I'm not sure conference is that important... | The Boneyard

I'm not sure conference is that important...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
How well you run your athletic department is more important that conference.

I would rather have great coaches than a fat check from ESPN.

Since 2004, would you rather be UCONN or BCU? Cincy or Miami?

Its not even close.

Since, 1998, would you rather be UofL or any number of never-beens in the ACC & Big 11?

Boise or Washington over the last 5 years? TCU or Kansas? WVU or Miami?

Outside the traditional powers - Ohio St, Michigan, Alabama, TX, USC etc. - which are always going to do well, is it that big an advantage to be in the same conference as these guys?

Yeah, money matters. If UCONN got a hot, young coach, it would be easier to keep him if we were in the Big 11.

But RR left WVU for Michigan. Don't know if UCONN would ever be able to fight that dynamic no matter how big the checks we cashed are.

Let me put it this way, I would rather Kevin Ollie be another Jim Calhoun that be in the ACC.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Awfully hard to keep a hot shot young coach if you don't have the fat checks rolling in. We don't have enough big donors to rely on that funding so we need more $$ from the conference.

Reaction Score
Problem is way too many things in college football are tied to conferences. BCS bowl bids, TV money, SOS and many others. If we can get $$$$$$$$ without joining a conference, that be great. However, it does not seem possible right now.

Reaction Score
If we sold out all our games and travelled well, everything would takecare of itself. Unfortunately our fan base has regressed since the height of Husky Hoopla in the 90's

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Its not even close.

Since, 1998, would you rather be UofL or any number of never-beens in the ACC & Big 11?

Outside the traditional powers - Ohio St, Michigan, Alabama, TX, USC etc. - which are always going to do well, is it that big an advantage to be in the same conference as these guys?

Yeah, money matters. If UCONN got a hot, young coach, it would be easier to keep him if we were in the Big 11.

But RR left WVU for Michigan. Don't know if UCONN would ever be able to fight that dynamic no matter how big the checks we cashed are.

Let me put it this way, I would rather Kevin Ollie be another Jim Calhoun that be in the ACC.

Well I didn't think you could top your St Randy jihad but congrats you pulled it off.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
This is a joke, right?

No.

When BCU went to the ACC, they told us we would rot on the vine and they would be a national power in both BB and FB. Hasn't worked out.

Yes, its great to be one of the elite programs in the top 5 conferences, but what about after that?

Washington, CO, Washington St that much better than UCONN? Is Indiana light years ahead of UCONN? Is Wake Forrest at a whole different level?

I would rather have great coaches than a great conference. I would rather know that KO is going to be a HOF coach than get in the ACC or Big 10.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No.

When BCU went to the ACC, they told us we would rot on the vine and they would be a national power in both BB and FB. Hasn't worked out.

Yes, its great to be one of the elite programs in the top 5 conferences, but what about after that?

Washington, CO, Washington St that much better than UCONN? Is Indiana light years ahead of UCONN? Is Wake Forrest at a whole different level?

I would rather have great coaches than a great conference. I would rather know that KO is going to be a HOF coach than get in the ACC or Big 10.

But we've been in a major conference...one that is getting a whole lot less major by the minute. When were we ever in a league featuring Memphis, CFU, Houston, SDSU and before this season, Temple? In fact, we had WVU until this year. It's not that being in a major conference makes you good, it's that being in a minor one makes it very hard to be good. The Big East is over as a major conference. The western schools will go to the MWC and we might cobble together some more dregs from CUSA...or go to a better conference.

And Washington would beat the snot out of us this year, the others, no.

Reaction Score
No.

From a football angle, when the music stops, and you are not in a seat at the adult table, it will be very difficult to be an elite program. BYU coach was quoted as saying that without being in a conference, the new playoff system hurts them. He feels that being undefeated will not be enough. BYU would need two seasons without a loss to be invited just to garner the votes that they are for real. And that's just the competition angle. There are a minimal amount of FBS programs at least breaking even. When you are talking about a difference in 10's of millions of dollars a year depending on what conference you are in, that creates a very tangible difference.

Basketball, which you reference, is a different beast entirely. Because of the money the Final Four generates for the NCAA, basketball will still be given consideration as a revenue driver. However, it is completely secondary to football. Calhoun and Geno are Hall of Famers regardless of what happened with UConn football. It's the nature of the games. The biggest names in coaching in college basketball today all admit they are aboard for the ride in conference realignment. They are not steering the ship.

Are Washington, Washington State and Colorado better than UConn in football today? No. However, I'd much rather be in their position from a regards of being in a stable conference and the ability to recruit top-flight talent. Of those three schools and UConn, which would you think has more of a chance being ranked in the top 10 first? We could have the same record as any of those schools however they will be ranked higher based on SOS which is greater because they have to play more competitive schools in-conference. Oh, and UW and CU have national titles on their resume. We don't even have a non-shared conference title.

Honestly, I wish it did not matter.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Its not even close.

This wouldn't have happened if St Randy was here.

Reaction Score
It's a false choice. One doesn't have to choose between Jim Calhoun and a better conference.

But if you are in a better conference you still have hire a good coach, or else you become Washington State.

One thing that is important to us regardless is selling tickets. In a better conference you will get more appealing opponents. We need to start filling the Rent again.

A better coach will help in that area too.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Its not even close.

The five stages of grief:
denial
anger
bargaining <------ You are here.
depression
acceptance

Reaction Score
This is akin to saying
"I don't care if I don't get into MIT and have to go to Manchester Community College, since a few MCC graduates have been incredibly successful and a few MIT grads have not."

Good luck with that. Let's check back in 20 years.

Reaction Score
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reaction Score
Step 1 : Are we Notre Dame?

If no, then : Conference matters.

Thank you! Indeed, conference affiliation matters. Think of conference affiliation as paper currency . . . a hundred dollar bill and a one dollar probably feel the same to the human hand in a "blind touch test" , but what a difference. I don't care how well the athletic department is run . . . Membership in one of the Power Conferences (now 5 after the BE became roadkill) is what matters most - unless you're Notre Dame. To think otherwise is to be fooling yourself and maybe you'd be more interested in the world of the Ivy League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom