In all these alignment rumors, why is the Big East not mentioned? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

In all these alignment rumors, why is the Big East not mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You could so easily substitute SJ with PC and these posts would look so similar.

Remember (insert 1980's season) we were good?

Remember (insert random regular season game and year) we beat UConn?

We're making big changes here and we'll be good ( always insert next year).

Reaction Score
It's adorable how naive fans of the basketball-only schools are.

The Georgetowns of the world would not have been as competitive if they didn't get to play UConn and Syracuse and Pittsburgh and Louisville. They benefited more from being able to play those schools than those schools benefited from being able to play Georgetown.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think it's super cute that a Johnny is worried about the defending national champs. Super cute!

Hey Johnny, the Big East is so bad that they STILL require UConn to win their championships:

(by the way, those beautiful ladies won the national championship too, because that's how we do...)

Reaction Score
While you are on the topic of winning in Field Hockey, I can also mention an irrelevant sport we are just as good in: fencing! Ok, really going now.

Be well, my husky friends.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is a river of stupid on this board that bursts its banks every now and then in threads like this. The irrational hatred of the C7 has no good explanation, but it reflects badly on all of us because it is so widespread and so irrational. They are winning over the AAC in every way possible, from money to network support to overall quality of play to stability, except for UConn, which is carrying our worthless league. We need to tamp down our own crazy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is a river of stupid on this board that bursts its banks every now and then in threads like this. The irrational hatred of the C7 has no good explanation, but it reflects badly on all of us because it is so widespread and so irrational. They are winning over the AAC in every way possible, from money to network support to overall quality of play to stability, except for UConn, which is carrying our worthless league. We need to tamp down our own crazy.

You're kidding, right?

Fox pays them more...and that's where it ends.

They had a positively dreadful year and I don't know how you define network support, but their Fox Sports 1 experience has been a ratings meltdown.

Our tire fire with ESPN exposure is far better than their tire fire on Fox.

The average Big East game on Fox - 95,000 viewers.
The average American game on ESPN - 293,000 viewers.

Of the 48 Big East non-con games on Fox, 41 scored a ratings number of zero. Five managed a 0.1 and two managed 0.2. On Fox Sports 2, no Big East game reached more than 14,000 viewers. One Seton Hall game effectively had no viewers.

That is dire.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
While you are on the topic of winning in Field Hockey, I can also mention an irrelevant sport we are just as good in: fencing! Ok, really going now.

Be well, my husky friends.

If St. John's won a national title in field hockey, you'd hold a parade right down Archer Avenue.

Nobody would go, but you'd still hold the parade. You know, kinda like St. John's Big East games at MSG against a C7 team.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
One Seton Hall game effectively had no viewers.

All things considered, that's a net positive for Seton Hall and the Big East.

Seriously, if I'm a C7 school, I'm checking every day to make sure those checks are still clearing. That TV cash is the definition of larceny.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
for the most part, the best BB schools in the Old Big East WERE the football schools: Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Louisville were the standard bearers. Occasionally Nova or Georgetown made some noise but not enough to meet the level of the football schools.

Reaction Score
for the most part, the best BB schools in the Old Big East WERE the football schools: Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Louisville were the standard bearers. Occasionally Nova or Georgetown made some noise but not enough to meet the level of the football schools.
I've been saying that for 10 years. It has really been closer to 15. The non-football schools excepting sometimes Villanova, Georgetown and Marquette, were effectively mid-majors in a top tier league. It is actually good for them to be in their own conference now. A couple of them will have a chance to win some games and get to the NCAA tournament from time to time.

Reaction Score
From all accounts, the Catholics are the reason the Big East did football half-assed. The mediocrity continued as the BE invited Marquette and DePaul instead of two football schools. Not that the B.E. would have been saved, but the divide was always there. But hey, the B.E. now has Butler, Xavier, and Creighton to save the day. Elite.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From all accounts, the Catholics are the reason the Big East did football half-assed. The mediocrity continued as the BE invited Marquette and DePaul instead of two football schools. Not that the B.E. would have been saved, but the divide was always there. But hey, the B.E. now has Butler, Xavier, and Creighton to save the day. Elite.
Hindsight being what it is, I think the league would have need to split into two division FB and BBO, with some key crossover games. That said, the failure to bring Penn St. aboard may have sealed our fate. If not, the Miami, VT and BC departures definitely did. Although who knows, if our TV contract had been in a different cycle we might have been saved.

Reaction Score
The A10 is comparable to, if not better than, the B.E. No question that G'town, Nova, SJU were better off partnering with UCONN, SU, PITT than with Xavier, Butler and Depaul.

Reaction Score

Who denigrated who first? If I went on the Providence board to say the university should give up basketball because the program hasn't had any real success at the national level for nearly two decades, and instead, put their focus and dollars into hockey, some fans might push back. (Of course, I would say it in an obnoxious yet constructive and well-wishing way).

The reality is most UConn fans are starved for traditional rivalries, but we don't need to put up with that BS. (As an aside, it looks like we've got match ups in the works with PITT and possibly Georgetown.) Anyhow, I've said in the past that for the C7+3 the NBE is their best and only option, just as the AAC, for now, is UConn's best and only option, no matter what some posters say about NBE and the A10.

Regarding your last comment, I suspect Providence will not be able to shower mens basketball and hockey with P5 like benefits without applying like treatment for other sports.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"Interestingly enough that's what the pundits thought about UConn and Coach Calhoun. Kevin Ollie is 52-18 and has one national title in 2 years."

Ollie won with Calhoun recruits. You know that's a big no-no when discussing coaches. Ollie needs to recruit his own kids and win big with his own kids to prove himself. That's like me having Coach K recruit for St. John's then credit Lavin for the success.

OK, we're done here.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With that said, I will get out of your hair. Really not trying to be a troll, just wanted to get some UConn perspective (and boy did I get it).

No need to keep this threat open, really (or just let it die naturally). The guy is probably not coming back here. He says, "...and boy did I get it," but in reality, he got nothing he didn't deserve.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

YOU ARE LITERALLY THE ONLY PERSON ON THE BOARD WHO WANTS TO BE IN THE "BIG EAST." The only one. So stop pretending that is a debate where both sides have equally supportable views. Everybody thinks you're a crank and have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone. Let that sink in: everyone.

The debate has been over for some time. We -- the UConn community -- do not want to be in the Big East. Now now. Not never.

You're like the Duke brothers at the end of Trading Places. Nobody's turning the machines back on, pal.

Reaction Score

In fairness, UConn owes a lot to the old BE. UConn's problem was it just didn't see the writing on the wall regarding its inevitable demise. The old BE never got away from its Providence-centric existence. From Gavitt to "Meatball" Marinatto; the BE hierarchy was PC biased. PC, with no football or baseball for that matter, wasn't in tune with what a real P-5 conference would evolve into. UConn (Perkins) knew that D-1 football was necessary to take the next step. But, UConn was asleep at the switch with Austin, then Hogan and dreadful Hathaway as AD after Perkins left. UConn is well past any desire to join the new BE. UConn is a dramatically different school then it was in 1979 and its athletics have eclipsed all bounds. UConn's failure was in not realizing that the old BE was nothing more than a small, parochial school conference at its core. It was never going to be a conference that would compete with the P-5 in football with, literally, a half-hearted commitment.

Reaction Score
Just did the calculations…

AAC Total NCAA Appearances: 171 for an average of 17.1 per team

Big East Total NCAA Appearances: 224 for an average of 22.4 per team

The Big East schools have 53 more NCAA appearances.
LOL, St Johns has 1 NCAA appearance in the last decade plus. I think 2 this century. Providence has 2 trips since 2004. If we only count appearances since the end of the 2 handed set shot what's the ratio?

Reaction Score

I really depends upon what "benefits" you are alluding to. You were disagreeing with a poster's comment that autonomy-inspired benefits offered by a P5 or bigger budget school would not affect PC because PC would match those benefits for mens basketball and hockey. Depending upon what benefits you are referencing, they may be also applicable to other sports other than mens basketball and hockey. There's nothing incorrect about that statement.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
YOU ARE LITERALLY THE ONLY PERSON ON THE BOARD WHO WANTS TO BE IN THE "BIG EAST." The only one. So stop pretending that is a debate where both sides have equally supportable views. Everybody thinks you're a crank and have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone. Let that sink in: everyone

The debate has been over for some time. We -- the UConn community -- do not want to be in the Big East. Now now. Not never.

You're like the Duke brothers at the end of Trading Places. Nobody's turning the machines back on, pal.

This is the irrationally crazy bitter ex-girlfriend syndrome I am talking about. Depaul makes over twice as much as UConn from their TV contract. Whatever you think is the right home for UConn, it is idiotic to bash the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom