If UCONN and nd play 10 times.? | The Boneyard

If UCONN and nd play 10 times.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The day after the NC, notre dame local radio has a review of the game and of course there is discussion as to the effect of not having Achomwa. Granted she is a good player, but could no way counteract the effect of Dolson/Stewart/KML/Stokes. One of the announcers claims that with a healthy Achomwa it could be an even 5-5 split in a ten game series. I contend that if they are each for the NC then UCONN is 10-0. Here is the link at about the 49 minute:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...1e3-88d3-001a4bcf6878/5345d2a3402d9.audio.mp3

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Not criticizing the post whatsoever but my reaction is.... Whatever.

Injuries happen to all teams, including UConn. (Note: See UConn 2000-2001 when UConn lost TWO AA's.)

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Not criticizing the post whatsoever but my reaction is.... Whatever.

Injuries happen to all teams, including UConn. (Note: See UConn 2000-2001 when UConn lost TWO AA's.)

and I don't remember that ND spotted us any points in semi's of the final four that year

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

11.jpg

Reaction Score
Since we are going to play Fantasy Basketball, and they can put Achomwa back in play, can we put Tuck back in play? And better yet, can we erase KML's injury and illness and have her after a complete productive season? I didn't listen to the audio, but did they ask MM who she thought would win? No disrespect to Achomwa, but please explain to me how she is a 20 point swing against UCONN.

45 TO GO

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Really interesting broadcast
They second Muffit's compliments to the UConn "D."
They admit to being devoured inside and do not theorize that Achonwa would have affected the outcome.
Sweet comments on the floor of the house from a Rep from Indiana, complimenting Ct on it's victories.
But the best of all is a plea for Muffit and Geno to make nice for the good of the game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'd give ND two or three games out of 10. They would win one game because of poor shooting and/or foul trouble and give them another game because Loyd and McBride would have great shooting game and each would score 25 points. The third game would be a close game and ND wins in the last minute like they did when they won three out of four.

Reaction Score
I was one of the biggest believers of ND leading up to the National Championship game and there is no doubt that the loss of Achonwa really hurt them. With that being said I don't think ND would win a game in a 10 game series. UConn didn't shoot the ball well at all from the outside and Bria Hartley had possibly her worst game of the season and the Huskies still won by 20. Achonwa would have helped to keep it closer but UConn was the far superior team and it showed.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It didnt happen and it wont happen. How bout talking about NDs 7 wins over and UNHEATHY UConn. How good would Diggins be if she lost most of those games if not all of them because of KML Hartly and other injuries.?? Think about it. We killed ND in FF when we were healthy. What do you think wouldve happened during the season. BTW we would blow out ND with Achonwa healthy.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'd say ND might win 2 of 10 with a healthy Achonwa. Without her, maybe 2 of 100. I'll break down Ace's contributions to show my logic.

Leadership - ND definitely missed this without her and lacked composure.

Offense - Her passing would have created more good looks for Loyd and McBride. Her scoring would not have been much of a factor. She did a lot of her damage in transition and on back cuts. UConn is too well coached to get beat in either of those ways.

Rebounding - I think this would have been her biggest impact. She was the team's best rebounder and tallest regular rotation player.

Defense - She was ND's best post defender. But she struggled at times with more athletic players (ex. Natasha Howard) or bigger, stronger players (ex. Elizabeth Williams). Dolson is bigger and stronger. Stewart is taller and more athletic. Ace is smart so she would put herself in the right places, but she would not be able to stop either player from getting open looks.

With Ace, I think the Irish could perhaps have been even or only trailing by a little on the glass. If Jewell and K-Mac both had amazing offensive games AND UConn missed lots of open shots OR had major foul/injury trouble, ND could have won.

But (at least) 8 times out of 10, ND's post defense and size disadvantage would be exploited too badly to allow the upset. After all, Ace is just one woman. Even if she somehow managed to cancel out Dolson or Stewart (an unlikely feat), the other could still have feasted on Reimer/Braker/Wright.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn won that game on cruise control.

If they both play their A games ten times at full strength, Notre Dame gets completely dismembered five times, partially dismembered three times and merely beaten twice.

Reaction Score
With Achonwa, I think ND could win 1 out of 10 times (horrible shooting night for us, good shooting night for them).

Without Achonwa, we win all 10 times, and by double-digits 9 of those times.

Reaction Score
UCONN would win 3 out of 4. Too hard to "sweep" another great basketball team.

Reaction Score
The following I wrote on another post but applies here also! IMHO UCONN would now beat ND 10 out of 10!
With everything that has occurred leading up to and during the FF, UCONN would put the "pedal to the metal" and have no mercy with ND!
A healthy Achonwa would have made no difference in FF! She would have covered Stef and been brought to tears of frustration with all the inside power the Huskies showed! Stef would still have a double/double vs Natalie and ND had no answer for Stewie, KML, & Kia! ND didn't beat UCONN 7 of 9, UCONN threw 7 of 9 away!
If you want to do a little fantasy, here's a thought to ponder: One member of ND's starting 5 would start for UCONN! MoJeff is a better PG than Allen, Hartley during the season was as good as Loyd at SG, KML was hurt and sick, so McBride would start at SF, (but KML had a great NCAA Tourney, McBride had a lousy NCAA's), Stewie was better than Wright at PF and Stef was better than Achonwa at C!

The 2012-2013 season when ND won the first 3 then lost by 18 in the FF semi's UCONN lost those 3 because they believed a ND media/referees blitz! SD is the greatest ever, they don't foul but draw fouls on ALL their opponents, never say die attitude, most competitive, etc. When they forgot about the "Legend" and played the team, UCONN kicked their butts! This year they did the same, this time by 21! UCONN won't lose to ND again as long as they play UCONN style BB! Muffett's comments/ND's attitude and behavior at Stewie's POY award really pi..ed off the coaching staff and players and they were going to kick the Irish all over the court in the Finals! ND's whining about the lack of respect! You earn respect, you don't demand respect! ND deserves nothing but scorn from UCONN!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The following I wrote on another post but applies here also! IMHO UCONN would now beat ND 10 out of 10!
With everything that has occurred leading up to and during the FF, UCONN would put the "pedal to the metal" and have no mercy with ND!
A healthy Achonwa would have made no difference in FF! She would have covered Stef and been brought to tears of frustration with all the inside power the Huskies showed! Stef would still have a double/double vs Natalie and ND had no answer for Stewie, KML, & Kia! ND didn't beat UCONN 7 of 9, UCONN threw 7 of 9 away!
If you want to do a little fantasy, here's a thought to ponder: One member of ND's starting 5 would start for UCONN! MoJeff is a better PG than Allen, Hartley during the season was as good as Loyd at SG, KML was hurt and sick, so McBride would start at SF, (but KML had a great NCAA Tourney, McBride had a lousy NCAA's), Stewie was better than Wright at PF and Stef was better than Achonwa at C!

The 2012-2013 season when ND won the first 3 then lost by 18 in the FF semi's UCONN lost those 3 because they believed a ND media/referees blitz! SD is the greatest ever, they don't foul but draw fouls on ALL their opponents, never say die attitude, most competitive, etc. When they forgot about the "Legend" and played the team, UCONN kicked their butts! This year they did the same, this time by 21! UCONN won't lose to ND again as long as they play UCONN style BB! Muffett's comments/ND's attitude and behavior at Stewie's POY award really pi..ed off the coaching staff and players and they were going to kick the Irish all over the court in the Finals! ND's whining about the lack of respect! You earn respect, you don't demand respect! ND deserves nothing but scorn from UCONN!
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Since we are going to play Fantasy Basketball, and they can put Achomwa back in play, can we put Tuck back in play? And better yet, can we erase KML's injury and illness and have her after a complete productive season? I didn't listen to the audio, but did they ask MM who she thought would win? No disrespect to Achomwa, but please explain to me how she is a 20 point swing against UCONN.
reno, you missed the point that in Fantasy Basketball Achonwa is 6'6" and the UCONN front three are all 6'1" and 6'2". I don't know how you missed that. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
With the roster as it was for the NC game, 10 games would likely result in 9 UCONN wins and 1 win for ND. Without Achonwa and Tuck, ND is missing more than UCONN, but Tuck would have been our first player off the bench and would have likely seen 20 minutes per game if completely healthy. I give ND the one win because it's possible that Moriah, Bria, Kaleena and Stewie could have all been totally cold in one game and McBride and Loyd totally hot. And maybe in that 1 win for ND, the refs lose their minds and call every ND flop as a charge on UCONN.

Now, if you want to guestimate based on ND having Achonwa, and UCONN having Tuck, I still only give ND 1 win out of 10. Why? Because Tuck is really good, and just like the reasons above, UCONN was just that much better than everyone else last year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The dominance of our front court players early ... Stewie and Stef 9 for 10 in that early surge ... has to be credited with shaking ND and it's game plan. What sealed the deal was our girls' unrelenting defensive intensity, led by our guards, and the head spinning speed of offensive execution. UC wins 7 or 8 of 10.

Reaction Score
The keys IMO for that imaginable 10 game scenario are the location of the games (neutral), do Natalie A. And Tuck play and do the refs call those games in the same manner as they did the final. If the refs call a close game and UConn fouls more as a result than ND would have a better chance of maybe winning a game or few. Regardless I think ND would have not be able to win more of 2 games as UConn proved this season the ability to overcome almost anything (injuries to key players, cold shooting nights, etc).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm with Fishy on this one. UConn wins all 10.

If we have a healthy Morgan Tuck, we win all ten by double digits (yeah, we had our injury problems too). For crying out loud, we played the entire tourney with essentially a 6-man rotation! And nobody came within single digits of us....all year....

Reaction Score
UConn won that game on cruise control.

If they both play their A games ten times at full strength, Notre Dame gets completely dismembered five times, partially dismembered three times and merely beaten twice.
Good call Fish.

Reaction Score
We never had Tuck too long so I left her off. Put her on - potentially without a doubt the greatest team ever assmbled (though would Stokes be as good?). At least now there is some doubt. Tuck offers a different look than our other three bigs and can be explosive. We're much. much stronger with her. I didn't include her in this discussion because basically we didn't have her for the season while ND did have Achonwa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom