I don't think the 4 team playoff will last long.. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I don't think the 4 team playoff will last long..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Semis can't be held at the same site. They must be held on the same day to keep competitive fairness. You can't turn over a stadium that quickly. They need to be held on the same day within ~8 hr driving distance of the final, if they want people to attend both games.

This also helps the local tourism immensely, instead of 2-4 day visits they get a 8-10 day visit. Even if it's split between two cities they come out ahead.

To be clear, I was referring to 3 or maybe 4 bowls rotating the 3 games among themselves. For example, in 1 year, the Orange (Miami) and Rose (LA) would host the semifinals on the same day and then the Cotton (Dallas) would have the final. The following year, it would Orange, Sugar and then Rose with the Championship. I do not think the NCAA really cares about people traveling (the host sites do).

And yes, it would be a nail in the Bowl's coffin. Only way for the Bowls outside of the Playoff rotation to survive would be to 1) have them in locations people want to travel to and 3) attract teams that travel.

Reaction Score
If it goes to 8 or even 6 ,and the BXII doesn't need to have a championship game (it sure sounds like it won't) , is realignment over?
Only if the inclusion becomes an automatic for a conference champion. Right now, a conference game championship is not required for inclusion. No conference has an automatic right to one of the 4 spots. This is why you are starting to hear from coaches that you need to win your conference to be included. They see the mess a 1-loss ND can cause if they get selected over say a 1 loss MI State or OSU (just an example, not arguing the merits of any 1 team). Dantonio has said the playoff participants need to be conference champions as determined in a championship game. Adazzio has said it, Sarkesian has said it and I'm sure there are others.

If they expand to 8 teams, then 5 will need to go to the conference champions, via a championship game, and that actually moves realignment along. The Big 12 will need to expand to have a game. ND may need to move to a conference. You will likely see a move by both Boise and BYU to get someplace.

Reaction Score
If it goes to 8 or even 6 ,and the BXII doesn't need to have a championship game (it sure sounds like it won't) , is realignment over?

The latest rumors that are swirling are that the Longhorn network is going to become the BIGXII network and that both ESPN and Texas want this. Texas finds running this costly and a pain in the ass. The long term results of this is supposed to be 4 power conferences with the ACC the one on the outs and has teams moving out. The reasoning for the ACC on the outs is several of their schools don't want to pay stipends and add the additional costs. If you want to poke around some of the other boards (Baylor, OK, etc.) feel free to play the rumor game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The television ratings continue to be there. As long as they stay - the games stay.

As long as the schools/conferences agree to eat thousands of mandated tickets those games won't change much.

The ratings are so so and the attendance is declining. Counting on schools to continue to pour money down the drain on bowls no one cares about is a bad bet. If anything, the schools have shown a willingness to be ruthless in their pursuit of dollars.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The ratings are so so and the attendance is declining. Counting on schools to continue to pour money down the drain on bowls no one cares about is a bad bet. If anything, the schools have shown a willingness to be ruthless in their pursuit of dollars.

Well I guess tell them because people keep creating new ones.

I don't know why the schools are willing to bleed on the guarantees but you don't see anyone turning down invites yet do you?

Reaction Score
Well I guess tell them because people keep creating new ones.

I don't know why the schools are willing to bleed on the guarantees but you don't see anyone turning down invites yet do you?
Generally, it is the conferences that take the cash hit rather than the schools. The BE/NBE was an exception. Also, since the conferences also get the big payday bowls, the net loss is not onerous. Finally, the coaches WANT the lower tier bowls because it aids recruiting (we were a bowl team, we can go to these bowls....) and they want the practice. The reps and coaching for the underclassman in the 4 weeks post end of season and bowl games are a significant advantage.

Reaction Score
I have always thought that they would have to go to 8 pretty quickly. Nobody watches if you end up with 3 SEC teams, Nobody watches if you end up with Mississippi or Mississippi St in the finals, for that matter. This is a made for tv movie, and now you are worried that George Clooney and Mark Harmon get killed off in the 1st scene leaving Charles During and Burt Young to save the day. It gets really ugly if say Mississippi wins the West and then gets beat by some weak sister Eastern team as happened to Oklahoma a few year ago. Do you really want to risk a Florida State Notre Dame round II? Or an all SEC final? last time that happened nobody watched. My guess long term, 5 P5 Champs and 3 at large. Maybe the AAC somehow leverages an auto bid, but I doubt it. That leave space for good Bosie/Notre Dame/BYU teams too without costing the Big 10 or SEC its change.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have always thought that they would have to go to 8 pretty quickly. Nobody watches if you end up with 3 SEC teams, Nobody watches if you end up with Mississippi or Mississippi St in the finals, for that matter. This is a made for tv movie, and now you are worried that George Clooney and Mark Harmon get killed off in the 1st scene leaving Charles During and Burt Young to save the day. It gets really ugly if say Mississippi wins the West and then gets beat by some weak sister Eastern team as happened to Oklahoma a few year ago. Do you really want to risk a Florida State Notre Dame round II? Or an all SEC final? last time that happened nobody watched. My guess long term, 5 P5 Champs and 3 at large. Maybe the AAC somehow leverages an auto bid, but I doubt it. That leave space for good Bosie/Notre Dame/BYU teams too without costing the Big 10 or SEC its change.
I think anywhere between 8 and 12 is workable, with 10 being the sweet spot. A bye goes to as many teams to get 8 into the Quarterfinals and seeds are reset after each round. This does a few things. It gives the higher seeds an appropriate advantage and it forces the bubble conversation down to double digit seeds. A 10 seed may beat a 3 seed, but probably won't beat the 3 and 1 in consecutive weeks on the road, especially if the 1 is well rested. Remember, it took about 40 years for a 6 seed (Read: 11 or 12)to win the Super Bowl.

It also gives the playoff committee flexibility on eligibility. The top G5 conference teams can easily be included (would occupy the lower seeds of course), plus at large bids for the 5CSMA. If the 5CSMA presidents and commissioners were smart (and I think some of them are. They are just outnumbered.), they would understand that "hoarding" the major bowls puts a cap on their earnings potential.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bowl attendance and ratings have been sinking for years. There's too many of them and other than the N.C. game, none mean anything. They are glorified exhibitions. Even the New Years Day games are background noise while American recovers from their collective hangover. Only fans of one of the teams and citizens in the game's locale care about non-N.C. bowl games.

Ratings are sinking...

They were only up 9% last year for BCS games last year.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ip-cables-third-largest-audience-ever/227444/

Husky25

Reaction Score
Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Re-read my post. Comprehend it in its entirely (you missed this part particularly where I wrote, "Even the New Years Day games are background noise while American recovers from their its collective hangover."), THEN respond.

So comprending = reading your mind. Got it.

Overall they went from 5.7 million viewers on average to 5.6 million. Maybe that's sinking, but given the way they measure ratings and variables from matchups to weather that looks pretty steady.

Maybe all these games are going away like you guys predict - but for 2014 there are four more games - which is the exact opposite.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So comprending = reading your mind. Got it.

Overall they went from 5.7 million viewers on average to 5.6 million. Maybe that's sinking, but given the way they measure ratings and variables from matchups to weather that looks pretty steady.

Maybe all these games are going away like you guys predict - but for 2014 there are four more games - which is the exact opposite.
Where are you reading my mind? You took that snip bit out of context. I explicitly stated that NYD games are on in the background. Besides 2011, I personally haven't paid attention to a NYD game since the 1998 Rose Bowl...pre-BCS. It was on, but that is hardly the point. I'm not alone.

Secondly, I am speaking to ALL Bowls. You reference BCS bowls. What's the year over year ratings of the Poinsettia Bowl, the Carquest Bowl, the Idaho Potato Bowl? Again I explicitly state that NYD bowls are in the background, but the people "watching" them are actually watching the inside of their eyelids.

Have a nice night, Whaler. Talk to you tomorrow.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where are you reading my mind? You took that snip bit out of context. I explicitly stated that NYD games are on in the background. Besides 2011, I personally haven't paid attention to a NYD game since the 1998 Rose Bowl...pre-BCS. It was on, but that is hardly the point. I'm not alone.

I haven't watched an NBA game in at least 5 years. I'm not alone. They still tripled their money.

The ratings are still there. The number of games is increasing. I'm merely pointing out the demise you and Waylon are prediciting is not borne out in the actions of those making investments in the games.

Hell ESPN owns half the games. They could be played on a soundstage - they exist as television programming. Not to get people to the Superdome to see CUSA play the Sun Belt.

Reaction Score

Secondly, I am speaking to ALL Bowls. You reference BCS bowls. What's the year over year ratings of the Poinsettia Bowl, the Carquest Bowl, the Idaho Potato Bowl? Again I explicitly state that NYD bowls are in the background, but the people "watching" them are actually watching the inside of their eyelids.

This is a comical back tracking and fabrication of what you wrote, also kinda painful to read.

Sometimes it is okay to admit you were wrong, which you were, and move on.

Do you have a diagram of the % of people actually watching and watching their eye lids? Do you have it by region? Love to see it

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I already gave you the numbers for all bowls. Jerry is correct it's pretty comical.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I really don't see how two SEC teams don't make it...

And if an 11-0 Miss. State loses to 11-0 Ole Miss, then Ole Miss wins the SEC Championship over Georgia (11-2). AND Alabama/Auburn go 11-1? Miss State, Ole Miss, Alabama/Auburn. The SEC deserves 3 teams. FSU the fourth.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
I really don't see how two SEC teams don't make it...

And if an 11-0 Miss. State loses to 11-0 Ole Miss, then Ole Miss wins the SEC Championship over Georgia (11-2). AND Alabama/Auburn go 11-1? Miss State, Ole Miss, Alabama/Auburn. The SEC deserves 3 teams. FSU the fourth.

Based on what? Collectively beating up on Arkansas and Kentucky? Then losing to each other? Teams play at most 3-4 meaningful games.

Husky25

Reaction Score

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Based on what? Collectively beating up on Arkansas and Kentucky? Then losing to each other? Teams play at most 3-4 meaningful games.
Strength of Schedule Ratings from TR (LINK)
1. Auburn
2. Texas A&M
3. Alabama
4. Arkansas
5. Mississippi State
6. Kansas State
7. Tennessee
8. Oklahoma
9. Mississippi
10. West Virginia
33. Florida State

I don't understand how you can argue in favor of Florida State or any other team in that matter. Especially over scheduling.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Strength of Schedule Ratings from TR (LINK)
1. Auburn
2. Texas A&M
3. Alabama
4. Arkansas
5. Mississippi State
6. Kansas State
7. Tennessee
8. Oklahoma
9. Mississippi
10. West Virginia
33. Florida State

I don't understand how you can argue in favor of Florida State or any other team in that matter. Especially over scheduling.

They use poll rankings, preseason rankings too, as the basis for their completely derivative rankings. Over such a small sample it impossible to determine relative strength of schedule across conferences. Which is why the "best conference" argument is a silly one when discussing the merits of individual members. Determine the best team from one population (conference) on the field and then determine the best of the best, on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom