I wouldn't worry too much about UConn not making much noise in realignment talk | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I wouldn't worry too much about UConn not making much noise in realignment talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I consider myself optimistic about our chances of joining the B1G, but your first paragraph is even too much for me. I mean, this is delusional level commentary. We've got some work to do to get that invite.
If (Heaven forbid) Cincy, UCF, Memphis and Houston all left to the B12 and UConn was stuck in the AAC, Butch would somehow look on the bright side of bringing in UMass and, I don't know, Fordham. Bless his heart.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about UConn not making much noise in realignment talk. At least, not if your goal is to join the B1G. No team that ever made noise publicly about wanting to join the B1G has ever been invited.

Penn State was added in secrecy and the nation was stunned when it was announced the Nittany Lions would be the 11th member of the B1G.

Missouri publicly praised the magnificence of the B1G for months on end when the B1G announced it was exploring adding a 12th member. The result? Nebraska received an invite.

Maryland and Rutgers, much like Penn State, were added in secrecy.

So history shows us that these decisions are largely made in private. No amount of parading will have any effect on UConn receiving an invitation. I'm sure Delany and the B1G Presidents all have a fully vetted list of the pros and cons of adding UConn if they are even considering future expansion. It might happen and it might not happen, but no amount of public outcry to join the B1G will have any impact on the final decision.

So while UCF, Cincinnati, etc. publicly posture for expansion, I don't think its really necessary to do so. At least not if your end goal is to join the B1G. In fact, it's probably good that the UConn administration is so quiet on realignment. Schools that negotiate to join the B1G sign a confidentiality agreement. So no public talk by UConn admins means that UConn could be negotiating with the B1G. If the UConn admin. was being public in the same manner as the UCF's of the world, that would tell us that UConn is not negotiating to join the B1G because it would go against the confidentiality agreement.
In the short term, the B12 is most likely to make a move, and despite having more positives (overall athletics success, academics and research), UConn is down the pecking order for what the B12 wants (football, football, football). Thus UConn fans will likely freak out over the lack of public "noise" since a) it's easy b) that UConn physics professor hasn't yet gotten his time machine to work so that we can go back to the early 2000s and plant a crack pipe on Jeff Hathaway to get him fired before he could hire Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
So I don't hear Stoneybrook campaigning. They are upgrading academics, particularly STEM, and are already AAU, so are they #14 to the B1G?

Most universities are trying to actively upgrade their academics or get more research money. The difference for uconn is that they are making upgrades to both their athletic department, academics, and size of their university in a way that is in line with the BIG 10.

The BIG 10 is trying to expand hockey and lacrosse. Uconn has or is planning to upgrade both to major D1. The BIG 10 is comprised of universities with large enrollments and lots of research money. At a time when uconn is trying to improve the student to faculty ratio, become more selective about which students to accept, and has a housing shortage it is also increasing enrollment and plans to continue that until reaching 23-25,000. Significantly increasing enrollment and adding D1 sports that cost money to operate each year do not make sense unless they are working towards a specific goal to get in the BIG 10. It doesn't mean the big 10 has guaranteed anything to UConn, but it has obviously communicated what UConn needs to do in order to become a top candidate. Given that UConn appears to be taking major steps to do this, then that gives me confidence that UConn will have a good chance of getting in.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Not so sure it's the B1G that has communicated what UConn needs to do, but rather we finally have a leader in charge that knows what it means to be a Top public university and doing everything in her power to continue our rise to the top.

Reaction Score
If (Heaven forbid) Cincy, UCF, Memphis and Houston all left to the B12 and UConn was stuck in the AAC, Butch would somehow look on the bright side of bringing in UMass and, I don't know, Fordham. Bless his heart.
The world could use more Butches IMO...we stress too much about things beyond our control.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Most universities are trying to actively upgrade their academics or get more research money. The difference for uconn is that they are making upgrades to both their athletic department, academics, and size of their university in a way that is in line with the BIG 10.

The BIG 10 is trying to expand hockey and lacrosse. Uconn has or is planning to upgrade both to major D1. The BIG 10 is comprised of universities with large enrollments and lots of research money. At a time when uconn is trying to improve the student to faculty ratio, become more selective about which students to accept, and has a housing shortage it is also increasing enrollment and plans to continue that until reaching 23-25,000. Significantly increasing enrollment and adding D1 sports that cost money to operate each year do not make sense unless they are working towards a specific goal to get in the BIG 10. It doesn't mean the big 10 has guaranteed anything to UConn, but it has obviously communicated what UConn needs to do in order to become a top candidate. Given that UConn appears to be taking major steps to do this, then that gives me confidence that UConn will have a good chance of getting in.
Of course all of those things are exactly what a top flight university would be working on anyway regardless of whether the guiding handing of the B1G was there.

Reaction Score
I hope Delaney is a visionary because all of the improvements that UCONN is making to become B1G-worthy will continue at a much faster clip once it is B1G-member.

Reaction Score
I consider myself optimistic about our chances of joining the B1G, but your first paragraph is even too much for me. I mean, this is delusional level commentary. We've got some work to do to get that invite.
It's not delusional. It's delusional if you are pessimistic.

I hate repeating myself, but people at the top of the Big 10 are speaking about us.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's not delusional. It's delusional if you are pessimistic.

I hate repeating myself, but people at the top of the Big 10 are speaking about us.
Link, Butch?

Reaction Score
ODU > UMass.

Reaction Score
pj said:
He's no troll ... you guys are too sensitive ... and too pessimistic. He's simply making a point of Bayesian probability. If UConn is in, they'll be silent. If they are not in, they could be anything. They are silent. Ergo, they are more likely than not to be in.

They are quite. Ergo, they are not out.

Reaction Score
Thanks, but there isn't a quote from a decision maker is there? Just took a quick look.
Perhaps he is connected to the decision maker and his mouthpiece? That's at the top.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They are quite. Ergo, they are not out.
UConn in the B1G would be a miracle. Oh my - it would be so much fun. Mardi Gras everyday.

Reaction Score
UConn in the B1G would be a miracle. Oh my - it would be so much fun. Mardi Gras everyday.
Which is why it wouldn't be a miracle. Because they know our fanbase's potential.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Which is why it wouldn't be a miracle. Because they know our fanbase's potential.
So what is Delaney waiting for? Is there a tv contract or NCAA rule change we are waiting on?

CL82

Reaction Score
Perhaps he is connected to the decision maker and his mouthpiece? That's at the top.
Yeah I saw it, but it is definitely just author's opinion. There's no attribution.

Hey I hope that you are right but he absence of activity tells us absolutely nothing. I take more hope from the car wash guy than I do from silence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course all of those things are exactly what a top flight university would be working on anyway regardless of whether the guiding handing of the B1G was there.
Most schools are not actively looking to add multiple sports that will cause the university to lose money in it's current state. So you are incorrect.

CL82

Reaction Score
Most schools are not actively looking to add multiple sports that will cause the university to lose money in it's current state. So you are incorrect.
Fair point, Sportsman. I'm not exactly sewing B1G patches on my UConn gear quite yet, but it is fair point.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
AAU and a partner

So we need a date. There are no obvious candidates unless the B1G wishes to pay up on an ACC/SEC/B12 buyout. And so, we have to wait until the B12 implodes to free up a Kansas or OU or even the mighty Texas. Don't bother posting about the continuous geography rule for the B1G footprint. If OU or Texas is available, I think they make an exception.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Ya'll better fire up LinkedIn!:rolleyes:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...2-conference-expansion-byu-ucf-usf-cincinnati

>>We checked with LinkedIn to find out where the graduates of each Big 12 school and the most frequently mentioned potential candidates (Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, UConn, UCF, USF) actually live.<<
I think it's narrow minded to consider Big 12 alumni in every city in Florida in reference to UCF and USF and not take a look at NYC and Boston as it relates to UConn. Someone please yell this at Mr Brown.

Reaction Score
Ya'll better fire up LinkedIn!:rolleyes:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...2-conference-expansion-byu-ucf-usf-cincinnati

>>We checked with LinkedIn to find out where the graduates of each Big 12 school and the most frequently mentioned potential candidates (Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, UConn, UCF, USF) actually live.<<

What drives me nuts the most about these types of stories is that people look at Hartford and they go, "Oh well there's barely any B1G/Big 12 alumni there so it would be a mistake to invite UConn."

B1G/Big 12 Alumni travel so ridiculously well and to be right smack within 2 hours and change of NYC and Boston that's absolutely a perfect situation. Anyone remember how many Michigan fans showed up at the Rent two years ago? If you think most of them were flying in from the Mitten you are crazy, they all convoyed up from NYC and down from Boston.

UConn would have no problem packing the Rent every Saturday for football and Gampel on most nights for basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom