I don't see NBA talent on this team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I don't see NBA talent on this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When I think of Daniel Hamilton I can see him like a Kawaii Leonard-like player at the next level.

Jury is still out on everyone else.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
When I think of Daniel Hamilton I can see him like a Kawaii Leonard-like player at the next level.

Kawai Leonard actually has one of the longest wingspans and largest hands in the NBA, whereas Hamilton's biggest NBA stock knock is his short wingspan.

Reaction Score
Hamilton's biggest NBA stock knock is his short wingspan.
Didn't we recently have this discussion? Or was it about Purvis? Just because someone's wingspan is equal to his height (if DHam's is less, I stand corrected), that isn't "short." That's called "developmentally typical."

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

IMO Shonn Miller is a much better comparison for Kahwi Leonard

Reaction Score
NYC nobody on this team is Kemba or has the NBA potential to have Kemba's effect and productivity in the NBA. That is probably true, but there are NBA level talent on this team.
Hamilton and Brimah are NBA level players who will have a shot at the league. What they do there is up to them. Jalen Adams will also have a chance in the future. We haven't seen enough of Enoch yet to say yes or no, but has the tools needed to made the NBA.

Most importantly there is enough talent on this team to win a NCAA title. We won it all in 2014 with one NBA player. If we win it all this year, I can guarantee you that both Hamilton and Brimah will be first round picks.
I still don't understand this Brimah infatuation as a first round NBA pick. He is a borderline 2nd round pick at best. He is just too thin and unrefined and too old for anybody to invest in him. He doesn't even dominate at the college level especially against the better teams. He can block shots but not much else. He fits in our system but no NBA team is going to waste a pick on someone like him especially due to his age. Only DHAM and JA have NBA talent on the team currently. RP might be a borderline NBA pick also but I he will have to improve his shot selection to really be considered. Still have to see how SE develops before I can make a judgement on him.

Reaction Score
I have finally come around on Brimah. I thought he would develop more than he has. For someone who has impeccable timing to block shots it's amazing that he is caught flatfooted so often when rebounding. I rarely recall him skying for a board. His offense has leveled off, he can only score on put backs or lobs, his hands are suspect, and he is not a great or even good passer for a big man.

He will be good player for us and I love his enthusiasm but NBA material? Not this year

Reaction Score

Wrong player, right team. D ham plays more more like Kyle Anderson than Leonard.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Didn't we recently have this discussion? Or was it about Purvis? Just because someone's wingspan is equal to his height (if DHam's is less, I stand corrected), that isn't "short." That's called "developmentally typical."
NBA players are not developmentally typical. There aren't a ton of successful wings in the league with wingspans of 6-foot-8 or less.

Reaction Score
I see Dham as a late first round pick and a bench player. I see Jalen Adams having the potential to be a top 10 pick. He just needs to work on his jumpshot. Enoch, might have a chance. I don't see any other player on our team making the NBA. But I can see Purvis and Gibbs making money overseas.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If nobody gets drafted and UConn wins another NC - I am ecstatic
If guys get drafted, I am pleased for them
To me, the NBA is full of "Who's that?" to me. I have no idea where some of t hese guys come from.
You need to be the right fit, the right length, the right build - too many variables for any of us to sit here a predict if and where AB or RP will go.
I do know that DHam and JA will go - barring injury

Reaction Score
NBA players are not developmentally typical.
Knew this was coming. Not talking about height; talking about proportional wingspan.

DHam is an all-purpose SG in the NBA, for which I imagine you don't need a wingspan well beyond your height. Besides, the kid is 6'7. That's a half inch off each arm below your arbitrary length.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Knew this was coming. Not talking about height; talking about proportional wingspan.

DHam is an all-purpose SG in the NBA, for which I imagine you don't need a wingspan well beyond your height. Besides, the kid is 6'7. That's a half inch off each arm below your arbitrary length.
I get what you're saying and agree 100% that wingspan is probably overrated by scouts (look at Jimmy Butler). But there's a reason a scrub like Kelly Oubre - a worse and less effective player than DHam - was a lottery pick last year, and our guy is maaaaybe going to be one by next season (if early draft boards are right).

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying and agree 100% that wingspan is probably overrated by scouts (look at Jimmy Butler). But there's a reason a scrub like Kelly Oubre - a worse and less effective player than DHam - was a lottery pick last year, and our guy is maaaaybe going to be one by next season (if early draft boards are right).
I totally get your point about Oubre; but that's a different point that if anythig contradicts your original statement. You first asserted 6'8 wingspan as a criterion for success in the NBA. Then you mention Oubre, and I could add in Anthony Bennett (7'1 wingspan) as contradictory examples, along with Butler. But I was mainly saying that DHam won't be much of a "wing" and therefore I don't forsee him needing some disproportionately long wingspan

Matrim55

Reaction Score
You first asserted 6'8 wingspan as a criterion for success in the NBA.
It is, though. Guys who have longer wingspans get many, many more opportunities than those who don't. Just because I think it's an overly simplistic measurement to focus upon doesn't mean that a bias toward "long" players doesn't exist in NBA circles.

But I was mainly saying that DHam won't be much of a "wing" and therefore I don't forsee him needing some disproportionately long wingspan
"Wing" traditionally means either the SG or SF. Pretty sure that's where Hamilton will end up playing, though I could envision a scenario in which he does actually become a fulltime PG.

Reaction Score
K.O. has the wrong starting lineup out there. They have no pure shooters in the starting line up. Why not Omar? Clearly best perimeter player on the team. Smart player who knows the system. Excellent passer. All i see out there is a bunch of athletic guards and wings who lack fundamental play.

Reaction Score
And one more thing. Geno would coach circles around Ollie. If this game was played below rim, the women's team beats the men's team. Ollie has really mismanaged the team. What happened to Terrence Samuel?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And one more thing. Geno would coach circles around Ollie. If this game was played below rim, the women's team beats the men's team. Ollie has really mismanaged the team. What happened to Terrence Samuel?

, you know nothing.

Reaction Score
I will assume that everyone who is not graduating is coming back for another season.

Reaction Score
It's fine to be a Calhoun fan, but it comes off very strange when you're trashing the rest of the guards, who are better shooters than Omar, btw.

And it seems fitting that you'd want Samuel out there shooting too, a player who never hit a 3 for UConn in 17 attempts. I have nothing against him, but he wouldn't be challenging this roster for minutes.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
K.O. has the wrong starting lineup out there. They have no pure shooters in the starting line up. Why not Omar?

You know the saying - "Its not about who starts, but who finishes ...." As of now, Omar has not shown he should start or finish.

Reaction Score

Until the Samuel reference I thought you were just a disgruntled relative of Omar's, but I think the secret to trolling is to not give away that you're trolling, and you just did.

Reaction Score
It's fine to be a Calhoun fan, but it comes off very strange when you're trashing the rest of the guards, who better shooters than Omar, btw.

And it seems fitting that you'd want Samuel out there shooting too, a player who never hit a 3 for UConn in 17 attempts. I have nothing against him, but he wouldn't be challenging this roster for minutes.
It's clearly someone who has ties to NYC basketball.

Reaction Score
I read the other day UCONN is going to stop recruiting guards out of NYC. They just can't hack it anymore. The only NYC guards KO will look at are the ones who transfer to CT prep schools. They learn proper skills in CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom