I'm Rooting for the Irish | The Boneyard

I'm Rooting for the Irish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This season I’m rooting for ND to stay relevant in the playoff picture. I can’t stand them but I think if they are in the discussion for the playoff it can help Uconn. Here’s how:

Scenario 1: 1 loss ND gets a spot in the playoff excluding a P5 conference champ which pisses them off and leads to a rule requiring playoff teams to win their conference. All P5’s would vote for this (especially ACC which stands to gain the Irish fulltime).

Scenario 2: 1 loss ND gets left out but a 1 loss P5 gets in pissing off the Irish which in my fantasy world leads to them joining the ACC fulltime.

Either scenario leaves ND joining the ACC fulltime and then they need one more team to make it an even 16… I know Frank the Tank has said ND would rather not make the playoff than join a conference but one can dream right?

Reaction Score
ND will join a conference as soon as it is a requirement for inclusion in the playoff. The Big Ten won't vote to make that a requirement because they dont want to see ND join the ACC in football.

Reaction Score
ND will join a conference as soon as it is a requirement for inclusion in the playoff. The Big Ten won't vote to make that a requirement because they dont want to see ND join the ACC in football.
Ok so let's assume it comes down to a vote and only the P5 votes matter.

B1G votes no
ACC votes yes (Swofford takes over the Evil Genius title from Delany if he can pull this off)
P12, SEC vote yes (less of a chance their conf champ loses playoff spot to ND)
B12 votes no but could be swayed if the TV money makes it worth their while.

I have no idea how the vote would work but I don't think it would need to be unanimous.

Reaction Score
This season I’m rooting for ND to stay relevant in the playoff picture. I can’t stand them but I think if they are in the discussion for the playoff it can help Uconn. Here’s how:

Scenario 1: 1 loss ND gets a spot in the playoff excluding a P5 conference champ which pisses them off and leads to a rule requiring playoff teams to win their conference. All P5’s would vote for this (especially ACC which stands to gain the Irish fulltime).

Scenario 2: 1 loss ND gets left out but a 1 loss P5 gets in pissing off the Irish which in my fantasy world leads to them joining the ACC fulltime.

Either scenario leaves ND joining the ACC fulltime and then they need one more team to make it an even 16… I know Frank the Tank has said ND would rather not make the playoff than join a conference but one can dream right?
Ok so let's assume it comes down to a vote and only the P5 votes matter.

B1G votes no
ACC votes yes (Swofford takes over the Evil Genius title from Delany if he can pull this off)
P12, SEC vote yes (less of a chance their conf champ loses playoff spot to ND)
B12 votes no but could be swayed if the TV money makes it worth their while.

I have no idea how the vote would work but I don't think it would need to be unanimous.
ND is for ND and no one else. The powers that be would give ND a vote of it's own. That would make it a 3-3 tie. Furthermore, ND tells conferences what to do, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
I can see the SEC throwing it's weight, which combined is more that ND's, around should a higher ranked, 1 loss team loose out a playoff bid to a 1 loss ND because the P5 knows that ND brings in more money than an SEC team not named Alabama.

That said, the P5 will vote to move to a 8 team playoff as the solution to fix this issue.

Reaction Score
ND is for ND and no one else. The powers that be would give ND a vote of it's own. That would make it a 3-3 tie. Furthermore, ND tells conferences what to do, not the other way around.

So are you saying that UConn would pass up an invitation to join the Big Ten if offered because they are in full support of the other teams in the AAC? At a minimum I think a case can be made that ND has supported Navy when they didn't have to.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
So are you saying that UConn would pass up an invitation to join the Big Ten if offered because they are in full support of the other teams in the AAC? At a minimum I think a case can be made that ND has supported Navy when they didn't have to.

UConn supported its league, but then saw every other team abandon the league. We've realized that UConn's leaders were dumb. It is every man for his own interest. Still, you want to find a league of culturally similar schools so that interests are aligned. The question then arises, how well aligned with other school's interests is Notre Dame? It is sort of a culture of one, without peers. Maybe BYU is similar.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can see the SEC throwing it's weight, which combined is more that ND's, around should a higher ranked, 1 loss team loose out a playoff bid to a 1 loss ND because the P5 knows that ND brings in more money than an SEC team not named Alabama.

That said, the P5 will vote to move to a 8 team playoff as the solution to fix this issue.

Seriously, every football vote should have double weight given to the SEC voting panel. The SEC rules college football in every possible way. If they say that you need to be in a conference to get into a playoff, then that's how it should be. I doubt you'd hear much fuss from ESPiN/ABC, FOX and CBS either (although NBC will pitch a stink) since it would drive more weight and viewership to their conference content.

But yeah, ND isn't joining anything until that requirement is passed.

Reaction Score

I think the ND angle is overdone. As far as ND changing the playoff landscape by virtue of some ancient legacy, I don't believe it happens. I think it is more likely that ND becomes irrelevant in the national playoff picture as the better P-5 conferences ascend.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the ND angle is overdone. As far as ND changing the playoff landscape by virtue of some ancient legacy, I don't believe it happens. I think it is more likely that ND becomes irrelevant in the national playoff picture as the better P-5 conferences ascend.

I think this is basically it.

If the playoffs go to eight, maybe Notre Dame is in the conversation more often, but as it is now, how often do we really expect Notre Dame to be in contention?

Reaction Score

I think ND and the SEC with both push for the playoffs to go to 8. There will be too many times when in the eyes of the South, an undefeated ACC/PAC/B1G gets into the playoffs while a 1 loss SEC team does not. Not to mention the money. This would also protect the P5 should a non-P5 team, like BYU this year, with a decent strength of schedule go undefeated and warrant an invite because with only 4 slots, they will not get invited and lawsuits will flow.

Reaction Score
This is a very bad analogy...the best of the Big East left, and UConn staying put was placed in the AAC...so as for allegiances, why would we have loyalty to schools we hardly know? In fact I would say ND knew more of the old Big East Schools then we did and you guys stomped all over that conference. -Oh and I say this because at the time ND versus Pitt or ND versus BC go way back. But comparing UConn to the AAC is like ND to the Old Big East - sorry this analogy does not compute. Definitely calling the Irish out on this carpet. Another typical excuse for backstabbing by THE Judas University. Oh and please, I'll let you explain why it is I refer to ND as the Judas University. Hint! What did Judas do to ? You should be able to take over from here.

Reaction Score

Personally, I would rather that ND had to put together very tough schedules and run the table to be selected for the playoffs instead of it joining a football conference to take an easier route and give up independence in the process.

They won't likely run the table this year, I believe. But, with Golson and 99% of the team back next year and bit more manageable of a schedule, perhaps.......

I suspect that many, many ND fans think the same. If ND is 11-1 and passed over, so be it. That would just be the cost of doing business (as a football independent).

P.S. The SEC is not going to agree to a conference champs only requirement. It wants to get multiple teams into the playoffs.

P.P.S. ND is 40-15 under Brian Kelly, 36-10 after a 4-5 start his first year. Kelly is 24-5 since the start of the 2012 season. (Four of those five losses came last year when Golson was suspended, Gunner Kiel had transferred and ND had to play cement shoes, noodle armed Tommy Rees at QB).

So, ND may be in the playoff picture in the future more than many think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kelly has done a great job recovering from a spate of so-so coaches.

As of now there are 7 SEC teams in the top 15. That will change over the season as they knock each other off, but it shows one conference's current dominance in the game. If the playoff number stays at four, I think you'll see 2 SEC teams regularly.

If it goes to 8 (which I think will be hard to do), it will be hard to argue with the SEC getting at least 3 teams in based on intra-conference competition. There will be room for an undefeated ND squad, but will strength of schedule hurt them? Wouldn't they stand a better chance as a one loss team that plays a brutal schedule, than a team that runs the table with a schedule with several cupcakes? Although this year, if they beat FSU @ FSU and otherwise run the table, I would think they will get a spot.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I think this is basically it.

If the playoffs go to eight, maybe Notre Dame is in the conversation more often, but as it is now, how often do we really expect Notre Dame to be in contention?

They are two years away from the NC game and are ranked #8.

Facts are getting in your way.

I want to see ND get left out because they didn't get a chance to play Duke in the ACC championship game. That will get them to the table toot suite.

Reaction Score
Personally, I would rather that ND had to put together very tough schedules and run the table to be selected for the playoffs instead of it joining a football conference to take an easier route and give up independence in the process.

They won't likely run the table this year, I believe. But, with Golson and 99% of the team back next year and bit more manageable of a schedule, perhaps..

I suspect that many, many ND fans think the same. If ND is 11-1 and passed over, so be it. That would just be the cost of doing business (as a football independent).

P.S. The SEC is not going to agree to a conference champs only requirement. It wants to get multiple teams into the playoffs.

P.P.S. ND is 40-15 under Brian Kelly, 36-10 after a 4-5 start his first year. Kelly is 24-5 since the start of the 2012 season. (Four of those five losses came last year when Golson was suspended, Gunner Kiel had transferred and ND had to play cement shoes, noodle armed Tommy Rees at QB).

So, ND may be in the playoff picture in the future more than many think.

I agree with this. Due to the team's youth, I don't think any ND fans thought this would be a year we challenged for a spot in the playoff. But while not 99%, only three of the players that started against Michigan are out of eligibility after this year, and only five of the two deep. So most ND fans think 2015 will be the year, unless injuries or NFL defections become an issue.

Reaction Score
Kelly has done a great job recovering from a spate of so-so coaches.

As of now there are 7 SEC teams in the top 15. That will change over the season as they knock each other off, but it shows one conference's current dominance in the game. If the playoff number stays at four, I think you'll see 2 SEC teams regularly.

If it goes to 8 (which I think will be hard to do), it will be hard to argue with the SEC getting at least 3 teams in based on intra-conference competition. There will be room for an undefeated ND squad, but will strength of schedule hurt them? Wouldn't they stand a better chance as a one loss team that plays a brutal schedule, than a team that runs the table with a schedule with several cupcakes? Although this year, if they beat FSU @ FSU and otherwise run the table, I would think they will get a spot.

Here are ND's schedules for the next few years. I don't think strength of schedule is going to hurt the Irish if they win big. Quite the opposite, in fact:

2014 Football Schedule

ND 48 Rice 17
ND 31 Michigan 0
ND 30 Purdue 14
S27 @ Syracuse (Meadowlands) 8pm ABC
O04 STANFORD 3:30pm ET NBC
O11 NORTH CAROLINA 3:30pm ET NBC
O18 @ Florida State
N01 @ Navy (Landover, MD) 8pm ET CBS
N08 @ Arizona State
N15 NORTHWESTERN 3:30pm ET NBC
N22 LOUISVILLE 3:30pm ET NBC
N29 @ Southern Cal

2015 Football Schedule

S05 TEXAS
S12 @ Virginia
S19 GEORGIA TECH
S26 UMASS
O03 @ Clemson
O10 NAVY
O17 SOUTHERN CAL
O31 @ Temple (LFSF)
N07 @ Pittsburgh
N14 WAKE FOREST
N21 BOSTON COLLEGE (Fenway Pk.)
N28 @ Stanford

2016 Football Schedule

S03 @ Texas
S10 NEVADA
S17 MICHIGAN STATE
S24 DUKE
O01 @ Syracuse (Meadowlands)
O08 @ North Carolina State
O15 STANFORD
O29 MIAMI
N05 @ Navy
N12 ARMY (Alamodome)
N19 VIRGINIA TECH
N26 @ Southern Cal

2017 Football Schedule

not official

S09 GEORGIA
TEMPLE
NAVY
SOUTHERN CAL
@ Michigan State
@ Stanford
2 ACC at home
3 ACC away

2018 Football Schedule

not official

STANFORD
@ Navy
@ Southern Cal
3 ACC at home
2 ACC away

2019 Football Schedule

not official

S19 @ Georgia
NAVY
SOUTHERN CAL
@ Texas
@ Stanford
2 ACC at home
3 ACC away

2020 Football Schedule

not official

TEXAS
STANFORD
@ Purdue
@ Navy
@ Southern Cal
3 ACC at home
2 ACC away

2021 Football Schedule

not official

PURDUE
NAVY
SOUTHERN CAL
@ Stanford
2 ACC at home
3 ACC away

2022 Football Schedule

not official

STANFORD
@ Navy
@ Southern Cal
@ Ohio State
3 ACC at home
2 ACC away

2023 Football Schedule

not official

NAVY
SOUTHERN CAL
OHIO STATE
@ Stanford
2 ACC at home
3 ACC away

Reaction Score
Looks like ND needs some teams to play in 3-4 years. How about doing Diaco a solid and schedule us? Diaco will have his fingerprints all over the roster by then and can only get better

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
P.S. The SEC is not going to agree to a conference champs only requirement. It wants to get multiple teams into the playoffs....

Yes, agreed, but they can't do it that often. The SEC really needs an 8 team playoff, then it can shoot for 3 of the 8.

Reaction Score
Looks like ND needs some teams to play in 3-4 years. How about doing Diaco a solid and schedule us? Diaco will have his fingerprints all over the roster by then and can only get better

Sounds good to me. I think that Brian Kelly would like to play someone from his coaching tree, too.

I just don't know if there is any lingering bad feelings inside the ND athletic department over the defunct ten game deal a few years ago.

Reaction Score
For the same reason they have in the past. They make money by including them. If they didn't they wouldn't have let them get away with all of their s*** for the last 50+ years.

Well that and it helps keep the antitrust hounds well fed.

Reaction Score

Hubris, the name is Notre Dame (and they say the Big Ten has an attitude) . :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sounds good to me. I think that Brian Kelly would like to play someone from his coaching tree, too.

I just don't know if there is any lingering bad feelings inside the ND athletic department over the defunct ten game deal a few years ago.

I'd imagine there is relief in South Bend that they didn't lock into a 10 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom