If BYU was our partner in making us better as Diaco said... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If BYU was our partner in making us better as Diaco said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I expect some dividends. Included in that is not just beating Nova, but doing it handily.
That is not realistic. Beating Nova should be realistic but not handily. Nova is a consistent top tier FCS program that has built depth and a team around both O and D schemes. Look at their recent results against Uconn's peer schools:
2014 SU 1 point loss
2013 BC 10 point loss (Nova winning until late in the third quarter)

This game will say a lot about growth within all aspects of the program.

As a BD agnostic at this point, I will say that his going out and grabbing a JUCO QB and the transfer in of a quality player are actual positive signs of a head coach that has a grasp on reality and taking steps to try and fix the biggest holes in the program.

Reaction Score
That is not realistic. Beating Nova should be realistic but not handily. Nova is a consistent top tier FCS program that has built depth and a team around both O and D schemes. Look at their recent results against Uconn's peer schools:
2014 SU 1 point loss
2013 BC 10 point loss (Nova winning until late in the third quarter)

Yup. And here's something else for HCBD and his staff to think about for our 9/3/15 meeting. Last year, Nova's junior QB John Robertson won the Walter Payton Award (the FCS equivalent to the Heisman) and junior LB Don Cherry (from Trumbull - maybe some of you know him or his family?) was runner up for the best defensive player award.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Yup. And here's something else for HCBD and his staff to think about for our 9/3/15 meeting. Last year, Nova's junior QB John Robertson won the Walter Payton Award (the FCS equivalent to the Heisman) and junior LB Don Cherry (from Trumbull - maybe some of you know him or his family?) was runner up for the best defensive player award.
So you're telling me we're screwed?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The team would be favored in 2 games in 2015 as of right now.

Talking about 5,6,7 wins? Maybe hold off and see if they actually have a quarterback that is playable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Villanova flat out had a better team last year and bring back a lot.

They need that game bad. If you think they are going to go out and beat Villanova handily....

Reaction Score
I expect Nova will be giving us 2-3 points in this one and it could be more. Is what it is.

Reaction Score

Talking about 5,6,7 wins? Maybe hold off and see if they actually have a quarterback that is playable.
Which 2 pray tell?

Reaction Score

I was thinking/hoping two but one is certainly better than none.

Reaction Score
I think there is the potential for a 4-5 win season, but a many key areas have to fall nicely into place:
  • Interior of the OL has to improve immensely. Huge question mark. I actually feel pretty good about the tackles and TEs.
  • We need a QB to give enough balance to the offense to keep defenses on some semblance of honesty. Some play action and I think a QB who can run a bit. I would take Tyler Lorenzen II in a heartbeat.
  • Turnovers come way down. It will be an 0-12 season if care for the ball resembles last season.
  • Defense will hinge on young corners which is not good. There must be a pass rush to protect them.
That's a lot. 2-0 start against Nova and Army would be huge, which pretty much sums up the state of this program. Diaco has 4 years I would imagine, but without progress next season anything and everything has to be on the table. He did himself no favors screwing the pooch at the end of last season.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What the frick are we doing? Potential for 4-5 wins? How about we lower the expectations to not hurting ourselves getting off the bus? Jeebus, that doesn't help the program.

By the way, the Dooch's comment that he's not watching tape from last season is grounds for a stern talking to. It's ok to not set the depth chart according to last year's tape, probably smart but not watching the mistakes and judging who improved at camp is just all kinds of dumb. When we are calling for their jobs at the end of this season (or after Army) this will be exhibit A.

Did I say do not lose to Nova or Army?

Reaction Score
You can have your expectations and I will have mine. After what I witnessed last season, 4-5 wins against the 2015 schedule feels like real progress to me.

Reaction Score
By the way, the Dooch's comment that he's not watching tape from last season is grounds for a stern talking to. It's ok to not set the depth chart according to last year's tape, probably smart but not watching the mistakes and judging who improved at camp is just all kinds of dumb. When we are calling for their jobs at the end of this season (or after Army) this will be exhibit A.

Meh - There are quite a few coaches who have the same belief (or at least least say the same thing <coachspeak>) - including UConn Hockey's Mike Cavanaugh.

From an article a few weeks ago about when he came to UConn: "When Cavanaugh arrived as coach before the start of the 2013-14 season, he purposely avoided video of his team's past play."I wanted to come in here with a totally unbiased, clear mind," Cavanaugh said"<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe Army. But USF has beaten us 2 times in a row. Why will we be favored?

That isn't how it works. The reason would be they are power rated equal and game is in East Hartford.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Meh - There are quite a few coaches who have the same belief (or at least least say the same thing <coachspeak>) - including UConn Hockey's Mike Cavanaugh.

From an article a few weeks ago about when he came to UConn: "When Cavanaugh arrived as coach before the start of the 2013-14 season, he purposely avoided video of his team's past play."I wanted to come in here with a totally unbiased, clear mind," Cavanaugh said"<<

It's a bit of a different scenario. Cav and even Coach D were coming into brand new situations where baselining the squad made some sense.. It's essentially the same coaching staff this year. You mean to tell me that none of the coaches has an opinion on the performance and areas in need of improvement. If we are going to start from scratch again, we may as well show this crew the door right now. Unless all of last years coach speak was garbage. I was promised a drastic improvement and I'm holding them to that. Put a respectable team on the field or .

Reaction Score
It's a bit of a different scenario. Cav and even Coach D were coming into brand new situations where baselining the squad made some sense.
Why is it a different scenario? You took the new OC to task for his comment but isn't he coming into a brand new situation regarding the offense?

Reaction Score
It's a bit of a different scenario. Cav and even Coach D were coming into brand new situations where baselining the squad made some sense.. It's essentially the same coaching staff this year. You mean to tell me that none of the coaches has an opinion on the performance and areas in need of improvement. If we are going to start from scratch again, we may as well show this crew the door right now. Unless all of last years coach speak was garbage. I was promised a drastic improvement and I'm holding them to that. Put a respectable team on the field or .

Diaco said the same thing year. I didn't believe him not do I believe Dooch. Don't believe Cav either.

It'd be downright derelict in their duties if they didn't.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Diaco said the same thing year. I didn't believe him not do I believe Dooch. Don't believe Cav either.

It'd be downright derelict in their duties if they didn't.
Very true but it is an easy way to tell all roster members that they have a clean slate to demonstrate to the new coach what their abilities are.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Why is it a different scenario? You took the new OC to task for his comment but isn't he coming into a brand new situation regarding the offense?

I don't agree with it, but it is somewhat defensible if the previous regime asks the squad to do different things or if there isn't enough data on players who are assuming new roles. It makes zero sense for a new regime to default to the previous one's depth chart.

That is completely different for a staff in year two who all but said we are tanking this season to see what these guys can do, then not have the new OC look at the freaking tape. I agree with Jimmy that this is most likely a lie, but don't say it to a fanbase who is on edge to begin with that we've made a second straight hire of some savant looking to reinvent the wheel.

You hear NFL guys on losing teams say they are playing for the tape at the end of the season so other teams can see you can play. Same thing. We have a lot of not ready for D1's run out there last year. Why was that if you are not looking at the tape? It's a stupid comment and even stupider philosophy.

Or are we going to spend this off season preparing to get better, again?

Reaction Score
... but it is an easy way to tell all roster members that they have a clean slate to demonstrate to the new coach what their abilities are.

As told to one reporter:

>>While Verducci knows the styles of each back, he has yet to look at not just the backs, but every offensive player on tape since his arrival.

“I haven’t looked at one snap,” he said. “I just want to have clean eyes when I look at them. I told all the players that. I will look at tape when spring is over, when I need to start looking at the opponents, but we’re strictly focused on evaluation [this spring]. If it was me and I was a young player and maybe I hadn’t played as well as I wanted to, I think if you ask them, they’d appreciate it.”

Verducci doesn’t want to cloud his judgement in that regard and for a very good reason.

“If I look at a tape and I don’t know what they were told to do and I don’t know how they were taught, I’d rather just see how they respond to my interaction with them and go from there,” Verducci continued. “How many chances in life do you get to start with a clean slate?”<<

Is what it is... whatever gets the team to where they need to be.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with it, but it is somewhat defensible if the previous regime asks the squad to do different things or if there isn't enough data on players who are assuming new roles. It makes zero sense for a new regime to default to the previous one's depth chart.

That is completely different for a staff in year two who all but said we are tanking this season to see what these guys can do, then not have the new OC look at the freaking tape. I agree with Jimmy that this is most likely a lie, but don't say it to a fanbase who is on edge to begin with that we've made a second straight hire of some savant looking to reinvent the wheel.

You hear NFL guys on losing teams say they are playing for the tape at the end of the season so other teams can see you can play. Same thing. We have a lot of not ready for D1's run out there last year. Why was that if you are not looking at the tape? It's a stupid comment and even stupider philosophy.

Or are we going to spend this off season preparing to get better, again?

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. He watched the tape. Don't sweat this. Plenty of other stuff to be concerned about.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. He watched the tape. Don't sweat this. Plenty of other stuff to be concerned about.

I grow tired of this coaching staff small timing the fan base as if we don't know what a quality football program looks like. The staff lost a ton of credibility and all of their goodwill last season. I was hoping to see and hear a few differences this off season. Other than a few guys allegedly being in better shape, I haven't heard anything worth noting. Dooch was the only bright spot and he goes and spouts this nonsense. I know he watched the tape, that's not the point. Give us something.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I grow tired of this coaching staff small timing the fan base as if we don't know what a quality football program looks like. The staff lost a ton of credibility and all of their goodwill last season. I was hoping to see and hear a few differences this off season. Other than a few guys allegedly being in better shape, I haven't heard anything worth noting. Dooch was the only bright spot and he goes and spouts this nonsense. I know he watched the tape, that's not the point. Give us something.

It is stupid isn't it? Diaco makes a big deal about academics but then pretends in the media they aren't smart enough to see through this nonsense.

On what planet would it be acceptable for a new coach to not watch tape of the players in the program.

It's a bit of a joke at this point. But fingers crossed - I beleive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom