I hope the team is flying to Louisville tonight | The Boneyard

I hope the team is flying to Louisville tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Basketball teams flying in or out of Kentucky -- reminds me of one of Bob Costas's favorite stories. Let me share his story with you.

In the old American Basketball League, there were teams in Louisville (the Kentucky Colonels) and St. Louis (the Spirit, IIRC). Costas was fresh out of Syracuse and a rookie broadcaster for the Kentucky franchise. The team was to travel by plane from Louisville to St. Louis and, due to the short flight combined with crossing from eastern to central time zones, the scheduled arrival time (CST) was actually earlier than the takeoff time (EST). Costas approached one of the rookie players and mentioned this. The player (whose name I withhold) looked shocked (shocked!) and told Costas, "I ain't gettin' into no time machine!":eek:

Reaction Score
Basketball teams flying in or out of Kentucky -- reminds me of one of Bob Costas's favorite stories. Let me share his story with you.

In the old American Basketball League, there were teams in Louisville (the Kentucky Colonels) and St. Louis (the Spirit, IIRC). Costas was fresh out of Syracuse and a rookie broadcaster for the Kentucky franchise. The team was to travel by plane from Louisville to St. Louis and, due to the short flight combined with crossing from eastern to central time zones, the scheduled arrival time (CST) was actually earlier than the takeoff time (EST). Costas approached one of the rookie players and mentioned this. The player (whose name I withhold) looked shocked (shocked!) and told Costas, "I ain't gettin' into no time machine!":eek:

Marvin Barnes?

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score

hahahahahahahahaha... Excellent!!!

I still hope they get out tonight!!!

Reaction Score
The Huskies traveling to Louisville was my first thought when I saw the track the storm is going to take.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score

Several years ago, when I flew from Atlanta to Birmingham, Alabama, I arrived earlier than I left because of the different time zones. It's kind of weird.

When my son was in college, he flew nonstop from Chicago to Seoul, Korea, leaving on March 23 and arriving on March 25 because he crossed the international date line. His birthday is March 24. I still kid him that he's a year younger than he actually is because he missed a birthday.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
^^^ug! Was hoping the team would fly out tonight, too.
The storm is to start as ice around 4-5:00 pm Sunday (maybe they will have arrived already), turning in to heavy snow in the early evening. Calling for anywhere from 5-7 inches, 8 and higher if the storm moves "just the right way."

We have sold 19k+ tickets, with Native Americans coming from over 40 different states. Certainly would be terrible if weather disrupted this game.

The game aside, this is going to be a pretty special event. The inspiration the Schimmels have provided to their larger community is truly amazing. Pictures abound on social media of bus loads of people coming from all over the country. For all of Shoni's knucklehead plays and passes, she and Jude have inspired a nation. I am so honored to have witnessed it first hand.

Safe travels huskies. Our bit of snow should be no trouble for you!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
By the time of the takeoff,
in the worst (or bad case scenario).
Louisville airport will be closed due to icing
The latest National Weather is predicting 3/4" of ice and 3-6 snow.
With warnings (Ice most likely) commencing at 10AM.
I remember when my orch was on tour in Boston, going to Ann Arbor on the verge of a big NorthEaster
We moved up to an earlier flight and just did get out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, they definitely need a warning.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Updated Accu forecast shows threat of Ice Storm worst between 2 and 4 in Louisville Regional with a 89-91% certainty.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The latest NOAA warning is for a quarter inch of Ice and 4-7 inches of snow (with locally higher),
the warning being in effect now.

Reaction Score
UConn flies charter, right? That might give them more flexibility to leave earlier to beat the weather.

Reaction Score
As a instrument rated pilot , speaking for myself, it's the icing that would concern me the most, flying & landing in icing conditions. One should avoid or depart early if these are prevailing conditions !

Jim

Reaction Score
With the parents and families coming to campus for Senior Day, there was no way Geno was going to deprive his seniors the chance to celebrate the win/Wall of Honor/etc. with family. That kind of thing is much more important than possibly having to arrive the day of a game versus the night before.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Light freezing drizzle at the Louisville Airport as of 3PM
They should be ok
Hope they've landed already.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
JA stuck in Baltimore airport...afraid he might not make the game tomorrow due to foot of snow incoming in Maryland. A nice airport, but not where I would want to spend 24 hours!!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thanks, Cat! Good to know (and may they stay safe and warm till tomorrow night....)! And then go out and win so we don't need a coin flip....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom