I don't think the 4 team playoff will last long.. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I don't think the 4 team playoff will last long..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So thought auburn last year. Not sure where the lack of respect for fsu comes from but they are legit

Based on what?
They've beaten one top 20 team. At home. On a questionable call.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Teams that you say are better. I don't think that Alabama is and I would favor FSU over the Miss. teams. See how easy this is? The simple fact is that it's all talk until we can see these teams play one another. And I guess I am old fashioned, but when you're the reigning champion and you have yet to lose a game, I feel like that counts for something. As for the four team playoff? I say add more teams, bump it to eight and make it work for everyone to have a chance.

I clearly disagree with people that last year matters. The rosters churn 25% plus every year. Do you favor UCF over Baylor these days?

The objective evidence and the markets would disagree with you on who would be favored, but you are entitled to whatever opinion you like.

Reaction Score
I clearly disagree with people that last year matters. The rosters churn 25% plus every year. Do you favor UCF over Baylor these days?

The objective evidence and the markets would disagree with you on who would be favored, but you are entitled to whatever opinion you like.

I don't think you understand my point about "last year". This isn't Baylor, UCF, etc...it's a championship team, with a championship quarterback. That makes a difference in my opinion. Does it make them invincible? Of course not, far from it. But if in one game, you didn't favor Winston over the other quarterbacks, then I'm not sure what to think. I don't like him, I don't like them, but I have to give it to them right now. Now if you asked me who I would hope to see win, it would be Miss. State, but I would just have trouble putting it down on them.

But again, they will play, and we will see how it goes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think you understand my point about "last year". This isn't Baylor, UCF, etc...it's a championship team, with a championship quarterback. That makes a difference in my opinion. Does it make them invincible? Of course not, far from it. But if in one game, you didn't favor Winston over the other quarterbacks, then I'm not sure what to think. I don't like him, I don't like them, but I have to give it to them right now. Now if you asked me who I would hope to see win, it would be Miss. State, but I would just have trouble putting it down on them.

But again, they will play, and we will see how it goes.

I get your point about last year. Just don't think it matters. If I'm trying to determine who deserves to go
to a 2014 playoff I don't take 2013 into account.

Would your opinion of FSU be any different if they hadn't called offensive pass interference last night? If they don't make that call does that mean Golson is better than Winston?

It doesn't much matter if I'd favor FSU over Mississippi or Alabama or Mississippi State. It's pretty clear that the markets where favorites are determined by tens of millions of dollars would favor all three of those teams over FSU.

Reaction Score
Georgia 45, Clemson 21

Ole Miss 35, Boise State 13

Alabama 33, West Virginia 23

Auburn 20, Kansas State 14

LSU 28, Wisconsin 24

The SEC - particularly the SEC West - has earned two, maybe even three bids by tearing up the rest of college football. The Big Ten, by comparison, pi**ed down their leg in non-conference play - if a one loss MSU or OSU team gets in over a one loss SEC West team, it will be a crime.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I doubt there is a road schedule in college football history harder than Auburn's.

Their 5 road games are Georgia, Miss, Miss St, Alabama and for fun OOC Kansas State.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Georgia 45, Clemson 21

Ole Miss 35, Boise State 13

Alabama 33, West Virginia 23

Auburn 20, Kansas State 14

LSU 28, Wisconsin 24

The SEC - particularly the SEC West - has earned two, maybe even three bids by tearing up the rest of college football. The Big Ten, by comparison, pi**ed down their leg in non-conference play - if a one loss MSU or OSU team gets in over a one loss SEC West team, it will be a crime.

I would argue that USCe's win over ECU is more impressive than Ole Miss' win over Boise. All in, the SEC has 4 close wins over quality competition, and also has a loss by the possible Eastern Division champion to Indiana. What happens when the SEC goes 1-3 in the late season ACC/SEC games, which I think is the likely outcome.

When you don't have more games connecting the conferences, it is difficult to compare teams from different conferences.

Reaction Score
I would argue that USCe's win over ECU is more impressive than Ole Miss' win over Boise. All in, the SEC has 4 close wins over quality competition, and also has a loss by the possible Eastern Division champion to Indiana. What happens when the SEC goes 1-3 in the late season ACC/SEC games, which I think is the likely outcome.

When you don't have more games connecting the conferences, it is difficult to compare teams from different conferences.

Yes, I forgot to mention USC's win over ECU, though I was really just referencing the contenders in the conference. Admittedly, the Boise State win probably doesn't belong on the list with the others, but I'm not sure where you are drawing the "4 close wins over quality competition" figure from. Clemson, Wisconsin, East Carolina, West Virginia, and Kansas State all count as quality wins by my book.

Missouri going down to Indiana is really the conferences only blemish. Florida State beating Florida and Louisville beating Kentucky would be about as impactful to me as Alabama beating N.C. State.

Reaction Score
Based on what?
They've beaten one top 20 team. At home. On a questionable call.
Is their schedule that is made four years in advance their fault. A win is a win especially to a top five team

Reaction Score
Which 5 teams in the SEC are better than FSU? FSU beat an undefeated Auburn team in the title game last year. Ole Miss and Miss State are great stories and have really good teams, I don't think I'd pick either on a neutral field against FSU if Winston is playing. I say this knowing FSU is slightly not as good as they were last year.
Last years FSU is a lot better then this years. A lot.

Ole Miss, Miss St, Bama, and Auburn I would take on a neutral field over FSU.

What I take out of this thread is a lot of people have not watched FSU this year or last years NFL draft.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be 8. The drumbeat has already started. The same student- athlete excuses will be raised. But, the gradual move towards 8 is in the works.

As for the G5, the P5 will resist. But at 8, I think they'll be under increasing pressure at inclusion. And 8 raises the $$$. And contrary to some comments, there are lots of reasons to think that the money if going up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, I forgot to mention USC's win over ECU, though I was really just referencing the contenders in the conference. Admittedly, the Boise State win probably doesn't belong on the list with the others, but I'm not sure where you are drawing the "4 close wins over quality competition" figure from. Clemson, Wisconsin, East Carolina, West Virginia, and Kansas State all count as quality wins by my book.

Missouri going down to Indiana is really the conferences only blemish. Florida State beating Florida and Louisville beating Kentucky would be about as impactful to me as Alabama beating N.C. State.

It is 5 quality wins, which is impressive. But the primary reason that we are worshiping the SEC West is because we were told before the season started that we should worship the SEC West. Much of the SEC has not played anyone in the non-conference, and the few teams that have games left are likely to lose most of them. I do think the SEC is the best league, but the Pac 12 actually has more wins over P5 opponents than the SEC does, and played better mid-majors. Texas A&M was ranked off a win over South Carolina, which doesn't look that impressive any more, and wins over Lamar, Rice and SMU.

The non-SEC leagues bring it on themselves by playing so many FCS opponents. If they would take half those FCS games (the ACC has 14), and played P5 or quality mid-majors, the SEC's scheduling philosophy would stand out more.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It will be 8. The drumbeat has already started. The same student- athlete excuses will be raised. But, the gradual move towards 8 is in the works.

As for the G5, the P5 will resist. But at 8, I think they'll be under increasing pressure at inclusion. And 8 raises the $. And contrary to some comments, there are lots of reasons to think that the money if going up.

I think most people agree with this. The bowl attendance and ratings are going to drop significantly because all anyone will care about is the playoffs. It will be 8 teams sooner than later.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If it goes to 8 or even 6 ,and the BXII doesn't need to have a championship game (it sure sounds like it won't) , is realignment over?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ibleedhuskyblue said:
The above scenario would have happened with the old system, and likely will with the next one.

There are 120+ teams, and a twelve game schedule...it's not possible to get that totally correct. There is no answer that will get the best teams (and only the best teams) into the playoff.

This is why you must determine who isn't worthy, instead of who is, and why conference championships should matter above all. If Miss St wins the SEC championship, then I know Alabama isn't the best team in the country. They would have just spent an entire season determining that under a set of rules agreed to by everyone in the conference specifically set for that purpose.

If Miss St happened to lose to a middling team from the East division in the CCG then I might eliminate them from consideration, but they'd at least be on par with similar teams who also didn't win their conference outright.

What you'd see right away is conferences changing how their best team is determined to help their playoff chances. Which would be a good thing. It would favor smaller conferences/divisions of 9/10 with a round robin schedule if 6-8 auto bids were given.

This would help UConn find a seat.

The best thing the committee could do is give the slots to the 4 best Champs. It sticks it to independent ND as well.

We should all favor this.

Reaction Score
The move to an 8 team playoff will begin this season as there will likely be a 1 loss SEC team that will lose out on a bid to a 1 loss ND, PAC or XII team, which will not go over well. Plus, 8 teams gives enough wiggle room for the P5 to invite an undefeated non P5 team is such a team is undefeated and has a strong schedule (by excluding non P5 teams from their schedules, the P5 is already trying to close this loophole) because not doing so may get unwanted attention from the courts and/or Washington DC. P5 gives 5 auto bids and 3 wildcards and only adds a week to the schedule; but, it does dilute the bowls even further.

Ideally, the first round of the 8 team playoff is played at the home team of the higher seed. the semi-finals and final (3 games) would then be at a neutral site hosted by some rotation of bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Orange?)

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
The composite computer rankings have it:

Mississippi
Mississippi State
Auburn
Alabama
Florida State
Georgia

So maybe the argument has some
validity?

This is a function of these teams not playing anyone and getting credit for playing mediocre teams in the SEC. While you can probably throw a hat over all 6 for who is better, they are not all that different from Oregon, Michigan St.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a function of these teams not playing anyone and getting credit for playing mediocre teams in the SEC. While you can probably throw a hat over all 6 for who is better, they are not all that different from Oregon, Michigan St.

Oregon and Michigan State are probably the two most similar - but on a week to week basis the SEC in conference is playing much better competition.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
The move to an 8 team playoff will begin this season as there will likely be a 1 loss SEC team that will lose out on a bid to a 1 loss ND, PAC or XII team, which will not go over well. Plus, 8 teams gives enough wiggle room for the P5 to invite an undefeated non P5 team is such a team is undefeated and has a strong schedule (by excluding non P5 teams from their schedules, the P5 is already trying to close this loophole) because not doing so may get unwanted attention from the courts and/or Washington DC. P5 gives 5 auto bids and 3 wildcards and only adds a week to the schedule; but, it does dilute the bowls even further.

Ideally, the first round of the 8 team playoff is played at the home team of the higher seed. the semi-finals and final (3 games) would then be at a neutral site hosted by some rotation of bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Orange?)

Semis can't be held at the same site. They must be held on the same day to keep competitive fairness. You can't turn over a stadium that quickly. They need to be held on the same day within ~8 hr driving distance of the final, if they want people to attend both games.

This also helps the local tourism immensely, instead of 2-4 day visits they get a 8-10 day visit. Even if it's split between two cities they come out ahead.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Oregon and Michigan State are probably the two most similar - but on a week to week basis the SEC in conference is playing much better competition.

No doubt it's the best, and the best team on paper will come from SEC, but compounding rep by playing only each other isn't a valid analysis to say 4 out of 5.

Much like the FIFA rankings give UEFA teams extra points just for playing UEFA teams, whether it's Andorra or Germany.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No doubt it's the best, and the best team on paper will come from SEC, but compounding rep by playing only each other isn't a valid analysis to say 4 out of 5.

Much like the FIFA rankings give UEFA teams extra points just for playing UEFA teams, whether it's Andorra or Germany.

Agree. I am not sure how we determine the SEC is so much better that everyone else off of 7 games against P5 competition.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think most people agree with this. The bowl attendance and ratings are going to drop significantly because all anyone will care about is the playoffs. It will be 8 teams sooner than later.

Bowl attendance and ratings have been sinking for years. There's too many of them and other than the N.C. game, none mean anything. They are glorified exhibitions. Even the New Years Day games are background noise while American recovers from their collective hangover. Only fans of one of the teams and citizens in the game's locale care about non-N.C. bowl games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Quite a system they put together. Archie Manning now just out of the committee. Made so much sense having him on in the first place...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think most fans of the schools even care about the non-major bowls, and top programs like vtech are even seeing fan fatigue for major bowls. The big chunk of viewers are gamblers, and gamblers would definitely flock to an 8 team tournament.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The television ratings continue to be there. As long as they stay - the games stay.

As long as the schools/conferences agree to eat thousands of mandated tickets those games won't change much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom