I consider this a successful season | The Boneyard

I consider this a successful season

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I understand we all want to play in the postseason... but this team, given the hand it has been dealt, has performed admirably. I would consider this year a success; despite the ban. The only way it could have possibly been better would have been winning the BE regular season, but realistically, who could have predicted that after the off-season turmoil?!

The main positives from this year:

1) Player improvement - huge leaps made by lots of guys this year. Shabazz could be an AA next year if he keeps projecting upwards. Daniels has gone from an enigma to an impact player on offense and defense. Calhoun is a totally different player now compared to earlier in the year; he's got the Onions. Giffey has improved his defense, cut down on turnovers, and looks much more comfortable out there. Nolan has shown flashes of late. Wolf actually looked like a solution for this team at center until his incident.

2) Heart/effort - This team certainly isn't lacking in this department. A dramatic shift from last year's much more talented team that couldn't seem to impose it's will on a game. This year the team has been tough, gritty, and right in the mix to win just about EVERY game at the end. They've suffered through some tough calls by officials yet remained steadfast and determined in their course. Quite an impressive display from a team that I've THOROUGHLY enjoyed watching this year.

3) Ollie - We didn't really know what we had with Ollie as a HC coming into the year. I think its safe to say we got ourselves a keeper. You could argue that he is responsible for #1 and #2 on this list (player improvement and heart/effort). He's got his contract situation resolved which should allow him to recruit higher quality players and bring in kids that fit his system. I love his coaching style and everything about his demeanor. The kids respond to him. The future is certainly bright.

4) Winning - (duh) The team managed to pull off some signature wins throughout the year. MSU, ND, Syracuse are all impressive wins from a team as undermanned as we have been this year. (And oh-so-close to adding Georgetown who is currently in line for a 1 seed). They've got a legitimate shot at a 20 win season with basically NO frontcourt presence and being over-matched on the boards ALL YEAR. The team has been clutch from the line in the final minutes of the game and OT (excellent from the stripe all year). Speaking of OT... how about 4-2 in overtime games!? This team can get it done.

This season has been one of the more enjoyable seasons for me as a UConn fan, which is remarkable to admit considering this team won't play a minute in the post-season. I'm very excited for the future prospects of this team. And I think other teams are a little nervous now that they have realized that the DEMISE of UConn is not something they can count on. Stoked for next season, but the team has been a success this year. Bleed blue.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Great post. If Shabazz comes back, he and DD could conceivably both be in All America discussions.

Reaction Score
We have no bench point guard and no 5's. It's frankly a miracle that we have the record we have and we should have won 3 more BE games. KO has exceeded all expectations so from that vantage point it's great. It just don't feel that way though. For me it has not been an enjoyable season no matter how you slice it what with the conference and the ban problems.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I can't believe they're doing this with only two ball handlers and every game is a fight to the finish . Good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom