If it's not broke....... | The Boneyard

If it's not broke.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is a lot of talk around Boston that the Sox need to use their minor league talent to bring in some help for the rest of the year. There's discussions about the need to bolster the bullpen, find a closer and bring in another right handed bat. I think they should stand pat. The only thing I would be interested in would be Cliff Lee for Jon Lester and that probably won't happen.

Reaction Score
I keep Lester.

If Bradley shows he is for real now, I'd move Ellsbury for a good arm. We aren't signing him....get something now.

Reaction Score
I keep Lester.

If Bradley shows he is for real now, I'd move Ellsbury for a good arm. We aren't signing him....get something now.
Good point on Ellsbury. With Boros as his agent, there is almost certain to be a free agent bidding war. When that happens the winner usually ends up being the loser.

Reaction Score
I keep Lester.

Ellsbury only has value to teams in a race and they know they will lose him to free agency so his value is limited. They would be trading to get a player for 1/2 a season. The Sox would be better off keeping him for the same reasons other teams may want him. As far as Lester is concerned, you don't trade starting pitching if you want to compete.Losing Miller was huge.

Reaction Score
I do not think the Sox would trade Ellsbury to a contender in the AL so it would have to be an NL team like Pitt, Zona or the Reds, ala, the Sabathia deal.

If they can get a guy like LaPorta (who was a very highly rated prospect at the time of the CC deal) I think they have to consider it.

Reaction Score
Ellsbury only has value to teams in a race and they know they will lose him to free agency so his value is limited. They would be trading to get a player for 1/2 a season. The Sox would be better off keeping him for the same reasons other teams may want him. As far as Lester is concerned, you don't trade starting pitching if you want to compete.Losing Miller was huge.
Lester has now struggled for the last year and a half as a starter. His ERA is one of the worse in the AL over that time frame. His fastball appears to still have some zip but his location has been terrible. He has had the benefit of some pretty good pitching coaches watching him and yet he continues to be mediocre. I wonder if they should try him out in the bullpen. Dennis Eckersley started out as a starter and was pretty effective winning 20 games for the Sox at the tender age of 23. By 28 he began to lose his effectiveness. Oakland picked him up and made him a closer and he dominated there for the next eleven years. At this point, why not give it a try?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I keep Lester.

I'll tell you what the Sox should get, a third title in three years by keeping him. The Sox still get 2 draft picks by keeping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom