I was *REALLY* impressed with UConn last night | The Boneyard

I was *REALLY* impressed with UConn last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It always seems stressful when Murphy starts enforcing his law in a given game. In this case, UConn is playing a good team, queens of the Pac-12 at that. What's more, Oregon State is a bit quirky and a matchup problem that beat another #1 seed to make it to the Final Four. UConn is potentially down two starters, including a terrific young player in KLS (to injury), as well as the best player in the country in Stewie (to foul trouble). This is all very worrisome stuff here.

However, the Huskies flat-out dominated this game, leading virtually pillar to post. They won every quarter by a healthy margin. it was a team effort. Moriah set an individual UConn record, but he got seven assists last night rather than the needed two. Tuck may have looked like a gunner, but she was clearly leading her team and providing sorely-needed offense. Stewie was eventually magnificent herself in the second half. Gabby and KLS did their respective things, too. Kia was guilty of the same.

This may be women's basketball, but UConn put on as workmanlike a show as I've ever seen in a national semifinals game. Certainly, UConn beat Maryland handily in last year's semis, but this year featured all the more frenetic pace and an even wider MOV. This was a game UConn should have won, and Geno coached his team to do just that...handily.

Now, we've got a pretty good NC game opponent, one who did well to beat South Carolina and Tennessee along the way. However, I recall a Louisville team who beat #1 seeds Maryland and Oklahoma in 2009 en route to the finals, not to mention Baylor and Tennessee in 2013, only to get throttled by UConn. Is Syracuse like those Louisville teams? I think so...and I'm optimistic UConn will be exceptionally workmanlike again.

Reaction Score
Is Morgan Tuck the most underrated All American in WBB history? She has scored 84 points in the last four NCAA tournament games. Those include against #6 Oregon State, #7 Texas, #15 Mississippi State, and a Duquesne team ranked #18 in RPI. How in the world did Tuck have to wait until the final weekend of the WCBB season to be named a first-team All American?

Unbelievable!

Reaction Score
Is Morgan Tuck the most underrated All American in WBB history? She has scored 84 points in the last four NCAA tournament games. Those include against #6 Oregon State, #7 Texas, #15 Mississippi State, and a Duquesne team ranked #18 in RPI. How in the world did Tuck have to wait until the final weekend of the WCBB season to be named a first-team All American?

Unbelievable!

Simple reason is she is on the same team as MoJeff and Stewie. AA Voters do not want to vote for players on the same team. Not fair but it's life.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
@HardHatGuy#2
@alexrgct

Reply to Alex for excellent analysis above and props to HardHatGuy for striking the same theme earlier in a memorable pre-game post reminding us that this was a business trip for our UConn Huskies.

I can only add Oh Baby! Did they ever take care of business! (on Sunday - one to go!):)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Unbelievable!
Not really unbelievable. 1) Tournament play does not figure into post season awards 2) Morgan was a question mark last year coming back off surgery she did not have the pre season publicity going into the season. Many of the voters pick a pre-season AA team and they don't like to go away from their predictions. All of this is wrong of course. Morgan Tuck should have been named an AA after the game @ ND on December 6th, 2014

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It always seems stressful when Murphy starts enforcing his law in a given game. In this case, UConn is playing a good team, queens of the Pac-12 at that. What's more, Oregon State is a bit quirky and a matchup problem that beat another #1 seed to make it to the Final Four. UConn is potentially down two starters, including a terrific young player in KLS (to injury), as well as the best player in the country in Stewie (to foul trouble). This is all very worrisome stuff here.

However, the Huskies flat-out dominated this game, leading virtually pillar to post. They won every quarter by a healthy margin. it was a team effort. Moriah set an individual UConn record, but he got seven assists last night rather than the needed two. Tuck may have looked like a gunner, but she was clearly leading her team and providing sorely-needed offense. Stewie was eventually magnificent herself in the second half. Gabby and KLS did their respective things, too. Kia was guilty of the same.

This may be women's basketball, but UConn put on as workmanlike a show as I've ever seen in a national semifinals game. Certainly, UConn beat Maryland handily in last year's semis, but this year featured all the more frenetic pace and an even wider MOV. This was a game UConn should have won, and Geno coached his team to do just that...handily.

Now, we've got a pretty good NC game opponent, one who did well to beat South Carolina and Tennessee along the way. However, I recall a Louisville team who beat #1 seeds Maryland and Oklahoma in 2009 en route to the finals, not to mention Baylor and Tennessee in 2013, only to get throttled by UConn. Is Syracuse like those Louisville teams? I think so...and I'm optimistic UConn will be exceptionally workmanlike again.
It felt more like a usual Big Monday game rather than a National Semifinal, as we quickly created separation. It was a fine demonstration of UConn team basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom