I don't think the 4 team playoff will last long.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I don't think the 4 team playoff will last long..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If it's really about identifying the 4 best teams you'd have an all SEC playoff. Because they will pick each other off that won't happen.

What happens if Miss St and Ole Miss meet in the Egg Bowl unbeaten? You're gonna keep the loser of that game out?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If it's really about identifying the 4 best teams you'd have an all SEC playoff. Because they will pick each other off that won't happen.

What happens if Miss St and Ole Miss meet in the Egg Bowl unbeaten? You're gonna keep the loser of that game out?

Yes, the loser of that game will be left out and the winner would be too if they lose to Georgia. Which is my point - 4 teams isn't going to last long because Florida State and whoever wins the Big 10 will go to the playoffs with lesser resumes because their schedules are easier.

Reaction Score
Yes, the loser of that game will be left out and the winner would be too if they lose to Georgia. Which is my point - 4 teams isn't going to last long because Florida State and whoever wins the Big 10 will go to the playoffs with lesser resumes because their schedules are easier.

The above scenario would have happened with the old system, and likely will with the next one.

There are 120+ teams, and a twelve game schedule...it's not possible to get that totally correct. There is no answer that will get the best teams (and only the best teams) into the playoff.

Reaction Score

If an unbeaten Ole Miss loses to a 1 loss GA team both will be in the playoff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The above scenario would have happened with the old system, and likely will with the next one.

There are 120+ teams, and a twelve game schedule...it's not possible to get that totally correct. There is no answer that will get the best teams (and only the best teams) into the playoff.

No it isn't. But there is still an opportunity to improve your chances by putting together the best selection process you can. Instead we get a broken process combined with biased selectors.

Reaction Score
No it isn't. But there is still an opportunity to improve your chances by putting together the best selection process you can. Instead we get a broken process combined with biased selectors.

Again...as long as there are too many teams and not enough games....along with human beings, there will be unbalance, and bias. No way to correct it.

Btw...this post:
"Well you asked my opinion. It's fairly simple - the more you expand playoffs the less likely you are to indentify the best team through them."
is way off in my humble opinion. More games gives you more opportunity to play teams you have otherwise not played, alleviating some of the issue we have been talking about. How could this possibly be a bad thing ?

Reaction Score
Sounds like you were a big fan of the BCS. Only problem with that, teams #3, and 4, sometimes had a legit gripe they were better than team #2.

SEC should secede by itself and crown its conference champion the national champ. Then and only then will some people feel it is a totally fair and unbiased process.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If an unbeaten Ole Miss loses to a 1 loss GA team both will be in the playoff.

Possibly. I don't see them taking a team that doesn't win their conference unless it's 2 loss teams winning the Pac 12 or Big 10.

The Big 12 is probably the second best conference and may end up locked out.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well you asked my opinion. It's fairly simple - the more you expand playoffs the less likely you are to indentify the best team through them.
I disagree... I think that if we were to have 8 teams, the winner would have had to beat 3 of the 8 best at the end of the season to be declared a winner. Pretty good, if you ask me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Again...as long as there are too many teams and not enough games....along with human beings, there will be unbalance, and bias. No way to correct it.

Btw...this post:
"Well you asked my opinion. It's fairly simple - the more you expand playoffs the less likely you are to indentify the best team through them."
is way off in my humble opinion. More games gives you more opportunity to play teams you have otherwise not played, alleviating some of the issue we have been talking about. How could this possibly be a bad thing ?

Because in a single elimination format there is a lot of variance.

Do you think a 128 team NCAA tourney would increase the chance of finding the best college basketball team?

Do you think MLB increases their chances of identifying the best team by having one game playoffs after 162 games?

You can't eliminate bias but you can certainly try to minimize it. And you can certainly find people more qualified to make reasonable decisions then they have.

Pat Haden spends 80 hours a week worrying about USC. Bill Connelly spends 80 hours a week breaking down games from all over the country. Who is more qualified to pick the 4 best teams?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I disagree... I think that if we were to have 8 teams, the winner would have had to beat 3 of the 8 best at the end of the season to be declared a winner. Pretty good, if you ask me.

You have more faith in single elimination formats than I do.

The more teams in a single elimination tournament... to me it's a mathmatical certainty the less likely you are to identify the best team.

Reaction Score
Florida State will probably run the table and therefore end up in the playoff.

You could make a pretty solid argument they would be the 6th best team in the SEC.
So thought auburn last year. Not sure where the lack of respect for fsu comes from but they are legit

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So thought auburn last year. Not sure where the lack of respect for fsu comes from but they are legit

Again with last year. If I pointed out that Florida sucks this year would you bring up Tim Tebow?

Florida State was a huge favorite against Auburn last year so you've invented the lack of respect for FSU last year anyway.

Reaction Score
Well what do u base your decision that they would be the sixth best team in the sec. Do u realize the recruiting classes this team has had?? thjs team really unloads in the second half. Too much depth for anyone In the country.

The true crime in the college playoff is the big twelve not having a conference championship game. They should not even be allowed to be in the championship

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well what do u base your decision that they would be the sixth best team in the sec. Do u realize the recruiting classes this team has had?? thjs team really unloads in the second half. Too much depth for anyone In the country.

The true crime in the college playoff is the big twelve not having a conference championship game. They should not even be allowed to be in the championship

First of all I said there is an argument they would be the 6th best team in the SEC. I didn't say I'd agree with it. I'd probably put them 4th.

Unloads in the second half? They were outscored by Oklahoma State and the Citadel in the second half while playing Syracuse to a draw.

They needed overtime to beat a pedestrian Clemson team. Needed a pass interference call to hang on against Notre Dame.

If the definition of unloading is blowing out Wake Forest and NC State - then sure they unload. Hardly anyone beats up on those teams. Their head coaches are a combined 0-15 in the ACC since they were hired....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The composite computer rankings have it:

Mississippi
Mississippi State
Auburn
Alabama
Florida State
Georgia

So maybe the argument has some
validity?

Reaction Score
First of all I said there is an argument they would be the 6th best team in the SEC. I didn't say I'd agree with it. I'd probably put them 4th.

Unloads in the second half? They were outscored by Oklahoma State and the Citadel in the second half while playing Syracuse to a draw.

They needed overtime to beat a pedestrian Clemson team. Needed a pass interference call to hang on against Notre Dame.

If the definition of unloading is blowing out Wake Forest and NC State - then sure they unload. Hardly anyone beats up on those teams. Their head coaches are a combined 0-15 in the ACC since they were hired....
Well we will have to wait until Florida comes to town to see what they can do vs the sec. Until then ...they beat the sec champ and I don't see a talent deficit vs the sec.
They are undefeated none the less. Notre dame and Clemson pulled out all the stops to come away short handed. We will see what happens when the playoffs start Not their fault what their conference schedule is

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well we will have to wait until Florida comes to town to see what they can do vs the sec. Until then ...they beat the sec champ and I don't see a talent deficit vs the sec.
They are undefeated none the less. Notre dame and Clemson pulled out all the stops to come away short handed. We will see what happens when the playoffs start Not their fault what their conference schedule is

LOL. Yeah you can judge Florida State against the the best of the SEC by them playing Florida. Temple beat Vanderbilt - that would go a long way if they played Georgia I bet.

Obviously this is pointless because you keep talking about last year. Do you really not get that last year doesn't matter when you are determining who is better today?

Reaction Score
There won't be a national outcry. Who said that?

But teams better than FSU will be left out because of the huge gap in conference schedules - and that will drive change.

Teams that you say are better. I don't think that Alabama is and I would favor FSU over the Miss. teams. See how easy this is? The simple fact is that it's all talk until we can see these teams play one another. And I guess I am old fashioned, but when you're the reigning champion and you have yet to lose a game, I feel like that counts for something. As for the four team playoff? I say add more teams, bump it to eight and make it work for everyone to have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom