In hindsight, perhaps Miami regrets leaving their perch.

The ACC made more money. Why would they stay?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Miami was always going to leave. Maybe if Penn St had joined they would have stayed. The ironic thing is Miami has sucked in football. Still the thought is always is that they'll "come back".

I don't blame the Catholic schools. I mean, the hybrid league was destined to fail. Adding ND was a capitulation to earlier mistakes and that further eroded the chance of the BE ever staying together as a FB conference. There were too many pieces pulling in too many directions. Weak leadership at the top didn't help.

Could the BE FB conference have stayed together and been (relatively) successful? I think so but there was no longer any commitment to it. The conference papered over the cracks rather than repairing them, and, it made it easier for teams to pack it in and take off. UConn, BC, Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU, Louisville and Cincy would have been a solid starting eight. Add a couple Florida and Texas schools and away you go. There would definitely be a P6 instead of a P5.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, St. John's fan coming in peace. Really not here to troll or start anything and have always respected UConn. I've been reading the realignment board for a few days and I'm really surprised there is no mention of a possible Big East reunion for UConn. It makes so much sense it hurts. The monkey wrench is your football program. Obviously you guys must realize this. Why not become independent in football and join the Big East for all other sports? Why not call the MAC? Why not consider downgrading to FCS? I think a few years ago another school (UMass?) considered downgrading. Georgetown is a great sports school and they have their football in FCS. Same with Nova. I understand you guys wanted to become an east coast FBS powerhouse bringing college football to the northeast. It just won't happen.

UConn has to realize it's a basketball school. Not only men's hoops, but women's as well. 10 rings in basketball between the two hoops teams. That is your sport. That is what you are and will always be known for. Your flirtation with becoming the next Ohio State in the northeast has cost you a precious spot in a great conference. Dreams and reality are two different things.

Coming back to the Big East you would get:

-MSG games every year again and likely sold out or nearly sold out
-Old rivalries rekindled i.e. SJ, G'Town, Nova
-Fox Sports 1 with every game nationally televised and some nice cash
-Assurance that your basketball will not fall off and your RPI will be strong
-More to brag about to recruits
-Geographic fit (duh)

Why not come with us? We can all laugh as the power 5 conferences neurotically try to raid other schools and be in our nice cozy, powerful, respected Big East. What do you say?

Why would anyone want to join your conference? You guys are invisible. Nobody gives a crap about Creighton, Marquette, Xavier and these Midwestern cheese curd stands that are only relevant for about two weeks a year.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, St. John's fan coming in peace. Really not here to troll or start anything and have always respected UConn. I've been reading the realignment board for a few days and I'm really surprised there is no mention of a possible Big East reunion for UConn. It makes so much sense it hurts. The monkey wrench is your football program. Obviously you guys must realize this. Why not become independent in football and join the Big East for all other sports? Why not call the MAC? Why not consider downgrading to FCS? I think a few years ago another school (UMass?) considered downgrading. Georgetown is a great sports school and they have their football in FCS. Same with Nova. I understand you guys wanted to become an east coast FBS powerhouse bringing college football to the northeast. It just won't happen.

UConn has to realize it's a basketball school. Not only men's hoops, but women's as well. 10 rings in basketball between the two hoops teams. That is your sport. That is what you are and will always be known for. Your flirtation with becoming the next Ohio State in the northeast has cost you a precious spot in a great conference. Dreams and reality are two different things.

Coming back to the Big East you would get:

-MSG games every year again and likely sold out or nearly sold out
-Old rivalries rekindled i.e. SJ, G'Town, Nova
-Fox Sports 1 with every game nationally televised and some nice cash
-Assurance that your basketball will not fall off and your RPI will be strong
-More to brag about to recruits
-Geographic fit (duh)

Why not come with us? We can all laugh as the power 5 conferences neurotically try to raid other schools and be in our nice cozy, powerful, respected Big East. What do you say?

Independence in football is not a viable course of action. Thanks for your interest.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
aa

And if we had seen "the writing on the wall," what exactly should we have done? Did Syracuse quit the conference because of the writing on the wall before they got invited somewhere else? Did BC? Did Louisville? Yes, the Big East was never going to match up with the other five power conferences because half its members didn't play football and because the Northeast does not and did not support college football like other regions.

BUT OTHER THAN HAVING MADE OUR ATHLETIC PROGRAM BIG TIME 20 YEARS EARLIER, WHICH WE DIDN'T HAVE THE SUPPORT TO DO PRE-CALHOUN, EXACTLY WHAT SHOULD SOMEONE HAVE DONE?
The only thing we could have (and should have) done was observe how Rutgers spent nearly a decade professing how they were a candidate for the Big-10 and continually promoted their football program (from a point, 2002-2005) where they actually were behind where we were 9as an upstart no less). Unfortunately for us at the time our leadership did not have the ambition or vision to help propel our football program beyond where (under Lew Perkins, when it was important to not appear overly ambitious in order to gain support for the upgrade) we were supposed to be (merely fielding a football team).

The BE that we were part of was destined to fail as long as there were two distinct factions (those with and those without major football programs). To some extent I can understand fans from some of the catholic members thinking we should drop football and rejoin (although they are looking at their best interests, not ours). I have an issue with our fans who hold a similar belief.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're the only one who thinks she's still pretty and the only one who fails to see she's only going to get older and uglier.

She is driving a Benz, lives in a 5k sq ft house, and doesn't think 2 seconds about you, and you guys are driving 96 Civics, living with your parents, and telling all your friends that she is the reason your life sucks.

UConn got itself to where it is while people like you celebrate the stupidity that is Warde Manuel no matter how many terrible decisions he makes. Our entire athletic program is hanging by a thread right now with no clear path to make it better. So blaming the problems on me or St. Johns or the Big East is pretty freaking stupid considering.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Could you list the terrible mistakes for us?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The only thing we could have (and should have) done was observe how Rutgers spent nearly a decade professing how they were a candidate for the Big-10 and continually promoted their football program (from a point, 2002-2005) where they actually were behind where we were 9as an upstart no less). Unfortunately for us at the time our leadership did not have the ambition or vision to help propel our football program beyond where (under Lew Perkins, when it was important to not appear overly ambitious in order to gain support for the upgrade) we were supposed to be (merely fielding a football team).

This is idiocy.

Good lord, some of you are just bad at math.

New Jersey is three times the size of Connecticut. Game, set and match.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Could you list the terrible mistakes for us?

See Tulane game for one mistake, which 90% of this board was celebrating as an accomplishment until 3 weeks ago.

Kevin Ollie's contract was a near miss from disaster. I don't view Kevin Ollie' integrity or loyalty to the school and Calhoun as something that Manuel should get credit for after doing as much as he could to drive Ollie away.

Losing the last spot in the ACC to a community college in Louisville that is in a poor and totally saturated market. This was survival, and that bid was UConn's to lose.

Any one of those 3 would get most AD's tossed. Warde is not even remotely in jeopardy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So you have absolutely nothing.

As usual.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is idiocy.

Fishy, I now tyhat in this small circle you like to consider yourself clever so I'll refrain from a pi$$ing match. I will however point out that while the collegiate powerhouse that is Rutgers was promoting themselves everywhere (with only their population and proximity to NYC to demonstrate as actual assets) we did absolutely nothing. Our athletic director was sitting around with his thumb up his backside while those charged with (continually) finding a new president for our university spent their time dicking around with someone who really didn't want to be here followed by retreading someone who had basically retired prior to officially retiring in his last term on the job. What they should have been doing was looking for someone who saw the president's position at our school for what it really was(is), a potentially career defining job.

All of this occurred while the big East (which at that point was only viewed as a major conference because of what we were accomplishing in men's basketball) continually looked for band-aids that would allow schools like St John's, Providence and Seton Hall to claim that they were still playing basketball with the big boys. The Big East had no possibility of surviving, long term as a hybrid conference yet among the few who never saw that were Marinatto, Hathaway and Waylon.

I'm not saying that we would have received the same consideration by the B1G that Rutgers did if we copied their approach. I fully believe however that if we had copied their approach (beginning about a decade ago) at worst we would be in the ACC today as among other things we would have had far better attendance in football over the past half dozen years than we did have (very possibly already expanded), there would have been far more national awareness of the success we did achieve in football (and even more that what we experienced in basketball) and a decade of success beyond anything that any of the schools that departed the BE after the initial raid could have dreamed of would not have been wasted.

PS - Anytime you want compare math aptitude or skill let me know.

Reaction Score
This is idiocy.

And, is further south and west where football is somewhat more important than two states to the northeast.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's not an ounce of insight there. If you think we needed to have started a campaign "a decade earlier", I'm going to guess that either forgot the marketing of our new football program or that you arrived as a UConn fan sometime later. We had all the campaigns you could shake a stick at - different than whatever you think the Rutgers' marketing plans were, but necessarily so since we were starting from ground zero.

When the second round of ACC expansion started in '11, we were coming off a Fiesta Bowl and our attendance was about 39,000 per game. And we got skipped over. That one is not on us - Syracuse was always going to be the next one picked and Pitt had history and was also coming off of three seasons that were actually stronger than our prior three. Seven years of football doesn't overcome history.

We were never considered for Big Ten expansion. We were only one season removed from the Fiesta Bowl and only one season into the P era when the Big Ten first approached Rutgers - we weren't then what Pasqualoni eventually turned us into. Rutgers was an AAU university in a heavily-populated state that happened to be contiguous to the the Big Ten's footprint.. Our football success relative to theirs was not a matter of any importance - neither was their relative meager athletic success on all fronts. Lots of televisions sets + AAU + Contiguous = Done deal.

As for the last go-around, better football and a track record beat academics. If it happens a year prior when Louisville is coming off a year where they had 32k in the stands, maybe it's different, but I doubt it.

As for your "math aptitude", I'm not terribly sure how it fits in here, but in any event, this is for your refrigerator.

goldstarbig1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger