IMO: Does Warde provide updates on his "monitoring" of the conference situation | The Boneyard

IMO: Does Warde provide updates on his "monitoring" of the conference situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am lost. I changed this. I can't stand this guy and his failures, I don't give him a pass because of Hathaway or Uconn men's or women's hoops success.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
To answer your OP question: yes he does. He takes over the mic at the Annual Foundation Dinner with Bob Diaco in July when Coach Diaco is asked what UCONN fans can do about CR and says "buy tickets". He's giving UCONN fans two very important opportunities to show its reach in the northeast: a game at Yankee Stadium in the coveted NYC market and a game at Gillette Stadium in the coveted Boston market. UCONN fans need to buy tickets. 23,000 fans went to a football game today. UCONN's case will only be made on the day that it can prove that it can bring money to a P5 conference. When 23K show up to a football game, that day isn't today.

Reaction Score
That's an excuse, not an answer. I wouldn't expect anything different from him. Paul P was a terrible hire, Warde was a close 2nd.

To answer your OP question: yes he does. He takes over the mic at the Annual Foundation Dinner with Bob Diaco in July when Coach Diaco is asked what UCONN fans can do about CR and says "buy tickets". He's giving UCONN fans two very important opportunities to show its reach in the northeast: a game at Yankee Stadium in the coveted NYC market and a game at Gillette Stadium in the coveted Boston market. UCONN fans need to buy tickets. 23,000 fans went to a football game today. UCONN's case will only be made on the day that it can prove that it can bring money to a P5 conference. When 23K show up to a football game, that day isn't today.

Reaction Score

When people use half an inch of snow or 90 degree weather or I'd rather watch a game on my big screen instead of taking in the game experience, we are not ready yet

Reaction Score

I am so sick and tired of the fans being blamed for this mess. UConn will have to give away tickets soon to get 23,000 fans to show up if they keep up the crap I saw today.

Make no mistake about it. UConn's QB and OL were completely over matched today. Against Stony Brook. Chew on that for a second. If we don't get that KO return no way in hell does Whitmer move that team down the field to get a score. That is where the product currently is. BC's stadium was empty for a conference game. UConn the week before got 35,000 for a program that is at it's weakest. So excuse me if I am tired of the constant buy tickets refrain. Nobody is going to buy tickets to watch a team this bad. Won't happen here or anywhere.

The only way the fans will come right now is if the product dramatically improves. And fast. No one should be expected to pay money for what I saw out there today. The only people who can improve attendance are the coaches and players. Even if there is a lack of talent you can play football in a way that can earn the fans respect. You won't do that by being out gained offensively against Stony Brook at home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Asweet is right. Its not diacos fault where we currently are, but you can forget growing the fan base till the product improves. Chicken or the egg I know. Diaco is getting paid well to fix this I believe he will but right now, with that type of play makes no sense to complain about fans. Only a massochist willingly sits through that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just curious, how does gate impact our ability to bring revenue to a conference?

Reaction Score
When I was an undergrad at UCF, UCF was a pretty decent I-AA team. They played off-campus, and I went to few games. I had no interest in I-AA football. When UCF started playing more I-A schools, I attended more games, even though we usually lost. For a fan experience, I'd rather lose to a big-time opponent than beat a small-time opponent. JMO.

Reaction Score
Fine, if you're a Warde homer you're lost. He's terrible. He's failing at his most critical tasks and takes credit for things he has nothing to do with. But hey, we have a game at Yankee stadium for football, he's made us New York's team, so how could the B1G not take us.

He was supposed to have a close relationship with the BCU AD and administration and that would help us gain their support. They voted for Ville and against UConn.

It's amazing this guy is the figurehead for UConn athletics, it's an embarrassment.

What a terrible thread.

Reaction Score
So in the one month between when Bates was hired and Louisville was voted in you think it's reasonable to expect WM to fix everything with BC? WOW, just WOW!

Reaction Score
Should have quit right there..
It's like people expect Warde to undo years and years of inaction on UConn's part immediately. I've been critical of the Virgin Islands thing, but at best that was a coin flip that didn't go in our favor. I think Warde is positioning UConn for the next round of CR. No one knows when they start.

Reaction Score
Fans show up in hard times, bandwagoneers show up when the "product is good" or the "name opponent" is in town.
So the question becomes how do you get them as fans in the first place? Magic?

Reaction Score
So the question becomes how do you get them as fans in the first place? Magic?

I don't know who "them" is, when I'm addressing someone specifically that's who I was talking to, but read between the lines all you want. Here, seeing no one else cares to filter there dumb opinions, this is mine, in general terms seeing that's how you want it, and maybe it will help you a bit so you don't have to read it wrong;

If anyone is on these boards then I take that as you are a fan of the team, so if you spout off about crap fine but if you say you want your money back or don't know if you will renew your tickets, etc, I say don't let the door hit you in the backside jumping off you fake SOB's. No matter how crappy we have ever been one thing that has never waivered is my dedication for the UConn teams; be critical, analyze, whatever, but we show up, and if you don't then you have zero to add to the conversation so STFU.

Reaction Score
I am so sick and tired of the fans being blamed for this mess. UConn will have to give away tickets soon to get 23,000 fans to show up if they keep up the crap I saw today.

Make no mistake about it. UConn's QB and OL were completely over matched today. Against Stony Brook. Chew on that for a second. If we don't get that KO return no way in hell does Whitmer move that team down the field to get a score. That is where the product currently is. BC's stadium was empty for a conference game. UConn the week before got 35,000 for a program that is at it's weakest. So excuse me if I am tired of the constant buy tickets refrain. Nobody is going to buy tickets to watch a team this bad. Won't happen here or anywhere.

The only way the fans will come right now is if the product dramatically improves. And fast. No one should be expected to pay money for what I saw out there today. The only people who can improve attendance are the coaches and players. Even if there is a lack of talent you can play football in a way that can earn the fans respect. You won't do that by being out gained offensively against Stony Brook at home.

The product won't improve at tne speed you want because the A S S C L O W N you have as your profile picture put us in this position!

Reaction Score
You do understand that even before we got into Big East Football, members were trying to get out and had been lobbying/building relationships earlier. I'm sure Rutgers was in talks with B1G for a long time. Louisville, strong well attended hoops program, an expanding football program and strong investment and successes in other sports. Southern school also. We are a northern school with an adolescent football program. It was not hard to sell any academic improvement also..

Reaction Score
That's an excuse, not an answer. I wouldn't expect anything different from him. Paul P was a terrible hire, Warde was a close 2nd.
You need to rethink this....It should be...Hathaway was a terrible hire, Pasqualoni was an equally terrible hire!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

WTF do you want Warde to do? Provide daily updates about CR? Warde didn't hire P. Hathaway did. And if you think Warde is an inferior AD to Hathaway, then you are as lost as you said.

"Yesterday I shared with the Illinois AD about what we ate for breakfast. I think I've established a core friendship and secured a "Yes" vote for a B1G invite. Today, I tried calling OSU AD about scheduling a football home and home and he hung up on me."

You asked what Warde is doing. He's scheduling games to give UCONN fans a chance to prove our market reach. He's cutting ticket prices in half for all home games. UCONN fans packed MSG in last year's Regional Finals. That's great but not enough because Hoops aren't driving the CR bus, as we all should know by now. Football drives the bus and we're the only tri-state team that hasn't played a single game at Yankee Stadium or MetLife to show our NYC reach. Believe it or not, a Yankee Stadium game IS important and strategic. If there are only 20K at that game against Army, then that falls WELL short of what Rutgers and Cuse have drawn in their opportunities. If we draw equally or outdraw them, then we show our NYC reach.

I can't believe that I have to spell this out so many ' times. If you don't understand this, then maybe you should stop posing these types of questions on the CR board. Fans = money. Money = Power Conference invite. Football is the sport that generates the most money for Power Conferences. Warde can't force people into buying tickets. That, my friend, falls on the UCONN fanbase. 250K packed the streets of downtown Hartford for a parade. If a portion of those people can just ante up 20 ' dollars using a weekly Promo code for discounted tickets, then that would help our situation. If you're waiting for UCONN football to win first before going to games, then you might not go to a game for a few years. By then, Cincinnati/UCF/BYU/Houston will have leapfrogged us as the next in the line (if they haven't already). And if you have that "team has to win first before I go to a game" attitude, what happens if we get into the B1G or ACC and we suck for a while? Neither Delany or Swofford will want to add UCONN if we are a losing program AND our fanbase won't go to games while we lose. If UCONN fans supported a lousy team, then that makes a HUGE statement about the fanbase that it will bring in tons of extra loot towards a Power conference.

Ultimately, everyone decides whether or not they will buy a ticket based on their own individual situation. That's fine. But if you're choosing to not go to football games because the team is losing, then you can't complain that UCONN is in the AAC or that "Warde is doing nothing". He's hired Diaco and a whole new coaching staff, has scheduled games in the #1 and #7 DMA that UCONN would like to establish a presence in to the B1G/ACC, and has slashed prices to tickets at every single home game. If our diehard football fanbase is only 15-25K strong (using this range based on announced crowds from the past two seasons), then like it or not, that's AAC worthy. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom