I did not realize that Sam Cassell | The Boneyard

I did not realize that Sam Cassell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is going to be the same age as a senior in college when he hits the court for us in 2014.

Wow that is going to really help with Bazz and possibly Boat going pro. He will be an experienced guard from day one. Nice

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Is going to be the same age as a senior in college when he hits the court for us in 2014.

Wow that is going to really help with Bazz and possibly Boat going pro. He will be an experienced guard from day one. Nice
I agree. First Pitt like player for UConn regarding age. Having Purvis, SC and OC will be like having three upperclassmen and Samuel should get some decent experience this season. First time in a while UConn can transition into the next season with mature guards after the graduation of its guard leadership.

Reaction Score
Once he gets here, he'll probably be a Junior academically after 2 years of Junior College. Yet, have 3 years of eligibility. Interesting scenario.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm weirdly torn about this recruitment.
To me, his dad was the enemy.
Is SCjr the first "2nd generation" foe we've recruited since the start of the JC era? He's certainly the first to commit that I can recall.

Just remembered that SCjr's path isn't unlike his father's. He too committed to a college (DE Paul) but was declared academically ineligible. Ended up in Jr College (where? detail lost over time. probably still wandering around in my head somewhere, but not currently available.) before going to Fla State.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Just remembered that SCjr's path isn't unlike his father's. He too committed to a college (DE Paul) but was declared academically ineligible. Ended up in Jr College (where? detail lost over time. probably still wandering around in my head somewhere, but not currently available.) before going to Fla State.

San Jacinto College

Reaction Score

A worthy enemy, though. And a wonderful teammate for Ray - that 2001 Bucks team was absolutely screwed out of a trip to the finals by crooked refs.

I was a huge Cassell fan. And if his kid is 75% as good as the old man was, we'll have a hell of a player on our side.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
And Dad's prep school coach was none other than Max Good at Maine Central. We'd end up recruiting another special player from Good's "program" a few years later, and if I remember correctly (always a challenge these days) Good tried desperately to steeer him elsewhere

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And Dad's prep school coach was none other than Max Good at Maine Central. We'd end up recruiting another special player from Good's "program" a few years later, and if I remember correctly (always a challenge these days) Good tried desperately to steeer him elsewhere

Sorta, kinda, but not really.

Good thought Calhoun was a great fit for Caron.

However, Good was then hired by UNLV and quite understandably tried to recruit Caron to Vegas.

Reaction Score
I agree. First Pitt like player for UConn regarding age. Having Purvis, SC and OC will be like having three upperclassmen and Samuel should get some decent experience this season. First time in a while UConn can transition into the next season with mature guards after the graduation of its guard leadership.

I didnt realize oldies were a Pitt thing, but wouldn't Caron fall into that category? He was like 23-24 when he went pro right?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I didnt realize oldies were a Pitt thing, but wouldn't Caron fall into that category? He was like 23-24 when he went pro right?
Born March 1980 (edited from 1990) and drafted June 2002. 22 years old

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ha, thanks. Yeah, if it was an offspring of Laettner we were talking about coming to UConn, we would have a problem. SCJr? That's fine. His dad was a good competitor and hopefully he will be the same.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Pretty sure Selvie was pushing 40.

Reaction Score
Is SCjr the first "2nd generation" foe we've recruited since the start of the JC era? He's certainly the first to commit that I can recall.

I thought of Jeremy Lamb whose dad Rolando beat Calhoun. But perhaps JC coaching at Northeastern doesn't qualify here.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I thought of Jeremy Lamb whose dad Rolando beat Calhoun. But perhaps JC coaching at Northeastern doesn't qualify here.
Since we we weren't playing against RLamb, he wasn't a known foe to UConn. We didn't learn of him until after the fact, when he was already on our side so to speak, sending young Jeremy off to Storrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom