If the re-tooling keeps going in the current direction... | The Boneyard

If the re-tooling keeps going in the current direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
...then I believe new Big East may have a fighting chance.

Yes big markets are important and are a driving force behind realignment, but the very essence of college football still lies in the intense, bitter rivalries between schools and teams. With both of those in mind, the proposed additions could produce:

* TCU-SMU. The Iron Skillet, every year in the Metroplex. No it's not the RRR, but at least it would register locally to start, then nationally in a few years' time.
* USF-UCF. These schools truly despise each other, from the top down. The 'War on I-4' has a ton of potential to draw heat from the Tampa and Orlando markets.
* Temple-Nova. This one - for the Mayor's Cup - would be a couple of years down the line as Nova still needs to upgrade, but both teams in a BCS league together could possibly get folks in 'Philly talking about CFB regularly. They'd need to work at it, though.
* Cincy-UofL-Memphis. I know: ewww. But the Tigers have long-standing rivalries with both Cincy and UofL and would immediately garner local attention in those cities if they were brought in. But Memphis FB has fallen off so badly as of late, it would be a tough sell. So if it doesn't fly, then the Keg of Nails can continue and would do just fine.
* WVU-ECU. A rival for the 'Eers is a toughie. The obvious one - the 'Coal Bowl' with Marshall - is unfortunately a non-starter because the Herd's school is substandard for the Big East, even in the league's current state. The Pirates would provide a bit of juice here, but if they're a no-go then WVU can pick up where they left off with UofL.

And then there's...

* UConn-Rutgers. I despise Exit 9, and I'm sure their fans can't stand our Huskies - a natural rivalry if ever there were one. If it can't happen in the ACC then it might as well happen in an okay league with a few other nice rivalries, right?...

Reaction Score
SMU (or Houston) and UCF is enough - will take the Big East back to 12/17. The big worry for the Big East basketball schools is UConn, WVU, UL etc bailing and then being stuck with schools with no basketball traditions that are a long flight away.

Reaction Score
...then I believe new Big East may have a fighting chance.

Yes big markets are important and are a driving force behind realignment, but the very essence of college football still lies in the intense, bitter rivalries between schools and teams. With both of those in mind, the proposed additions could produce:

* TCU-SMU. The Iron Skillet, every year in the Metroplex. No it's not the RRR, but at least it would register locally to start, then nationally in a few years' time.
* USF-UCF. These schools truly despise each other, from the top down. The 'War on I-4' has a ton of potential to draw heat from the Tampa and Orlando markets.
* Temple-Nova. This one - for the Mayor's Cup - would be a couple of years down the line as Nova still needs to upgrade, but both teams in a BCS league together could possibly get folks in 'Philly talking about CFB regularly. They'd need to work at it, though.
* Cincy-UofL-Memphis. I know: ewww. But the Tigers have long-standing rivalries with both Cincy and UofL and would immediately garner local attention in those cities if they were brought in. But Memphis FB has fallen off so badly as of late, it would be a tough sell. So if it doesn't fly, then the Keg of Nails can continue and would do just fine.
* WVU-ECU. A rival for the 'Eers is a toughie. The obvious one - the 'Coal Bowl' with Marshall - is unfortunately a non-starter because the Herd's school is substandard for the Big East, even in the league's current state. The Pirates would provide a bit of juice here, but if they're a no-go then WVU can pick up where they left off with UofL.

And then there's...

* UConn-Rutgers. I despise Exit 9, and I'm sure their fans can't stand our Huskies - a natural rivalry if ever there were one. If it can't happen in the ACC then it might as well happen in an okay league with a few other nice rivalries, right?...
How about naming all of them the "Just Another Meaningless Football Game" trophy

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Yep.

People, bless you, but stop trying to talk yourself into the Big East. You clearly read like you don't even believe what you say, but if you will it, it is no dream.

Well, Donnie died at the end of the movie too.

(And yes, I am aware that "If you will it, it is no dream" means the opposite of what I wrote, but I had one shot at a Lebowski reference, and I was going to take it without apologies.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom