IF there is Big 12 Expansion | Page 5 | The Boneyard

IF there is Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I would love to see a UL / WVU swap, if only to see the dood's reactions.

Reaction Score
We're not going to the Big 12. We couldn't get support from the ACC which has better basketball, worse football, and teams in our general area.

Plus the Big 12 is too stupid to want us.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I would love to see a UL / WVU swap, if only to see the dood's reactions.
I would love to see a Cinci/WVU swap for exactly the same reasons.

pj

Reaction Score
We're not going to the Big 12. We couldn't get support from the ACC which has better basketball, worse football, and teams in our general area.

Plus the Big 12 is too stupid to want us.

The ACC is stupid enough that they'd rather block the B12 than do what's in their own self-interest. They didn't get interested in a network until after the B1G and SEC were already rolling in the dollars.

Reaction Score
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20150723/GZ02/150729694

There is an official expansion committee. We are well past the realm of moonshine drinking, basement dweller, fantasy.

Manuel has two options: 1) Make the sale and he is a hero. 2) Don't make the sale, and he should be fired. Sometimes, "trying" is not enough. Get it done.

There's definitely a third option, and it's better than both of those.

Reaction Score
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20150723/GZ02/150729694

There is an official expansion committee. We are well past the realm of moonshine drinking, basement dweller, fantasy.

Manuel has two options: 1) Make the sale and he is a hero. 2) Don't make the sale, and he should be fired. Sometimes, "trying" is not enough. Get it done.
I liked your post not because I think Warde should be fired if we don't get the invite, but because this should be priority number one in storrs. Sell Fox on the idea that if they add uconn to the big 12, they can also get uconn to play Big East teams regularly in mens and women's bball, thus elevating that conferences moribund TV ratings as well.

UConn has to make itself a viable candidate here. This requires all hands on deck, not just Warde.

Reaction Score
There's definitely a third option, and it's better than both of those.
That is correct...and for anyone who saw this article, interesting to note that they list 7 schools not named UConn. Despite the Big XII being a horrible fit, it is disheartening that someone took the time to list Colorado State.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I liked your post not because I think Warde should be fired if we don't get the invite, but because this should be priority number one in storrs. Sell Fox on the idea that if they add uconn to the big 12, they can also get uconn to play Big East teams regularly in mens and women's bball, thus elevating that conferences moribund TV ratings as well.

UConn has to make itself a viable candidate here. This requires all hands on deck, not just Warde.

Anyone who has been in sales knows that sometimes there are just no more excuses. Get whoever you have to get into a room with the buyer and get the freaking sale closed. If Manuel needs to get 1 or more of the following in the room, get them in the room: Herbst, Malloy, Murphy and Blumenthal, business leaders, UConn alum at ESPN, the ladies from the VIP room at Beamers, whoever. If it doesn't close, it is on him.

If I were Manuel, I would take a trip this afternoon to Louisville and sit down with the guy that kicked Warde's ass last time Warde was in this spot. What did Jurich do? I bet it involved a lot of coke and hookers, but he got it done.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Yeah, Tom Jurich will tell Warde the magic sales pitch.
hqdefault.jpg

junglehusky

Reaction Score
The "magic" sales pitch that Jurich used was simply that Louisville was interested. The rest was unnecessary and did not contribute to their being chosen. The ACC presidents simply made the choice that Florida St and Clemson had to appeased.
That should be obvious, but apparently fans and maybe some of the media can't help themselves but to buy into the legend of Bill Brasky, I mean Tom Jurich.

Reaction Score
Unless that's not what the BOT wants. Can't kill Warde for not trying if management isn't interested in the Big 12.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tom "Blake" Jurich or is it Nelson "Blake" Muntz

(The actual clip is twice as long and NSFW...and not as funny...)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unless that's not what the BOT wants. Can't kill Warde for not trying if management isn't interested in the Big 12.

If the management isn't interested in a Big 12 invite they should be replaced yesterday. Herbst, Warde and anyone else who isn't 'interested'.

You can't convince them - understood. You aren't interested? Next rocket to the sun.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
If the management isn't interested in a Big 12 invite they should be replaced yesterday. Herbst, Warde and anyone else who isn't 'interested'. You can't convince them - understood. You aren't interested? Next rocket to the sun.

My bigger point is this isn't on Warde alone.

Reaction Score
My bigger point is this isn't on Warde alone.
Other than the most extremely optimistic posters here, I think there is a lack of confidence in him in general, whether deserved or not after he was schooled by Jurich. Certainly he will be judged based on the outcome of CR in the next year or so. However, I believe that UConn is already invited somewhere. Just waiting for the announcement. Then he will be a hero.

Reaction Score
Other than the most extremely optimistic posters here, I think there is a lack of confidence in him in general, whether deserved or not after he was schooled by Jurich. Certainly he will be judged based on the outcome of CR in the next year or so. However, I believe that UConn is already invited somewhere. Just waiting for the announcement. Then he will be a hero.
thats my sense of the situation too!

Reaction Score
According to McMurphy on radio today discussing Memphis's chances for the Big12:

“When the ACC made their last move with expansion, they took Louisville. The reason why they took Louisville is not TV market, it wasn’t size of the city, size of the state. It was who is the best available football program out there? That’s why they got Louisville. If it would’ve happened a couple years earlier, it probably would’ve been Connecticut. They were coming off the Fiesta Bowl, the basketball team had won the national title, Louisville was struggling. … So what may seem like the best two teams right now may look a lot different in three years.”

Reaction Score
Louisville is not leaving 1 potentially doomed P5 for another potentially doomed P5 and the ACC looks to be the safer bet of the two. Now, say Missouri gets invited to the B1G and accepts (guess their President would jump at that, AD less so) and the SEC invites Louisville to fill that slot, then the Cards jump.
The Cards would not want to be in a conference that Kentucky is a charter member. We would become the other school from Ky. Louisville wanted to be in the BE. That is the conference that we were always trying to get in. When it broke up Louisville would have went to any P5, but the ACC is a dream come true.

pj

Reaction Score
According to McMurphy on radio today discussing Memphis's chances for the Big12:

“When the ACC made their last move with expansion, they took Louisville. The reason why they took Louisville is not TV market, it wasn’t size of the city, size of the state. It was who is the best available football program out there? That’s why they got Louisville. If it would’ve happened a couple years earlier, it probably would’ve been Connecticut. They were coming off the Fiesta Bowl, the basketball team had won the national title, Louisville was struggling. … So what may seem like the best two teams right now may look a lot different in three years.”

This quote just makes it obvious how stupid it was to pick Louisville over UConn. You lose an enduring advantage in the form of large markets in exchange for ephemeral football success.

This only makes sense if UConn became unavailable due to interest from the B1G.

Reaction Score
Yes UConn has secretly been in the Big 10 since before the ACC invited Louisville.

It's going to be a special two hour episode of Punked. The look on Waylon's face is going to be hilarious.
There are very few things that annoy me on this,forum. The idea that UCONN is going to be okay no matter what or that there is some secret agreement with a P5 conference is one of them.

UConn is currently assed out. If the big 12 expands from G5 schools, that isn't going to set off musical chairs in the P5. Who knows when if ever another opportunity arises. It has been 3 years since Louisville got added over us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom