I like what I see from this team. They are growing... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I like what I see from this team. They are growing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are older than Duke. We are not a young team by college hoops standards.

And you have a low standard for very good.
I'm going to assume you're a bit of a front-runner fan. Apologies if that's not the case.

We've dealt with rebuilding years before in the not-so-distant past, and usually they're train wrecks. We've stuck with 2 top-10 teams in this young season, and yes, this is a young team. Hamilton will be a stud, but he's raw talent right now. Brimah is potentially the best center we've had since Okafor (relax, everyone. I'm not comparing him to Okafor I'm saying he might be the best we've had since Okafor). Purvis needs to learn that he's not a shooter and get to the rim and draw fouls, but he's clearly very good as well. Facey is surpassing everyone's expectations.

We might not make the tournament this year, but then again, the AAC tourney is in Hartford. The way I see it we control our own destiny.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We were 1 player away tonight.

If Purvis, who was awful tonight, or anyone outside of Boat, Dham, and Facey stepped up we could of won this game.

Going into this year Purvis was suppose to be that guy, he needs to be for this team to be legit.
Yeah Michael Jordan

Reaction Score

"Is this the worst talent we have ever had in the last 25 years?"

Could be. This question was also answered in the affirmative when it was asked last January,

I never questioned a team with shabazz Napier and the shooters we had last year. I just don't see that talent this year. I hope I'm wrong but I see us struggling most of the year.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
We have a winner, no one else need apply, idiot of the night has been awarded!

I'm not so sure, Jerry...ASweet's on a pretty good roll...give him/her a little time and we could have a real competition for that honor.

Reaction Score
I think the talent comment is fairly accurate. We don't have a pure shooter. Dham and Boat are streaky shooters. After that... Really, only Boat can handle the ball. DHam is a TO machine, Purvis is shaky, Cassell and TSam pure scary with the ball. Our best offense is either Boat going one on one, DHam off a curl, or hoping that after a miss, Facey gets a garbage bucket. We have zero post presence. Brimah scored 4o points off lobs and free throws. He is not someone to give the ball in the post.

We are going to battle defensively b/c we are UConn. So we will never be blown out b/c we will make every game ugly as hell. But to say that we are overly talented is a stretch. I don't care that Purvis was a "5 star" recruit. He has shown very little thus far in our offense. It could be that he needs to be in a transition game or that he needs a "pure" PG to set him up but thus far him as the 2G has not been a success. This is as limited a team, offensively, that we have had in years. Our record reflects that. You can point to our one point losses all you want. Fact is in those losses we have barely scored 50 points with many good looks. That is an issue.

Reaction Score
I'm going to assume you're a bit of a front-runner fan. Apologies if that's not the case.

We've dealt with rebuilding years before in the not-so-distant past, and usually they're train wrecks. We've stuck with 2 top-10 teams in this young season, and yes, this is a young team. Hamilton will be a stud, but he's raw talent right now. Brimah is potentially the best center we've had since Okafor (relax, everyone. I'm not comparing him to Okafor I'm saying he might be the best we've had since Okafor). Purvis needs to learn that he's not a shooter and get to the rim and draw fouls, but he's clearly very good as well. Facey is surpassing everyone's expectations.

We might not make the tournament this year, but then again, the AAC tourney is in Hartford. The way I see it we control our own destiny.

We've had garbage seasons in the past when we beat great teams. And this team isn't built on freshmen like some of those were.

Reaction Score
We've had garbage seasons in the past when we beat great teams. And this team isn't built on freshmen like some of those were.

It's built on a lot of players who have only 6-8 games at UConn under their belt.

Yes, Boatright is a holdover but...

Facey, Purvis, Hamilton, Brimah, Samuel and Cassell are clearly on the early side of their UConn careers AND they are still feeling each other out.

Reaction Score
We gave great effort tonight it is just sad to see how limited we are offensively right now without outside shooting. I hope someone can step up but I don't see it right now.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure what your point is.

If you didn't expect a rough start to this season I don't know what to tell you. There was an outside chance that Purvis or Cassell or Hamilton would immediately step up and be Robin to Boatright's Batman, but by no means was that a given. And Boat, though I fully expect him to be in the Huskies of Honor sometime soon, isn't Kemba or Shabazz. He just isn't.

Winning this game was always going to be a long shot. Did we play great? No. And yet still, that was one of the teams that is supposedly head and shoulders above everyone else, and we gave them a game.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Have we? Garbage seasons I think 1997 and 2007. In '07 we beat Syracuse, who was good but not great, and that's it. In '97 we beat a good BC team twice.
If you're talking 2010, yes, they beat a few top teams. Was a frustrating year, not quite garbage.

Reaction Score
UCONN will find a way into the sweet sixteen with this team full of grinders... We just need them to be smarter with the ticky tack fouls

Unless UConn rolls the pathetic AAC, there will be no tournament, let alone the Sweet 16.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
amory said:
And Boat, though I fully expect him to be in the Huskies of Honor sometime soon, isn't Kemba or Shabazz. .

I don't know he did a pretty good Bazz/Kemba impression tonight and has all season with a lot less help than those two had.

Boats fully won me over. He's the real deal. He deserves better this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I won't all the posts beyond the original but right now the players I enjoy watching are Boat, Facey and Hamilton for all the reasons stated.

Facey's bounce is fantastic. He catches in traffic, holds the ball high and finishes around the rim.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know he did a pretty good Bazz/Kemba impression tonight and has all season with a lot less help than those two had.

No question. Give him even an average sidekick and then let's make the comparison.

Reaction Score

He's an amazing player. I just don't see him as a transcendent player the way Bazz and Kemba were. But like you said, he probably doesn't have the guys around him to prove otherwise. He's in a tough spot.

Right now the most frustrating thing about Boatright is he's missing free throws. He's cost us 2 games missing clutch free throws. Kemba and Bazz made those shots.

Reaction Score
Upstater makes all valid points but this is the simplest solution. Find a shooter and everything becomes easier.
Find 2 or 3 and we'll have a chance. We have 1-1.5 now. I've never seen such poor shooting from so many players.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I'm encouraged by tonight. If Hamilton matures and becomes a more consistent scorer and we don't shoot 20 less free throws than our opponents and Brimah doesn't get in immediate foul trouble this can be a very good team. Omar or purvis becoming a third scorer makes us really good. We just need to beat fla or Stanford and have a good run in the AAC and we will be a threat in March.

Reaction Score
Right now the most frustrating thing about Boatright is he's missing free throws. He's cost us 2 games missing clutch free throws. Kemba and Bazz made those shots.

I don't get this sentiment. Kemba and Shabazz both had to carry teams on their back, but neither one to the extent that Boat is this year. Kemba had Shabazz, Lamb, Niels. Shabazz had Boat, DeAndre, Niels. Boat has . . . . Hamilton? I have a really hard time putting any loss on a missed free throw by Boatright given that he's basically what's keeping this team from getting rolled every night.

Reaction Score
Unless UConn rolls the pathetic AAC, there will be no tournament, let alone the Sweet 16.
I don't think it is that bad. The top 2 teams will have a good chance of going dancing, especially if the second team happens to be the defending national champ Huskies. However, the AAC is putrid, and it is essential that the top team(s) clearly and decisively distance themselves from the pack. So here's hoping it is a top-heavy conference and we are one of the heavy-weights.

Reaction Score
Im very encouraged by last nights game. Dook and especially ok4 are legit and we play3d them close. If we hit a couple 3's in the first half and hit our free throws we coulve had a different outcome. I think this team will get better from this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom