Ideal 16 Team Conference | The Boneyard

Ideal 16 Team Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since conference realignment is completely driven by money, and the GOR that the major conference members have signed aren't completely ironclad, what if a number of teams from major conferences decided that they would leave their current conferences in exchange for a more geographically feasible model (to cut down on expenses, rekindle regional rivalries, etc) and have the chance of negotiating their own TV/media rights. With the recent deals that power conferences have received and increasing competition for media right with FOX/NBC/ESPN, someone would pay for that content.

I started thinking about this when the discussion of WVU's exorbitant travel costs playing in the Big XII, and it certainly has been discussed with UConn playing in a conference that stretches from Storrs to Dallas to Florida, but that certainly has to be a factor. I also realized that while some of the former Big East teams have done well for themselves in their new conferences (Louisville & Rutgers), others have struggled (Syracuse, Pitt and WVU). If this model could ever be pulled off (.00000001% probability), what could be the best conference that UConn could play in? Here is my take:

North:
UCONN
BCU
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pitt
Penn State
WVU
Cincinnati

South:
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Duke
North Carolina
Louisville
NC State
Wake Forest

Rational: Old Big East/ACC hybrid that brings back a ton of great rivalries in both football and basketball (UConn v Syracuse), (Pitt v WVU), (Cincy v Louisville), (Maryland v Duke), (Duke v Carolina) etc while providing great balance in both football and basketball. Football conference title game could be played at the Meadowlands or Washington DC while the basketball tourney could rotate between NYC/DC as it would be reachable for all schools. The conference footprint obviously isn't as large as other conferences, but the substance of all 16 schools in their respective areas could counter that, along with controlling the NYC media market.

As I stated at the beginning, this would never happen but it would be cool if it ever happened

Reaction Score
Without FSU it gets raped and pillaged. Which is why the current ACC is on shaky ground.

Reaction Score
Ha, this is where it will be in 15 years when all the tv money runs out, and travel costs and rivalries become the flavor of the day. maybe sooner.

Reaction Score
Forget the North Carolina schools. No one from the Northeast wants any All Carolina Conference schools. I would rather see Temple, and (slightly gagging) Notre Dame for a great 14 team conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Forget the North Carolina schools. No one from the Northeast wants any All Carolina Conference schools. I would rather see Temple, and (slightly gagging) Notre Dame for a great 14 team conference.
I have never meet a living UConn fan that gives two $hits about Temple, but for some reason this board is littered with Temple proponents. Temple doesn't care about Temple; I can't imagine why you would rather play them versus UNC/NCSU.

Reaction Score
I have never meet a living UConn fan that gives two $hits about Temple, but for some reason this board is littered with Temple proponents. Temple doesn't care about Temple; I can't imagine why you would rather play them versus UNC/NCSU.
Philadelphia > Raleigh.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
that is a pretty stupid criteria upon which to choose Temple over UNC/Duke/NCSU.

pj

Reaction Score
It would be nice to have a conference mate within driving distance on a Saturday morning and back Saturday night. I think that's the sole attraction of Temple.

Reaction Score
First Choice:

Connecticut
Maryland
Penn State
Rutgers

Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Purdue

Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern
Wisconsin

Iowa
Iowa State
Minnesota
Nebraska

Second Choice:

Connecticut
Maryland
Penn State
Rutgers

Michigan
Michigan State
Notre Dame
Purdue

Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
Ohio State

Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Wisconsin

pj

Reaction Score
Really? You'd take Iowa State over Notre Dame, Kansas, and Virginia Tech?

Reaction Score
Really? You'd take Iowa State over Notre Dame, Kansas, and Virginia Tech?
Yes I would. MY ideal Big Ten would round out at 16 with UCONN and Iowa State. This is not thinking financially or realistically however. But Iowa State fits the Big Ten profile better than any other candidate out there. Large (and quickly growing, larger than Iowa) midwest public research university, AAU member, good (and quickly improving) athletics, natural rivalries with Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska.

The problem is the B1G already covers the state of Iowa with Iowa so Iowa State will never get an invite which is sad. They would have been a perfect fit 50 years ago when conferences were not all about expanding for TV network footprints.

I hate Notre Dame but they have great athe tics in all sports, have many built in rivalries with B1G schools, and would make the B1G even more insanely rich. They don't fit the profile as a public research and they will never agree to be an equal member anywhere so I say screw ND, let them run the ACC to the ground.

Kansas would ge great but I know the B1G would take K State with them and I prefer not to rip apart in state rivaries (another reason why I prefer Iowa State.)

Virgina, same thing, not sure the B1G would take VT along. Also, B1G in the northeast is ok, B1G expanding to the south, not cool. But I'm fairly certain UVA is candidate #1 for the B1G.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Yes I would. MY ideal Big Ten would round out at 16 with UCONN and Iowa State. This is not thinking financially or realistically however. But Iowa State fits the Big Ten profile better than any other candidate out there. Large (and quickly growing, larger than Iowa) midwest public research university, AAU member, good (and quickly improving) athletics, natural rivalries with Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska.

The problem is the B1G already covers the state of Iowa with Iowa so Iowa State will never get an invite which is sad. They would have been a perfect fit 50 years ago when conferences were not all about expanding for TV network footprints.

I hate Notre Dame but they have great athe tics in all sports, have many built in rivalries with B1G schools, and would make the B1G even more insanely rich. They don't fit the profile as a public research and they will never agree to be an equal member anywhere so I say screw ND, let them run the ACC to the ground.

Kansas would ge great but I know the B1G would take K State with them and I prefer not to rip apart in state rivaries (another reason why I prefer Iowa State.)

Virgina, same thing, not sure the B1G would take VT along. Also, B1G in the northeast is ok, B1G expanding to the south, not cool. But I'm fairly certain UVA is candidate #1 for the B1G.

That works for me. As an ND fan, I would consider any scenario that has ND joining the Big Ten as similar to the Americans surrendering to the Japanese on Bataan.

I would consider ND joining the Big Ten as the worst case scenario for ND in conference realignment.

I want no part of ND being associated with the Big Ten. In fact, I would like to see ND stop playing Big Ten schools in all sports, sort of a reverse boycott of the Big Ten's blacklisting of ND back in the old days.

Reaction Score
Every discussion seems to talk about the power 5 plus ND. Why join a conference if you can have your cake and eat it too? In fact, the cynic in me sees other schools like Texas, Ohio State, Alabama...going independent. They are the true money barons so why carry anyone on their coattails? If the average take in the Big 12 is $25 million per, then Texas must be significantly higher than that. About a dozen independents, the P4, G5. Until every school just free lances, feast or famine.

Reaction Score
I'll bite

UConn
Rutgers
Penn State
Cuse

Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
WVU

Michigan
Michigan St
Cincy
ND

Ga Tech
UNC
Duke
NC State

pj

Reaction Score
I'm frankly sick of BC and Cuse. Let them sink into obscurity, Boeheim is the only attraction at Cuse and pleasant environment the only attraction at BC. I'd rather try getting to know B1G schools, that could become a fun league.

Reaction Score
I'd be happy in the Pac16.
You and me
Then again I live 30 miles from Tempe 80 from Tucson,
A six hour drive to LA and some real good air fair deals to most of the other cities
PAC here we come.

CONN Ed

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted." GM
Reaction Score
I'm frankly sick of BC and Cuse. Let them sink into obscurity, Boeheim is the only attraction at Cuse and pleasant environment the only attraction at BC. I'd rather try getting to know B1G schools, that could become a fun league.
It’s already a fun league….without UConn. If you’re looking for a new dance partner try the ACC in a few years.

Reaction Score
CONN Ed said:
It’s already a fun league….without UConn. If you’re looking for a new dance partner try the ACC in a few years.

What team are you a fan of Ed?

CONN Ed

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted." GM
Reaction Score
Nice, the 'like' option was removed from my previous post. Haven't noticed that being done before. A problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom