I love KO but... | The Boneyard

I love KO but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sure there are some who would disagree, but I feel that JC left at about the right time. I think the scandals, issues, penalties, etc. (as well as his health) that plagued the team over the last 3+ years of his reign had him tired out. As a result, I don't think he was as effective in every facet the rigors of coaching required. I can't say I don't miss him as that would sound negative and I don't mean it to at all. But I love infusion of energy, youth, attitude and attention to rules and details that Ollie has brought.

And the reason I can't really miss JC is because he's still very involved in the program which is awesome. We see him in the stands for games and he's usually available for a quote or sound bite. KO can take the best from JC that he has to offer, and then add his own personal spin to it, which so far is working out great.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I wonder how many people will click on this thread ready to deliver a message board beat down only to slink away somewhat disappointed it was actually a pro JC post.

C

Chief00

One thing about Calhoun is he took ownership, never the long list of excuses that we see with Warde, Susan and Coach P. He may have been the highest paid state employee but he never could be accused as business as usual, accepting less than the best from everyone.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm sure there are some who would disagree, but I feel that JC left at about the right time. I think the scandals, issues, penalties, etc. (as well as his health) that plagued the team over the last 3+ years of his reign had him tired out. As a result, I don't think he was as effective in every facet the rigors of coaching required. I can't say I don't miss him as that would sound negative and I don't mean it to at all. But I love infusion of energy, youth, attitude and attention to rules and details that Ollie has brought.

Whelp, if an ineffective JC delivers National Championships like 2011, sign me up for that 100+ years deal too.

Reaction Score
JC had a weird stretch of years following the 2009 FF, which had an expected, "taking care of business" sort of feel to it in the way our runs of success with veteran teams loaded with NBA prospects usually did.

The 3-year period that followed was downright bizarre and a radical departure from the regular nature of our cycles of success and reloading that had existed for the previous 15-20 years. It included two of his worst coaching jobs, one with a leaderless veteran team, one with a leaderless young team, sandwiched around one of his best coaching jobs in getting a very young team led by a transcendent player to lock down on defense and play with the toughness required to win elimination games. My only quibble with his handling of the 2011 team is on the X's and O's side: they still never successfully ran a half-court offense, a problem which was often masked and overcome by Kemba being Kemba, and which plagued the 2010 and 2012 teams in absence of Kemba's superhuman performances.

It's not fair to say JC didn't care about academics, but he clearly didn't care about trying to maintain a respectable APR, with the constant stream of transfers costing us points. That negligence opened the door for Emmert's vendetta against us to play out the way it has over the past year, and JC does deserve some of the blame for that -- the ban, the negative press, and the recruiting hit in 2012 and 2013.

Looking back, he might have been better served retiring on top in 2011 or riding out the next two years for another go at it in 2014 (this upcoming year), but from this point I don't think we can complain too much about how things are looking, going forward. Let's hope the good vibes KO has injected into this program in terms of toughness, heart, and camaraderie, which have already paid some dividends on the recruiting trail, translate into on-court success in a season where expectations are higher and games are more meaningful.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's not fair to say JC didn't care about academics, but he clearly didn't care about trying to maintain a respectable APR, with the constant stream of transfers costing us points. That negligence opened the door for Emmert's vendetta against us to play out the way it has over the past year, and JC does deserve some of the blame for that -- the ban, the negative press, and the recruiting hit in 2012 and 2013.

Looking back, he might have been better served retiring on top in 2011 or riding out the next two years for another go at it in 2014 (this upcoming year), but from this point I don't think we can complain too much about how things are looking, going forward. Let's hope the good vibes KO has injected into this program in terms of toughness, heart, and camaraderie, which have already paid some dividends on the recruiting trail, translate into on-court success in a season where expectations are higher and games are more meaningful.

Totally agreed on the first point.

One the second, I disagree. JC stuck with the program through some crap times, which he should get respect for, instead of bowing out on top for legacy purposes; showed he cared about the program more than himself. He then handed it to Ollie with a 'can't lose' type of year. No matter how UConn did last year, Ollie would kind of gotten a pass. The added bonus in this smooth style transition, was that we didn't have more of the 'will JC be here by the time I leave UConn' stuff coming from recruits. Surreptitiously removed that albatross.

Reaction Score
JC stuck with the program through some crap times, which he should get respect for, instead of bowing out on top for legacy purposes; showed he cared about the program more than himself. He then handed it to Ollie with a 'can't lose' type of year. No matter how UConn did last year, Ollie would kind of gotten a pass. The added bonus in this smooth style transition, was that we didn't have more of the 'will JC be here by the time I leave UConn' stuff coming from recruits. Surreptitiously removed that albatross.

Well, I would argue that the timing of his retirement -- September, rather than April -- was done for egoistical purposes: he wanted to guarantee "his guy" would be the next coach. I don't think that showed he particularly cared about the program in absence of himself.

I agree that it worked out well for Ollie to get a trial run in a season where the W/L results didn't matter as much. And I'm also relieved to be in a better position vis a vis recruiting than we have been in several years.

I just think JC's exit could have been conducted in a more planned and less manipulative way.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, I would argue that the timing of his retirement -- September, rather than April -- was done for egoistical purposes: he wanted to guarantee "his guy" would be the next coach. I don't think that showed he particularly cared about the program in absence of himself.

Calhoun has said that that is what Dean Smith told him to do. If it's good enough for Dean, it's good enough for me.

I don't think that's egotistical either. I would argue that that particular move was JC doing what he felt was best for the program. He wanted to pick the next successor, as he felt that was best for UConn. Who knows better than JC what UConn needed in a coach? Do you think Warde Manual would have done a better job (ahem...Paul Pasqualoni)? I imagine JC didn't think so. Right move, right time.

Reaction Score
JC is a legend. I dont know how any UConn fan could say a bad thing about him. I was always behind KO getting the job when Calhoun retired. Its strange not seeing Calhoun on the sidelines but its a positive that hes still part the program.

Reaction Score
Damn, I remember that like it was yesterday. My mom took my brother and me out of school early to get to the pep rally. The coop was PACKED afterwards, they had to open all the emergency exits to let people out. It was literally should-to-shoulder. Took almost two hours to get out of the parking garage. I even got my picture in the Hartford Courant (well the back of my head anyway lol).

Reaction Score

I agree that it worked out well for Ollie to get a trial run in a season where the W/L results didn't matter as much. And I'm also relieved to be in a better position vis a vis recruiting than we have been in several years.

I just think JC's exit could have been conducted in a more planned and less manipulative way.

Guess he knew what was best for the program didn't he with his "egotistical" timing? I'm happy he did just that and I'm good with anything he did after what he made UConn basketball...............not sure how anyone could be any other way considering we were a Yankee Conference transplant to cellar dwellers in the Big East prior to his taking the reigns??!?!?!?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

I don't think JC cared about the APR until he had to and was quick to show his displeasure with the Senior crew led by Edwards and company and with Sellers" recruits (one who could never get eligible anywhere), and with the stoner Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. There were other crews that fell apart--the Kirk King mess, the Wrenn Robertson era, and laptopgate Wiggins.

It was time. Finishing out the last year of BE play would have been nice. Not finishing it worked well too. With Blaney's retirement and American branding and end of the scholarship reductions and post season ban its the complete changing of the guard and end to an era. It was a good run.

Reaction Score
I don't think JC cared about the APR until he had to and was quick to show his displeasure with the Senior crew led by Edwards and company and with Sellers" recruits (one who could never get eligible anywhere), and with the stoner Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. There were other crews that fell apart--the Kirk King mess, the Wrenn Robertson era, and laptopgate Wiggins.

It was time. Finishing out the last year of BE play would have been nice. Not finishing it worked well too. With Blaney's retirement and American branding and end of the scholarship reductions and post season ban its the complete changing of the guard and end to an era. It was a good run.

"Kirk King mess"?? You think JC knew about the airplane tix........

It amazes me we can discuss JC and throw out negative times in his era to prove one's point......and to end it as a "good run".....wow, just wow!!! It was a little bit better than "good"! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Somehow we need to create an annual JC game or even a Jim Calhoun tourney. We can never let his history disappear or allow his legacy to dissipate!

Reaction Score
JC had a weird stretch of years following the 2009 FF, which had an expected, "taking care of business" sort of feel to it in the way our runs of success with veteran teams loaded with NBA prospects usually did.

The 3-year period that followed was downright bizarre and a radical departure from the regular nature of our cycles of success and reloading that had existed for the previous 15-20 years. It included two of his worst coaching jobs, one with a leaderless veteran team, one with a leaderless young team, sandwiched around one of his best coaching jobs in getting a very young team led by a transcendent player to lock down on defense and play with the toughness required to win elimination games. My only quibble with his handling of the 2011 team is on the X's and O's side: they still never successfully ran a half-court offense, a problem which was often masked and overcome by Kemba being Kemba, and which plagued the 2010 and 2012 teams in absence of Kemba's superhuman performances.

I disagree regarding the half-court offense in 2011; you can only get so innovative offensively when three freshman are starting and you have one player at your disposal (Kemba) who can consistently create his own shot. Roscoe and Oriakhi, two of the cornerstones on that 2011 team, were limited as half-court basketball players - they could rebound, defend, and finish at the rim, but in terms of their offensive involvement, they were used primarily as screeners which is how they should have been used. When you consider Lamb and Walker were the only players who could shoot (remember, Napier shot 37% from the field and 33% from three that season), critiquing Calhoun for his half-court sets that year reeks of hindsight. If you re-watch those postseason games from 2011, you'll notice a lot of off-ball movement, subtle screening to free shooters (primarily Kemba and Lamb), and nifty basket cuts from Smith when defenses overplayed Walker and Lamb.

As for 2012, there's no question in my mind that was far and away the worst coaching job of JC's career. The narrative on the 2010 team is that they were colossal under-achievers that played hard when they wanted to, but the reality is no team in the Calhoun era endured worse luck - "regression to the mean" comes to mind with that bunch. They were due for about five straight one point wins - unfortunately for the seniors on that crew, the trend didn't reverse itself until the following year. 2012, though, they were the colossal under-achievers that played hard when they wanted too - they didn't even endure the luck the 2010 squad did, they were just continually outplayed and outworked by teams with significantly less talent. I don't know if you pin the failures of the 2012 team on the inevitable championship hangover, egos, or poor coaching, but there was no excuse for that team to win less than 25 games.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As for 2012, there's no question in my mind that was far and away the worst coaching job of JC's career. The narrative on the 2010 team is that they were colossal under-achievers that played hard when they wanted to, but the reality is no team in the Calhoun era endured worse luck - "regression to the mean" comes to mind with that bunch. They were due for about five straight one point wins - unfortunately for the seniors on that crew, the trend didn't reverse itself until the following year. 2012, though, they were the colossal under-achievers that played hard when they wanted too - they didn't even endure the luck the 2010 squad did, they were just continually outplayed and outworked by teams with significantly less talent. I don't know if you pin the failures of the 2012 team on the inevitable championship hangover, egos, or poor coaching, but there was no excuse for that team to win less than 25 games.

Calhoun had a magical ability to instill his will onto his teams. Unfortunately, and realistically with regards to 2012, you can't turn a pack mule into a thoroughbred.

Reaction Score
Calhoun had a magical ability to instill his will onto his teams. Unfortunately, and realistically with regards to 2012, you can't turn a pack mule into a thoroughbred.

Especially mules that turn on their pack.......!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom