If we don't get an invite | The Boneyard

If we don't get an invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will place a lot of the blame on P and GDL. Consecutive losing season's couldn't have come at a worse time. Hopefully the ACC looks at our full body of work and not just the past 2 horrendous years.

Yup. People on twitter have been making it sound like Louisville is Alabama compared to us when just 2 years ago we were ahead of them. We threw away a bowl last year by handing away how many games? And you know 5-7 is gonna happen again this year when we lose at UL but beat Cincy at home and that god awful loss to Temple will keep us home.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the ACC looks at our full body of work and not just the past 2 horrendous years.

But that's the thing. 10 years isn't much of a "full body of work", particularly when 2 of them suck.

Reaction Score
I will place a lot of the blame on P and GDL. Consecutive losing season's couldn't have come at a worse time. Hopefully the ACC looks at our full body of work and not just the past 2 horrendous years.

I fully agree, perception trumps reality, and right now everyone thinks we'd be the BC or Indiana of their conference.

Reaction Score
But that's the thing. 10 years isn't much of a "full body of work", particularly when 2 of them suck.

That's a bunch of BS. UConn has clearly proven in these last 10 years they can compete with the ACC. We have shown we can consistently even in our WORST seasons we can beat Pitt and Syracuse who the ACC just invited. We have consistently beaten ACC teams in UVA, Wake Forest, Duke, and Maryland who we'd replace and almost beat NC State and UNC.

Reaction Score
That's a bunch of BS. UConn has clearly proven in these last 10 years they can compete with the ACC. We have shown we can consistently even in our WORST seasons we can beat Pitt and Syracuse who the ACC just invited. We have consistently beaten ACC teams in UVA, Wake Forest, Duke, and Maryland who we'd replace and almost beat NC State and UNC.

When you are faced with a big decision, negative results sometimes out weigh the positives, Louisville is winning right now and we are in second to last place, it's a perception problem and decision makers tend to have poor memory, I'm not blowing smoke, this is the way corporations work.

Reaction Score
When you are faced with a big decision, negative results sometimes out weigh the positives, Louisville is winning right now and we are in second to last place, it's a perception problem and decision makers tend to have poor memory, I'm not blowing smoke, this is the way corporations work.

Well if our President allows that memory to stand we will deserve our fate. UConn is a very easy sell in comparison to Louisville in regards to tv markets (allegedly the driving force), academics (the ACC claims they care about), location, and athletic program. If we can't make that sell we don't deserve an invitation.

Reaction Score

It's not when you put emotions aside and run the overall numbers... perception means nothing against facts!

Reaction Score
If it's about media markets, UConn wins.

But since Big Lou left we have been the horse's ass when it comes to a vision of the athletic department.

Of course, this is the same state that elected Malloy.

Reaction Score
It's not when you put emotions aside and run the overall numbers... perception means nothing against facts!

I agree, let's hope that when a decision is made emotions are in check. We are the right choice, we have the bigger market and a better academic reputation. It should be an easy decision, we shall see.

F

fortebleedsblue

And Calhoun for retiring and the NCAA for the post season black mark.

Reaction Score
If it's about media markets, UConn wins.

But since Big Lou left we have been the horse's ass when it comes to a vision of the athletic department.

.........and Murphy, Blumenthal. Larson, Himes, Esty, DeLauro, and Courtney.

Reaction Score
UConn's football program was moving at a very rapid pace, making up for 70 or so years when they played at D-II (or Sub FCS or Yankee Conference or whatever the heck made them so different than State U's everywhere outside the northeast). It was "tooling up" in facilities and it was making inroads (ie., wins against established programs). In a nutshell it was showing it deserve a seat at the big boy table.

And then along comes PP. A poor, lazy, all too conservative hire when Randy bolted. He not only hasn't won (that happens in college football) but it is the way they haven't won. UConn's offense absolutely, positively looks like it doesn't belong at the BCS level. It's a joke. It's an embarrassment. It's completely out of touch with the modern game of college football and it's boring as can be. It wouldn't cut it at DIII.

PP needs to leave. UConn needs to commit to getting back on the fast paced development. They are playing catch up to most other programs. Be aggressive, be interesting, be innovative - anything but what PP brings to the table.

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone can still try to argue that teams are being taken based on performance. How can you even try to say our last two years will keep us from being selected by the ACC when Maryland was just selected by the B1G despite being the worst team in the ACC over that time. IF we don't get invited it'll be because the ACC thinks they'll make more money adding the Louisville/Kentucky market than they will the Hartford/Connecticut market. Of all the raids in the last five years the only that had anything to do with adding a good program were Nebraska (which is really just an above average program at this point) and West Virginia and TCU, and even West Virginia wasn't taken until Cuse and Pitt were scraped off the table and the B12 desperately needed to replace Mizzou and Nebraska

Reaction Score

Lol - quit the whining - we have not beaten a quality ACC team yet. Georgia Tech? Not even close. VaTech - same. NC State - loss. UNC 2 losses. Wake Forest - home loss. Duke - ok. Maryland - ok. UVA lost when it mattered and splatterred them when they were terrible.

Until we can actually beat QUALITY teams - we are what our record says we are.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more. Hathaway's uninspired "safe" hire may cost us a shot at a new home in the upcoming weeks. One thing that the P/Hathaway defenders forget is that we live in a "what have you done lately?" short-term memory world. RIGHT NOW, Louisville has a better team than UConn so that, in the court of public opinion, means they are the better football program and the reason why FSU, Clemson, VT, and Miami fans are pulling so hard for UL over UConn. If enough alumni voice concern about UConn football, then don't you think those schools *may* be influenced to vote UL over UConn to please their fanbases and, more importantly, donors??

The best thing Manuel could do right now is fire P and GDL, increase the coaching budget, and announce plans for stadium expansion. UL did this a few years ago and now they are viewed in the same breath as Alabama and LSU by the "football fans" of the ACC.

Reaction Score
The really scary thing...if we don't end up in the ACC, the only program that will be major might be hockey...

Reaction Score

I'm just glad you were able to parlay this into a political argument. I'd hate for you to have gone a whole day without blaming Democrats for the sun not shining brightly enough.

Reaction Score
I'm just glad you were able to parlay this into a political argument. I'd hate for you to have gone a whole day without blaming Democrats for the sun not shining brightly enough.
LOL, well put,Irish.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
UConn's offense absolutely, positively looks like it doesn't belong at the BCS level. It's a joke. It's an embarrassment. It's completely out of touch with the modern game of college football and it's boring as can be. It wouldn't cut it at DIII.

We have more passing yards per game than Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio St, LSU, Stanford, Michigan, Florida.

Maybe you are completely ignorant about college offenses.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Money is the main driver, but I'd feel better about our chances if we were out running roughshod over the Big East the last two years. Instead of outright sucking.

Reaction Score
Does anyone on here think this may be a good thing for us down the road if we don't get picked?? Short term yes it sucks but long term I'm not so sure its the best. I know I am in the minority but I DO NOT want to go to the ACC. The ACC is just the new Big East and in the upcoming years the conference is going to get picked apart and we are going to be in the same boat as we are now. When the Big 12, SEC, and Big 10 come calling no one is going to be left in the conference besides Wake, Duke, BC, etc. (private schools who I believe will have to much control....you see where I'm going with this?)

I would much rather us join the Big10 and I for one do not think they are done expanding. If they are taking Rutgers I don't see why they don't just completely swallow up the NYC market and take UConn as well. If its all about the TV sets then I think we would be a logical choice for it. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't UConn, Rutgers, and PSU among the top of fans in NYC? Just seems like a logical choice from what I know.

If we have to wait it out for a couple years for a invite can we possibly go the independent route? I don't want to do this but the Big 10 seems to go at a snails pace when it comes to expansion so it may a while before they decide to expand again. The absolute worse thing that can happen to this program is us going into Conference USA or the MAC. I think that would be a death blow for this program as a whole and I hope the leaders of the university do not allow that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom