I will be rooting hard for boat right to get the first rd pick he deserves | The Boneyard

I will be rooting hard for boat right to get the first rd pick he deserves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off if boat was 2 inches taller he'd be a lottery pick. That being said I really hope he gets rewarded for his improvement and success over 4years by being picked in rd 1 next June

Reaction Score
First off if boat was 2 inches taller he'd be a lottery pick. That being said I really hope he gets rewarded for his improvement and success over 4years by being picked in rd 1 next June

I was just thinking, if Boat was Jerome Dyson's height, he'd be gone already. (Ducks the JD bashers)

Reaction Score
Any GM picks him in 1st round will be fired. Don't make decisions w your heart. He's too small to get drafted.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know. If he continues to put in 19 ppg, runs a team of young kids efficiently and plays lockdown defense he might just get a look. No doubt he's undersized but I can seeing him coming off the bench somewhere. We'll see after he embarrasses the Harrisons again.

Reaction Score
I don't think a first round pick is out of the question, but, more so than Bazz, his draft placement will be tied to a run in the tourney. He'd need to be really exceptional though. If he matches Bazz's stats from last year (give or take - maybe one or two less points, a smudge less on the glass, but better in steals) - how would that place him? I'd say right on the brink of 1st / 2nd round cusp.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm really pulling for him too. He deserves it and Mama Boat has earned a big fat paycheck as well.

Reaction Score
I would be the first to tell you no shot. Then I began watching him the 1st 3 games of this season!

Time will tell, but for now he's giving him self a chance for sure. He's come so far in so many ways it's really fun to have watched the evolution for sure.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that, one way or another, he ends up with Golden State. We need a lockdown defender at point, and we need a guy who can dribble penetrate then find shooters.

He'd be ideal for our second unit, and he'd have time to grow on the best passing team in the league.

Reaction Score
Nate Robinson who is 5-7 was a 21 pick.
Boatright is not only short but skinny as well. NBA is about picking out the mismatches and Boat would put in the post every time. I give him credit bc he has worked on his game and it really shows but he's too short. Nate is freak athlete that was all Pac 10 football player than can hold his own D.

Reaction Score
At Boat's size its damn near impossible to go 1st round, Nate Robinson did it but he's just on another level athletically than alot of other small guards, and we know Boat is no slouch in that dept himself. Pierre Jackson and Isaiah Thomas are 2 guards that had similar builds, games, and athletic profiles as Boat and even after their great statistical last years(Thomas was a JR) they both went 2nd round, with Thomas being the last pick. However it plays out we know Boat will be on a summer league roster next year with the opportunity to play his way into a contract and hopefully make a team, and with the way he's improved over the past year he's put himself in a better position to do just that. Hell, Phil Pressey had a subpar junior season and he still found a way to make the Celtics after going undrafted, I know he's got great vision but if he can make a roster I think Boat can do the same.

Reaction Score
I think a problem Boat has for the next level is that he's a two-footed jumper. By doing that you allow the defender to catch up with you versus getting your bounce off one foot.

Reaction Score
I think a problem Boat has for the next level is that he's a two-footed jumper. By doing that you allow the defender to catch up with you versus getting your bounce off one foot.
I think boat can score on anyone. His offensive game is ridiculous. The concerns will be more on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Boat has had quite a few one foot finishes around the rim this season so far, I don't really recall him trying that Eurostep finish that he got the And 1 on yesterday at all the past 3 years. The 2feet finishes were definitely a bugaboo as he allowed defenders to close in on him but he's showing alot more guile and craftiness around the basket this year. Regardless of all of that though if Boat makes it to the next level he's likely a role player, it will be about picking and choosing your spots when to score. More pull up and spot up jumpers, less attacking the rim unless you got a wide open lane.

Reaction Score
The eurostep was a nice surprise. If he were to make it to NBA , his jumper and range must get better...but I do like the progressives showing from last year to this year.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I love Boatright. He embodies very thing you love to see from a college player. He's energetic, tenacious, and has a ton of heart. His hustle on the defensive end is something you rarely ever see. One of my favorite players to watch personally.

That being said, unless his range significantly improves, he's nota first round pick despite his dominance. He doesn't have the ideal height, or the range to combat the lack of height. He could be a great defensive player vs. point guards, but he isn't that versatile (no fault of his own). He might be a good bench player one day, but he could just as easily end up overseas like our boy Amin. Nothing is wrong with that, and I think what's most commendable is that Boatright is doing the absolute best he can with what he was given.

Just an honest opinion about a guy I feel indebted to.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking, if Boat was Jerome Dyson's height, he'd be gone already. (Ducks the JD bashers)
Seriously though, if you took Boat's athleticism and skill set and put it a 6/4 body, which is every bit of a 1/2 foot taller than what Boat is today, he'd be a hall of fame NBA player, and it wouldn't be close.

Reaction Score
I love Boatright. He embodies very thing you love to see from a college player. He's energetic, tenacious, and has a ton of heart. His hustle on the defensive end is something you rarely ever see. One of my favorite players to watch personally.

That being said, unless his range significantly improves, he's nota first round pick despite his dominance. He doesn't have the ideal height, or the range to combat the lack of height. He could be a great defensive player vs. point guards, but he isn't that versatile (no fault of his own). He might be a good bench player one day, but he could just as easily end up overseas like our boy Amin. Nothing is wrong with that, and I think what's most commendable is that Boatright is doing the absolute best he can with what he was given.

Just an honest opinion about a guy I feel indebted to.
Ditto .....comment is right on

Reaction Score
I think a problem Boat has for the next level is that he's a two-footed jumper.
I think you're confusing "prefers to jump off 2 feet," with "can't jump off one foot." On the contrary, he goes off of 1 when it's appropriate to do so, which is no that often based on his game. Further, like most great athletes, he can get higher, quicker off of two feet, and so he prefers it.
Dom. Wilkins used to jump off of 2 feet 99% of the time, but that doesn't mean he couldn't go off of one foot.

Being a 2 foot jumper is a net plus.

Being a 1-foot only jumper, however, is basketball death.

Reaction Score
Boatright draft status will be connected to a team that can use his pg skills. San Antonio comes to mind, knicks, etc. 'Unfortunately' I see him and Bazz having similar draft experiences (i.e. late 1st round). The good news is that my man Nate Robinson is still around, so small guys do play in the NBA.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I wouldn't count on it, but if he plays this well all year, and continues the D and intangibles from last year, AND the draft class isn't incredibly deep, he could def sneak in the late 1st I think. When you look at guys like Isaiah Thomas, Nate Robinson, and other smaller, athletic scoring guards, there is a place for these guys on rosters, generally leading the second unit or providing scoring sparks. He's shown a maturity I didn't expect when he was a soph, and he's obviously athletic enough to play a role in the league. Him being a lottery pick or even mid 1st is asking way too much though, realistically.

Reaction Score
I think you're confusing "prefers to jump off 2 feet," with "can't jump off one foot." On the contrary, he goes off of 1 when it's appropriate to do so, which is no that often based on his game. Further, like most great athletes, he can get higher, quicker off of two feet, and so he prefers it.
Dom. Wilkins used to jump off of 2 feet 99% of the time, but that doesn't mean he couldn't go off of one foot.

Being a 2 foot jumper is a net plus.

Being a 1-foot only jumper, however, is basketball death.
I respectfully disagree. Whoever who has played bball would tell you jumping off one foot finishing in traffic is an advantage especially for someone 5'10"...NBA everyone at his position is athletic but taller. Boat has tough time finishing over bigger guys. He will have a productive career overseas.

Reaction Score
As somebody who has watched dozens of Bobcats/Hornets games during Kemba's career, it's just hard to understand how debilitating NBA length and athleticism is to an undersized point guard until you see it. Kemba has everything you'd want from a scoring point guard; great footwork, a lot of change-the-pace moves, a great handle, etc. He's also - while not quite on Boat's level - an excellent athlete. Yet his career shooting percentage is below 40% and he's consistently among the worst in the league at finishing around the rim. Point being, he's basically Ryan Boatright on steroids, and he's a third-tier NBA point guard whose destiny is probably a sixth man on a good team. If you want to make it in the NBA as a sub-six foot point guard, you need to either be an elite shooter or an elite passer. Even though Boatright seems to be getting better as a shooter, I don't think you'll ever be able to characterize him that way as a shooter, particularly when accounting for the deeper three point line.

If Kevin Ollie can play twelve years in the league, there's probably a place for Boatright as well. But at his height, it's going to entail working harder than just about anybody else. I'll obviously be rooting for him as hard as anybody.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
NBADraft.net has Boat going at 48 and Draft Express has him going undrafted at the moment. I think he'll do better than either site predicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom