I wish Omar had redshirted. | The Boneyard

I wish Omar had redshirted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What bothers me about the Omar Situation is that it was clear from early in the season he was not 100%. I know it's easy to say in retrospect that we didn't need him on the court, but I think he could have benefitted from a red shirt. Obviously he wasn't on his game all season and I just hope he didn't push himself too hard this year.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he was averaging double digits PPG around the time he would have had to be completely pulled and redshirted. That would have been bizarre.

Reaction Score
Water under the bridge. He needs to find his shot. Doesn't matter how it happens, it just needs to happen

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
What bothers me about the Omar Situation is that it was clear from early in the season he was not 100%.

You could not be MORE wrong about Omar. All of these games happened in November, early in the season:

-Omar lead our team in scoring with 16 against Concordia (granted, they were awful).
He shot 6-10 from the field including 4-7 from 3.
-Omar lead our team in scoring with 18 against Yale.
He shot 5-8 from the field, 3-5 from 3.
-Omar lead our team in scoring with 17 against Detroit (again, awful team).
He shot 5-9 including 3-6 from 3.
-Omar was also 4-9 from the field for 10 pts vs MD.

You mean to tell me you would have pulled him aside after these games and said 'Omar, we need to redshirt you, you're clearly not 100%' ???

He didn't start to slump until the end of November. Injuries plagued him throughout the year and I think that is what hurt him more so than his hip surgeries. He's capable of big games and I have no doubt that Omar will turn it around in a big way next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What bothers me about the Omar Situation is that it was clear from early in the season he was not 100%. I know it's easy to say in retrospect that we didn't need him on the court, but I think he could have benefitted from a red shirt. Obviously he wasn't on his game all season and I just hope he didn't push himself too hard this year.
You're right. It's easy to say in retrospect.

Reaction Score
You could not be MORE wrong about Omar. All of these games happened in November, early in the season:

-Omar lead our team in scoring with 16 against Concordia (granted, they were awful).

You mean to tell me you would have pulled him aside after these games and said 'Omar, we need to redshirt you, you're clearly not 100%' ???

He didn't start to slump until the end of November. Injuries plagued him throughout the year and I think that is what hurt him more so than his hip surgeries. He's capable of big games and I have no doubt that Omar will turn it around in a big way next year.

Discussion over due to facts.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You have a valid point (to wit, that it was difficult to say early in the season just how hampered he was), but at the same time, pointing to those numbers is ridiculous because you know darn well that he never looked right. So he hit some wide open 3's against some cupcakes, big deal. He was stiff all season. He couldn't even dunk.

Reaction Score
Can anyone clarify how this would have worked if it was implemented? My understanding is he would have had to stop playing... and then applied for a medical redshirt at the end of the season. If he hadn't played in more than 30% of the games, he would be eligible. But they're not guaranteed to give him the medical redshirt just on that basis, right?

Honestly, I really can't see how anyone can justify this with anything other than hindsight.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You have a valid point (to wit, that it was difficult to say early in the season just how hampered he was), but at the same time, pointing to those numbers is ridiculous because you know darn well that he never looked right. So he hit some wide open 3's against some cupcakes, big deal. He was stiff all season. He couldn't even dunk.

The reality though, is that most people expected him to "find his feet" and improve over the course of the season. Before 30% of the games played, it was still relatively up in the air. After the fact, we can say, oh he didn't ever find it so he should have redshirted. Or we didn't need him anyway. But those two things were far from certain at the time.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The reality though, is that most people expected him to "find his feet" and improve over the course of the season. Before 30% of the games played, it was still relatively up in the air. After the fact, we can say, oh he didn't ever find it so he should have redshirted. Or we didn't need him anyway. But those two things were far from certain at the time.

Yeah - I agree - it's hindsight to say he should have redshirted. I was expecting him to improve over the course of the season.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Yeah - I agree - it's hindsight to say he should have redshirted. I was expecting him to improve over the course of the season.

He never looked right because he kept getting hurt throughout the season. That's why he was never able to improve.

In the most recent interview with Omar's father (another thread), Omar's dad attributed his inability to take off and dunk Shabazz's alley-oop directly to Omar's ankle injuries... not his hips. Omar himself said his hip was healed. The hip injury was detrimental mostly due to the fact that he had no off-season to prepare and improve his game and stay in shape. He still started out shooting hot and then cooled. Then he had other health issues pop-up and hamper him throughout the year. His hips were not the issue. The constant injuries kept him from getting any type of rhythm, which is big for a shooter like Omar.

More than 1/2 his shots towards the end of the year were in-and-out. Bad luck, turn the page. He's getting healthy, he's tough, and he's a good kid who bleeds blue. He'll be huge for us next year. Book it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yes in hindsight, nothing runs perfect in a season even in a national championship season.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He never looked right because he kept getting hurt throughout the season. That's why he was never able to improve.

In the most recent interview with Omar's father (another thread), Omar's dad attributed his inability to take off and dunk Shabazz's alley-oop directly to Omar's ankle injuries... not his hips. Omar himself said his hip was healed. The hip injury was detrimental mostly due to the fact that he had no off-season to prepare and improve his game and stay in shape. He still started out shooting hot and then cooled. Then he had other health issues pop-up and hamper him throughout the year. His hips were not the issue. The constant injuries kept him from getting any type of rhythm, which is big for a shooter like Omar.

More than 1/2 his shots towards the end of the year were in-and-out. Bad luck, turn the page. He's getting healthy, he's tough, and he's a good kid who bleeds blue. He'll be huge for us next year. Book it.

I don't know if I buy everything you're selling, but believe me when I say I hope you're 100% right!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom