I wouldn't worry too much about UConn not making much noise in realignment talk | The Boneyard

I wouldn't worry too much about UConn not making much noise in realignment talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about UConn not making much noise in realignment talk. At least, not if your goal is to join the B1G. No team that ever made noise publicly about wanting to join the B1G has ever been invited.

Penn State was added in secrecy and the nation was stunned when it was announced the Nittany Lions would be the 11th member of the B1G.

Missouri publicly praised the magnificence of the B1G for months on end when the B1G announced it was exploring adding a 12th member. The result? Nebraska received an invite.

Maryland and Rutgers, much like Penn State, were added in secrecy.

So history shows us that these decisions are largely made in private. No amount of parading will have any effect on UConn receiving an invitation. I'm sure Delany and the B1G Presidents all have a fully vetted list of the pros and cons of adding UConn if they are even considering future expansion. It might happen and it might not happen, but no amount of public outcry to join the B1G will have any impact on the final decision.

So while UCF, Cincinnati, etc. publicly posture for expansion, I don't think its really necessary to do so. At least not if your end goal is to join the B1G. In fact, it's probably good that the UConn administration is so quiet on realignment. Schools that negotiate to join the B1G sign a confidentiality agreement. So no public talk by UConn admins means that UConn could be negotiating with the B1G. If the UConn admin. was being public in the same manner as the UCF's of the world, that would tell us that UConn is not negotiating to join the B1G because it would go against the confidentiality agreement.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about UConn not making much noise in realignment talk. At least, not if your goal is to join the B1G. No team that ever made noise publicly about wanting to join the B1G has ever been invited.

Penn State was added in secrecy and the nation was stunned when it was announced the Nittany Lions would be the 11th member of the B1G.

Missouri publicly praised the magnificence of the B1G for months on end when the B1G announced it was exploring adding a 12th member. The result? Nebraska received an invite.

So history shows us that these decisions are largely made in private. No amount of parading will have any effect on if UConn receives an invitation. I'm sure Delany and the B1G Presidents all have a fully vetted list of the pros and cons of adding UConn if they are even considering future expansion. It might happen and it might not happen, but no amount of public outcry to join the B1G will have any impact on the final decision.

So while UCF, Cincinnati, etc. publicly posture for expansion, I don't think its really necessary to do so. At least not if your end goal is to join the B1G. In fact, it's probably good that the UConn administration is so quiet on realignment. Schools that negotiate to join the B1G sign a confidentiality agreement. So no public talk by UConn admins means that UConn could be negotiating with the B1G. If the UConn admin. was being public in the same manor as the UCF's of the world, that would tell us that UConn is not negotiating to join the B1G because it would go against the confidentiality agreement.

Well in that case we definitely don't want to join your crummy conference.

Reaction Score

So history shows us that these decisions are largely made in private. No amount of parading will have any effect on UConn receiving an invitation. I'm sure Delany and the B1G Presidents all have a fully vetted list of the pros and cons of adding UConn if they are even considering future expansion. It might happen and it might not happen, but no amount of public outcry to join the B1G will have any impact on the final decision.

So while UCF, Cincinnati, etc. publicly posture for expansion, I don't think its really necessary to do so. At least not if your end goal is to join the B1G. In fact, it's probably good that the UConn administration is so quiet on realignment. Schools that negotiate to join the B1G sign a confidentiality agreement. So no public talk by UConn admins means that UConn could be negotiating with the B1G. If the UConn admin. was being public in the same manor as the UCF's of the world, that would tell us that UConn is not negotiating to join the B1G because it would go against the confidentiality agreement.
Uhh...Rutgers was anything but silent about its desire to join the B1G.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
B1GOSU said:

So while UCF, Cincinnati, etc. publicly posture for expansion, I don't think its really necessary to do so. At least not if your end goal is to join the B1G. In fact, it's probably good that the UConn administration is so quiet on realignment. Schools that negotiate to join the B1G sign a confidentiality agreement. So no public talk by UConn admins means that UConn could be negotiating with the B1G. If the UConn admin. was being public in the same manner as the UCF's of the world, that would tell us that UConn is not negotiating to join the B1G because it would go against the confidentiality agreement.

I move this gets reposted at 20 minutes intervals going forward.

Reaction Score
Uhh...Rutgers was anything but silent about its desire to join the B1G.

I don't recall the Rutgers admin. publicly praising the B1G to join. In fact, I think most of the nation was downright shocked the day they joined, as it seemed to come out of the blue when Rutgers and Maryland were added. Going back a few years to when the B1G announced it was looking for Team #12, Rutgers was on the short list and was discussed in the news media and online, but I don't recall the Rutgers admin. doing anything like Missouri did.

Reaction Score
I don't recall the Rutgers admin. publicly praising the B1G to join. In fact, I think most of the nation was downright shocked the day they joined, as it seemed to come out of the blue when Rutgers and Maryland were added. Going back a few years to when the B1G announced it was looking for Team #12, Rutgers was on the short list and was discussed in the news media and online, but I don't recall the Rutgers admin. doing anything like Missouri did.
Any rumors about Rutgers came from their football program nothing from their administration. It was pretty much discounted on this board as recruiting Hyperpole.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Until the B12 disintegrates because of its severe gravitational imbalance between TX, OU and the rest of its tiny moons, I don't think anything is going to happen on realignment. And a busted up B12 might not get us anything but better p5 rejects to join our purgatory status in the AAC.

I also think the pending chaos of the unbundled cable tv model may make it difficult for all conferences to figure up the marginal gain of any new addition in the decades to come. The mathematics will need to be crystal clear.

Reaction Score
Until the B12 disintegrates because of its severe gravitational imbalance between TX, OU and the rest of its tiny moons, I don't think anything is going to happen on realignment. And a busted up B12 might not get us anything but better p5 rejects to join our purgatory status in the AAC.

I also think the pending chaos of the unbundled cable tv model may make it difficult for all conferences to figure up the marginal gain of any new addition in the decades to come. The mathematics will need to be crystal clear.

Everything you say has merit, but its a pretty negative view point. Everything UConn is doing is enhancing its big 10 profile and UConn is worth more relative to today in a world where people pay for content they actually want to watch. Aka uconns women's basketball is worth more than some of the p5 football programs because there are more people per year in connectcitut and nationally that would pay $100+ per year to watch them.

Reaction Score
Including me though I KNEW there was NO interest in the ACC...even that was quiet.

Reaction Score
Any rumors about Rutgers came from their football program nothing from their administration. It was pretty much discounted on this board as recruiting Hyperpole.
The only info was from recruits saying they might not finish their college career's in the BE.

Reaction Score

Nothing will change as long as theres interest in B1G schools...TV,Internet streams etc...B1G Money.

Reaction Score

I want to believe, i want to believe, i want to believe.

UConn fans have been beat the fahk down on realignment. Thankfully the school continues to try and succeed on the fields and courts and the teams have given us unbelievalble great moments, like the 2014, men's national title win over Kentucky. That one is still pretty sweet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wouldn't worry too much about UConn.......it might happen and it might not happen, but no amount of public outcry to join the B1G will have any impact on the final decision.

From our Visitors Translation Guide:

"Don't worry! You're like a guy bleeding to death on a deserted island....we admire your ability to die quietly!"

I don't know how we could replicate the experience that visiting fans have when they come here to peer down into the pit of despair.

Perhaps if we went to the emergency room and just commented on various injuries people have suffered while simultaneously demonstrating how whole and undamaged we are.

"Aww....they can prolly sew that toe back on! Have faith!"

*wiggles all ten toes*

Reaction Score
From our Visitors Translation Guide:

"Don't worry! You're like a guy bleeding to death on a deserted island....we admire your ability to die quietly!"

I don't know how we could replicate the experience that visiting fans have when they come here to peer down into the pit of despair.

Perhaps if we went to the emergency room and just commented on various injuries people have suffered while simultaneously demonstrating how whole and undamaged we are.

"Aww....they can prolly sew that toe back on! Have faith!"

*wiggles all ten toes*

Yup, he's another... What kind of effed up lives do these trolls lead to be motivated to spend any time under an on-line blog bridge?

Reaction Score
Yup, he's another... What kind of effed up lives do these trolls lead to be motivated to spend any time under an on-line blog bridge?
Maybe so but remember some of these guys are here IMO because they sense something involving UConn may happen whatever their opinions are. They know UConn is seriously in the mix re B1G. I take it as a good sign. I see some of these posters all over the national blogs and find some are pretty well informed or at the least interesting. Beats disinterest IMO.

pj

Reaction Score
He's no troll ... you guys are too sensitive ... and too pessimistic.

He's simply making a point of Bayesian probability. If UConn is in, they'll be silent. If they are not in, they could be anything. They are silent. Ergo, they are more likely than not to be in.

Reaction Score
He's no troll ... you guys are too sensitive ... and too pessimistic.

He's simply making a point of Bayesian probability. If UConn is in, they'll be silent. If they are not in, they could be anything. They are silent. Ergo, they are more likely than not to be in.
More than likely to be in? You're way too optimistic. That's how I felt about the ACC before the snub. That was almost 3 years ago, hence I don't particularly buy the no news is good news slant.

Reaction Score
The fact UConn is not going on Twitter doing campaigns for conference realignment is a GREAT sign. Means we are pretty much guaranteed a spot and don't really have to sell. But we do have to maintain momentum. Hard to believe how far little Storrs will have come.

Our chances of being admitted into the Big 10 are very good. As mentioned 5 million+ times by others, Delany didn't go to Michigan State vs UConn in the 2014 men's Elite Eight just to see Michigan State. If I am correct, he publicly attends usually games that involve Big 10 teams.

You guys don't think our fans and team sent chills down Delany's spine at that game?

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The fact UConn is not going on Twitter doing campaigns for conference realignment is a GREAT sign. Means we are pretty much guaranteed a spot and don't really have to sell. But we do have to maintain momentum. Hard to believe how far little Storrs will have come.

Our chances of being admitted into the B1G are very good. Delany didn't go to Michigan State vs UConn in the Elite Eight just to see Michigan State. If I am correct, he publicly attends usually games that involve Big 10 teams.
I consider myself optimistic about our chances of joining the B1G, but your first paragraph is even too much for me. I mean, this is delusional level commentary. We've got some work to do to get that invite.

Reaction Score
More than likely to be in? You're way too optimistic. That's how I felt about the ACC before the snub. That was almost 3 years ago, hence I don't particularly buy the no news is good news slant.

The silence combined with UConn making many moves that align perfectly with the BIG is what makes it fairly likely to happen. Adding hockey and lacrosse, putting a huge emphasis on increasing research, and increasing student enrollment up to 24,000 in the coming years. I'm sure there are also small things happening behind the scenes that aren't as public.

Reaction Score
I consider myself optimistic about our chances of joining the B1G, but your first paragraph is even too much for me. I mean, this is delusional level commentary. We've got some work to do to get that invite.

Yes, work has to be done; but, publicly politicking for it usually doses not work in college football, especially with the B1G - just ask Missouri, and the corporate world. Remember, while these entities are universities - this is strictly about business and money.

I do a lot of M&A work and while Wall Street may get wind of deals from time to time, companies don't go advertising that a deal is imminent. The only time they go public is if the deal had already been floated and rejected resulting in the bid to go hostile with both sides using to press to sway the target's shareholders, see Anthem and Cigna right now. Deals do not go public in advance because as soon as a deal is known (and sometimes before just based on rumors alone) competitors for both the buyer and seller will smell blood in the water and make runs at their customers and key employees. Happens all of the time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nothing will change as long as theres interest in B1G schools...TV,Internet streams etc...B1G Money.
All I am saying is that changes to the cable tv model are accelerating and it may become more difficult to calculate the marginal gains from adding schools to the pie during this period. I hope I am wrong. But it seems like cable tv is more than ever ready to battle with expensive tv channels and more people than ever are cutting the cord.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The silence combined with UConn making many moves that align perfectly with the BIG is what makes it fairly likely to happen. Adding hockey and lacrosse, putting a huge emphasis on increasing research, and increasing student enrollment up to 24,000 in the coming years. I'm sure there are also small things happening behind the scenes that aren't as public.
So I don't hear Stoneybrook campaigning. They are upgrading academics, particularly STEM, and are already AAU, so are they #14 to the B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom