I'm Rooting for the Irish | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm Rooting for the Irish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate Notre Dame but I want them to win by 50 this week in front of what basically amounts to a home crowd of 45,000 ND fans and 30 Cuse fans.

Yeah I said thirty, I know that may be too high.

Reaction Score
I hate Notre Dame but I want them to win by 50 this week in front of what basically amounts to a home crowd of 45,000 ND fans and 30 Cuse fans.

Yeah I said thirty, I know that may be too high.

I hope you're right. I'm flying out from Chicago for this game, and a 50 point win will definately make it worthwhile.

Reaction Score
Sounds good to me. I think that Brian Kelly would like to play someone from his coaching tree, too.

I just don't know if there is any lingering bad feelings inside the ND athletic department over the defunct ten game deal a few years ago.

Really, why would be bad feelings on ND side! they weren't the ones being bent over? Such arrogance is very unbecoming.

Reaction Score
Sounds good to me. I think that Brian Kelly would like to play someone from his coaching tree, too.

I just don't know if there is any lingering bad feelings inside the ND athletic department over the defunct ten game deal a few years ago.

I hope you're not serious.

We were in the Big East. That 10 game deal was just not a good one for where our Program sits. And I'd say also that it's not in ND interests. We are a solid Olympic AD that ND should want to play in most everything. Games that sell for Women's BB & Men's Soccer & now Hockey. I'd suggest the ND AD develop a strategy to play UConn regularly in many sports. We are good & we are National - in sports ND cares about. Or they can be foolish sulks.

Reaction Score
I hope you're not serious.

We were in the Big East. That 10 game deal was just not a good one for where our Program sits. And I'd say also that it's not in ND interests. We are a solid Olympic AD that ND should want to play in most everything. Games that sell for Women's BB & Men's Soccer & now Hockey. I'd suggest the ND AD develop a strategy to play UConn regularly in many sports. We are good & we are National - in sports ND cares about. Or they can be foolish sulks.

Do you think that the current relationship between the UConn and ND athletic departments is a good one or a bad one, all things considered?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Aren't there about 10 message boards where people can sing the praises of Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
No problem, that hastened the firing of Charlie Weis and the hiring of Brian Kelly. Thanks for that.

There are more than ten message boards that sing the praises of ND.

I was just answering a post about UConn and ND scheduling some football games.

I said I was in favor of it. I only wondered if ND's athletic department has a bad relationship with its counterpart at UConn, that is all.

pj

Reaction Score
If controversial calls continue and ND feels they'll always be cheated out of conference championships and playoff access, maybe they'll want to be in a conference.

But if they feel the ACC cheated them, they might choose a different conference. Maybe their B1G grudge could be forgiven.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The ACC is backing the call, thus backing FSU. ND is on their own, as should be expected. If there are a few more late game calls like the one we saw Saturday night that prevents ND from playoff access, it should only hasten their need to join a conference full-time.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...re-dame-florida-state-interference-call-right

This means that while FSU will get to beat up on weak ACC opponents from here on out, they are safe to gain playoff access. This 1 loss knocks Notre Dame firmly below other conference leaders and even some 1-loss conference members. ND will now need a litany of upsets (and to run the table themselves) to get playoff consideration. And this will happen each and every year that this is an issue. ND should expect this and if they complain about not getting into the playoff after Saturday night's game, that's the peril of being stubborn about retaining independence. Can't have both ND: conference independence to get a jump on recruiting nationally AND backing from conferences over things like questionable officiating. Time to join a conference or just be content with national recruiting and playing in meaningless bowl games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will still be college football's darling in most cases even if they have one loss. I don't have a firm perspective yet on whether losing one of their annual set of ACC games is better or worse (for their playoff hopes) than losing one of their "independent" games. I would think that losing to a direct playoff contender (like FSU) -- whether ACC or not -- would hurt them... yet many are speculating the SEC West could get two in the playoff this year, whereby one certainly lost to the other already.

Reaction Score
A 1 loss ND with their strength of schedule not getting a playoff spot while a 1 loss Old Miss/Miss St/TCU/K State/Baylor getting one with cause a lot of waves.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If controversial calls continue and ND feels they'll always be cheated out of conference championships and playoff access, maybe they'll want to be in a conference.

But if they feel the ACC cheated them, they might choose a different conference. Maybe their B1G grudge could be forgiven.

ND will always go for the most money. If the B1G offers the best deal...all past issues will be forgiven.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
P5 conferences are ALWAYS going to support their playoff candidate. As long as the playoff remains at 4 and remains a Popularity contest decided by a ridiculous panel of "experts" (i.e. - WTF does Condoleza Rice know about football??), then this will allow for conference commissioners and school Presidents to lobby on behalf of their conference mates. I have no doubt that Notre Dame doesn't have their fair share of lobbyists too but they're just one school interested only in itself. They will have to play catch-up in too many areas to gain playoff access if the current system stays as-is. Not only will they have to run the table year after year, but they will also have to keep scheduling ridiculously tough opponents (as they are already starting to do). They're bound to lose 1-2 games per year and that puts them behind a lot of 8-balls.

Of course, if the playoff system changed (which it probably will) to 8 teams, then ND probably can get in given their ability to play difficult schedules. It'll be interesting to see how many and what conferences support a 8-team model. You'd likely see some ND division amongst those ranks.

Reaction Score

They will forgive the B1G grudge when they will be getting so much more money with total membership in the B1G than the ACC. There is no question that as long as they are partial ACC members, any football games that will decide if an ACC member of ND goes to the playoffs, the officials of the ACC will favor the ACC and not ND. If the playoffs stay at 4, and ND will find itself on the outside looking in, they will make a break as the handwriting is on the wall for them.

Reaction Score
Some points here:

The Big Ten schools already made more TV money than ND since 2010 with the Big Ten Network but ND picked the ACC partial deal ( and less TV money) instead. Purdue and Indiana make more TV money than ND. No matter.

ND signed a contract with the ACC that if ND has to join a conference before 2027, it has to be the ACC.

ND signed the ACC Grant of Rights and $50 million dollar exit fee (or whatever it ends up in court/ settlement).

ND despises the Big Ten and is extremely unlikely to ever join that conference.

I seriously doubt that call will alter 127 years of identity or ND's long term strategic plan to be a national recruiting and scheduling school.

ND believes it can make the playoffs as an independent. This talk of controversial calls impacting independence is just idle, baseless speculation.

Reaction Score
ND will always go for the most money. If the B1G offers the best deal...all past issues will be forgiven.

The Big Ten has always offered the most money. ND does not want to be in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Some points here:

The Big Ten schools already made more TV money than ND since 2010 with the Big Ten Network but ND picked the ACC partial deal ( and less TV money) instead. Purdue and Indiana make more TV money than ND. No matter.

ND signed a contract with the ACC that if ND has to join a conference before 2027, it has to be the ACC.

ND signed the ACC Grant of Rights and $50 million dollar exit fee (or whatever it ends up in court/ settlement).

ND despises the Big Ten and is extremely unlikely to ever join that conference.

I seriously doubt that call will alter 127 years of identity or ND's long term strategic plan to be a national recruiting and scheduling school.

ND believes it can make the playoffs as an independent. This talk of controversial calls impacting independence is just idle, baseless speculation.

Question - How much, if any, does the impact of ND's non-revenue sport teams have on any such conference decisions? Travel is not a big issue for football; but, I imagine that sending the field hockey, soccer, track teams, etc. to games in Chicago and Ann Arbor are a lot cheaper than sending them to Miami, Chapel Hill, etc.

Reaction Score
Question - How much, if any, does the impact of ND's non-revenue sport teams have on any such conference decisions? Travel is not a big issue for football; but, I imagine that sending the field hockey, soccer, track teams, etc. to games in Chicago and Ann Arbor are a lot cheaper than sending them to Miami, Chapel Hill, etc.

Not much. ND is not worried about travel costs. The athletic department pays for itself and usually returns about $20 million per year to the academic side.

ND's other sports had travel costs in the old Big East when playing on the East Coast at Boston College, UConn, Rutgers, etc...,.plus travel to South Florida., for example. Not really an issue.

Reaction Score

I don't think the non revenue sports have any significant impact on ND's decision to join a conference. As long as ND can maintain its independence in football, it may base a decision on which conference is best for the other sports, but if the only option that allowed football independence was to stay in the Big East, that's what would have happened. The advantage of the ACC was that we can play in Hockey East for hockey, ACC teams for most sports, play in the Carolina's, Georgia's and Florida for football recruiting, and still keep our rivalries with USC, Navy, and Stanford. Basically, it's all about football. The other sports are nice, but it's all about football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom