I'm still completely ecstatic | The Boneyard

I'm still completely ecstatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Fellow BYers, I am in WCBB heaven, even a week later.

I got to see UConn beat ND yet again. It wasn't the prettiest game, but I am happy to call it one of the ten best NC games in WCBB history. And I'm even happier to call the UConn Husky WCBB program 10-time national champions.

I guess we can even call it Ckoud Ten; we've one-upped Cloud Nine. One cloud per natty- makes sense, right?

I've previously called the program the gift that keeps on giving, and did we ever receive a great gift this season. Specifically, we got a 38-1 season, one (sort of) marred by a single blemish. By the conclusion of the games in Estero, FL, Geno said he liked the team he had. After December 6, it was clear his burgeoning confidence was justified to say the least. By the conclusion of the Final Four, UConn had beaten the other three F4 teams by 18, 25, 23, and 10 as the season wore on. Oh yeah- the Huskies also throttled Duke.

The loss to Stanford was only a temporary setback. What followed was the completion of yet another three-peat. There have been five three-peats since 1972, and UConn has TWO of them. That's just incredible.

What's also unique about UConn's three-peat is that it could well be a four-peat. Neither UConn in 2005, Delta State in 1978, nor Tennessee in 1999, came all that close. Immaculata did make it all the way to the 1975 AIAW finale, but lost by nine. In other words, the Mighty Macs got close to four in a row, but the Huskies figure to get even closer to say the least.

Breanna Stewart seemed a bit brash, unafraid to upset the mojo, by saying she hoped to win four NCs. Now, it seems like the most reasonable, attainable goals she might have had.

Meanwhile, we even got to see KML set a record that at times seemed a stretch, and to see her score the last seven points of UConn's season. I feel complete gestalt- utter actualization and fulfillment of what was once potential and is now joyous reality.

Next season, we'll be excited about the prospect of yet another NC, and the Huskies of Honor wall will be littered with names of players who have given us gift after gift over the past few years.

In conclusion: I'm happy. Let's celebrate all offseason, shall we?

Reaction Score
Woohoo!!!!!!!

upload_2015-4-12_20-3-44.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I got to see UConn beat ND yet again. It wasn't the prettiest game, but I am happy to call it one of the ten best NC games in WCBB history. And I'm even happier to call the UConn Husky WCBB program 10-time national champions.

I guess we can even call it Ckoud Ten; we've one-upped Cloud Nine. One cloud per natty- makes sense, right?

I've previously called the program the gift that keeps on giving, and did we ever receive a great gift this season. Specifically, we got a 38-1 season, one (sort of) marred by a single blemish. By the conclusion of the games in Estero, FL, Geno said he liked the team he had. After December 6, it was clear his burgeoning confidence was justified to say the least. By the conclusion of the Final Four, UConn had beaten the other three F4 teams by 18, 25, 23, and 10 as the season wore on. Oh yeah- the Huskies also throttled Duke.

The loss to Stanford was only a temporary setback. What followed was the completion of yet another three-peat. There have been five three-peats since 1972, and UConn has TWO of them. That's just incredible.

What's also unique about UConn's three-peat is that it could well be a four-peat. Neither UConn in 2005, Delta State in 1978, nor Tennessee in 1999, came all that close. Immaculata did make it all the way to the 1975 AIAW finale, but lost by nine. In other words, the Mighty Macs got close to four in a row, but the Huskies figure to get even closer to say the least.

Breanna Stewart seemed a bit brash, unafraid to upset the mojo, by saying she hoped to win four NCs. Now, it seems like the most reasonable, attainable goals she might have had.

Meanwhile, we even got to see KML set a record that at times seemed a stretch, and to see her score the last seven points of UConn's season. I feel complete gestalt- utter actualization and fulfillment of what was once potential and is now joyous reality.

Next season, we'll be excited about the prospect of yet another NC, and the Huskies of Honor wall will be littered with names of players who have given us gift after gift over the past few years.

"Littered"? :) We now have Mosqueda-Lewis and will soon have Jefferson and Stewart. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Tuck. In fact, I pretty much expect it. After that, who knows: Nurse, Williams, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield, Walker?

Reaction Score

I'm right with you. I've watched live, twice on video, and once one ESPN3 (multicam). BTW: Multicam is great. No commentary. You can actually hear the players. So much to admire: Stewie's emotions; Her homage to Jefferson; Kiah's funny quip. Winning 10: Icing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
have watched the final game 3x so far, can now erase from my dvr last year's throttling of ND in the semi finals ( which I went back to when I needed lift from winter doldrums ). This program got me thru a horrific winter in 2004 when I was paralyzed by West Nile virus and my life was turned upside down.
they inspired me then; they inspire me now. Wow- how lucky to live in CT and have following this team to look forward to each bb season. Couldn't ask for more.

Reaction Score
Natalie is thinking, "Was I REALLY considering Virginia?"
Seriously!

Also, don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems to me that since at least the AAC championship started, Natalie has been in the foreground as opposed to the background... in photos, film, comments. I like it! I'm thinking that she will be ready, willing, and able to become an important part of the team AND starting line-up next season. Hope I'm correct on this one.

HGN

Reaction Score
Seriously!

Also, don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems to me that since at least the AAC championship started, Natalie has been in the foreground as opposed to the background... in photos, film, comments. I like it! I'm thinking that she will be ready, willing, and able to become an important part of the team AND starting line-up next season. Hope I'm correct on this one.
Java , I think your perception is correct. Natalie does seem to be blending in better and being more and more natural around her teammates. And that's a great thing for the team moving foreward. I don't know whether Geno will start her next year or let her be a Higher Octane Kiah off the bench. Either way I think she is going to be a weapon.

Reaction Score

Well said. We can all go to sleep each night with smiles on our faces. But I don't think the loss to Stanford was a "temporary setback". It was just what this team needed. I really had the feeling at the time that they weren't going to allow that to happen again!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It's a funny thing about sports. There are often various ways to accurately describe a given event. Please consider:

A) If one player, on one play, in one game hadn't doubled the wrong player, UConn would have had another perfect season

-or-

B) The Stanford loss was, at least partially, a blessing in diguise.

And your choice or preference would be?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's a funny thing about sports. There are often various ways to accurately describe a given event. Please consider:

A) If one player, on one play, in one game hadn't doubled the wrong player, UConn would have had another perfect season

-or-

it's an interesting question. I'd take my chances with the perfect season after a hypothetical narrow escape. There would certainly be a lot of lessons learned after an almost-loss, perhaps as many as a for-real loss.

But in any case, I'll take the natty and be perfectly content.

Reaction Score
Great post. Seasons and players are so short but satisfying but we are constantly looking forward to the next great. One the reasons that I like the Boneyard so much is that it is a community of real fans who share current and historical memory of the accomplishments of great UConn players and teams as well as other great WCBB. Kudos.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Hello everybody! Just wanted to introduce myself to the board and I felt like this would be a good thread to do so without creating my own thread, which could've came across as obnoxious...

As my name implies, I am a Gamecock fan but I am not new to The Boneyard. I've been lurking here for over a year now and I've finally decided to just join in on the fun! I've watched our program down here in SC grow tremendously over the last few years and I'm really hoping we can continue to be a competitive program in the near future. I'm also hoping that we continue the series with UCONN after next season.. I've only been a fan of WBB for about 5 years and after the season we just had I'm now officially hooked for life. I love the sport and I'm excited for the future of it, so I feel it's only right that I come here to talk with those just as excited about WBB as I am..

As the OP mentioned, UCONN is the program that keeps on giving.. and you all should be extremely proud of what you have in Storrs. I am green with respectable envy at the machine that is UCONN basketball! You all are extremely fortunate... I would literally do cart wheels and somersaults if Dawn Staley brought even a third of that success to SC! Calling Geno a great coach is the understatement of the century... his pedigree speaks for itself.

I'm hoping you all welcome me with open arms and I'm looking forward to talking women's basketball with a group of fans that are even more passionate about the sport than I am..

Cheers ya'll

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seriously!

Don't forget, I think Natalie also paid her own way to South Bend earlier in the year. Those kinds of things can go along way towards building team chemistry so that if your're ever in a tough spot you know who you can count on. Everytime I see Natalie, she is fully involved, looks like she belongs and has been there forever.

Reaction Score

-or-

Blessing. The burden of the streak wears on the psyche no matter how much it is downplayed. This team really didn't need that elephant in the room. The loss was Both a wake up call and a chance to start their own legacy.

Reaction Score
Hello everybody! Just wanted to introduce myself to the board and I felt like this would be a good thread to do so without creating my own thread, which could've came across as obnoxious...

As my name implies, I am a Gamecock fan but I am not new to The Boneyard. I've been lurking here for over a year now and I've finally decided to just join in on the fun! I've watched our program down here in SC grow tremendously over the last few years and I'm really hoping we can continue to be a competitive program in the near future. I'm also hoping that we continue the series with UCONN after next season.. I've only been a fan of WBB for about 5 years and after the season we just had I'm now officially hooked for life. I love the sport and I'm excited for the future of it, so I feel it's only right that I come here to talk with those just as excited about WBB as I am..

As the OP mentioned, UCONN is the program that keeps on giving.. and you all should be extremely proud of what you have in Storrs. I am green with respectable envy at the machine that is UCONN basketball! You all are extremely fortunate... I would literally do cart wheels and somersaults if Dawn Staley brought even a third of that success to SC! Calling Geno a great coach is the understatement of the century... his pedigree speaks for itself.

I'm hoping you all welcome me with open arms and I'm looking forward to talking women's basketball with a group of fans that are even more passionate about the sport than I am..

Cheers ya'll

Please post regularly with your biased observations. That perspective will be well received and hopefully spark some lively discussion about a sport we all love very much. I believe this site is the most comprehensive blog regarding WCBB. And the more fans of other programs we get, the richer the site will be for all of us.

Reaction Score

Cheers ya'll

I'm just not sure you're going to be obnoxious enough.

Reaction Score
...I've been lurking here for over a year now and I've finally decided to just join in on the fun!...
How did you possibly resist joining in during January and the first week of February? After all, you were #1 back then :cool:

...I'm hoping you all welcome me with open arms and I'm looking forward to talking women's basketball with a group of fans that are even more passionate about the sport than I am...
Welcome aboard. Go easy with the praise, though, our heads are already pretty big ...just look at mine. Also, anything you can do to toughen up your skin during the off-season might prove beneficial come November. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

-or-

Definitely B for me. The most interesting thing that happened after that loss was the individual players (Morgan, MoJeff & Kiah) especially deciding they were not going to rely so much on Stewie. They were going to impact the game individually. Not in I'm going to get mine kind of way, more like I am perfectly capable of helping this team so why not. I don't think that kind of growth would have come from a close win.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't forget, I think Natalie also paid her own way to South Bend earlier in the year. Those kinds of things can go along way towards building team chemistry so that if your're ever in a tough spot you know who you can count on. Everytime I see Natalie, she is fully involved, looks like she belongs and has been there forever.
K said that the team knew Natalie was coming but had been delayed. When she arrived, the team was thrilled. K said something like, "Ok, we're all here. Let's go take care of business." So they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom