Husky Football To Host Season Ticket Holder BBQ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Husky Football To Host Season Ticket Holder BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great time, well worth the ride for us from Port Chester. I hope this becomes a annual thing. Got a chance to speak with a few of the players, and had a very nice conversation with Matt Balis. Things are on the upswing there that's for sure. Balis was VERY happy with the work the kids have put in.
I have had the opportunity to visit with him at little league baseballs games over the last two summers. His son and my nephew are the same age and are getting to be good friends. He always makes time to speak about football at games and just life in general. Last week he said that he is working this team harder than he has worked a team in a long time...if ever. The schedule has a lot to do with it.

Reaction Score
I have had the opportunity to visit with him at little league baseballs games over the last two summers. His son and my nephew are the same age and are getting to be good friends. He always makes time to speak about football at games and just life in general. Last week he said that he is working this team harder than he has worked a team in a long time...if ever. The schedule has a lot to do with it.
Navin,
Did you ever get the sense that the general level of fitness was as bad as some people feared?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The handful of players I chatted with all echoed that Balis is pushing them VERY hard.

Btw, players were all exceptionally friendly and were at home just striking up conversations with the fans... Seemed to genuinely appreciate the support and turnout.

Reaction Score
Navin,
Did you ever get the sense that the general level of fitness was as bad as some people feared?
Last summer I asked him about the condition of the players from the past regime. He wouldn't badmouth anyone. He stressed not making bowl games is so massive to the decline of a program. So to answer your question, I did get the sense that the strength program was as bad as it was, but he would come out and say it. He's a class guy. I saw him a day after Foley was let go. He said he is one of the best he's been around but the business they are in isn't nice to people.

Reaction Score
Had a great time. Kids had lots of fun. Players did great job of talking to everyone, taking pictures, etc. Hope this becomes an annual event.

Reaction Score
This event was a touchdown!

Random observations:

Agree completely with CL82-- HCBD was a strand of love beads away from looking like a '70s meditation guru.

Sat next to members of the O-line (Rutherford, Oak, Hopkins, Knappe). Had great conversations with Omaine Stephens, Josh Marriner, Dhameer Bradley. They said the BBQ was a nice break from the routine and emptiness of the campus. They lit up talking about their chance to play in Yankee Stadium last year. Each was very genuine and kind to spend dinner with perfect strangers.

Got a big smile and high five from Mikal Myers when we told him we were going to the Missouri game. His high five packs a punch!

Several players and children were scrimmaged near the weight room. A youngster was touched out of bounds at the one yard line. He was so disappointed that he walked back to his parents and sat on the turf. Jamar Summers stepped out of his role as scrimmage QB, went over to the boy, talked to him and got him back into the fun.

A few plays later, Mikal Myers lined up on the nose against a five or six year old snapper. After the snap, Mikal picked up the little boy and toted him down the field. The look on the kid's face was priceless!

Big kudos to UCONN football for this event. It was fun, interactive and a great boost to get me through to the Villanova game. I hope they bring it back next summer and beyond.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Echo that the players seemed to enjoy the interaction. A few thoughts crossed my mind as were walking around and meeting some of the players. First is, I can't believe there are people in the world, as in opposing players, who can sometimes push Knappe around. He is one big human. The second is, Newsome is short, but he is put together. The third is Marriner is also put together. The fourth is a player who I don't know much about and I don't know how much action he sees, but Cameron Stapleton is a really nice young man who loved playing around with the kids who just wanted to catch a football from a player. He was pretty accurate too, for a guy who is now listed as a linebacker. A fun event.

Reaction Score
NoelThomas0510:43am via Mobile Web (M5)
It really is time for me and my dawgs to shine. Wait on it.
CIbxVkuWsAAAL6w.jpg

Lemelle, Lucas, Thomas, Bradley

Reaction Score
Great time! The players were engaging and entertaining. Food was good. Beer was cold. Activities were fun. And my kids won an IPad Mini.

Thank you UConn Football Team and Marketing Dept. for a terrific time. Go Huskies!
All true, but you dropped every ball I threw to you - Killed my night!

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
I had a similar experience as others posted earlier. A few quick observations in no particular order:

Kudos to the athletic marketing department for putting together and executing well on a great event. They've come a long ways from a few years ago.

The Burton complex is very impressive!

The players were amazing in the way they interacted with the fans - especially the children. It was a great reminder that these players are student athletes (young adults) and not paid professionals. It's easy to forget this fact with college football becoming such a large business. There is a reason why we should cheer loudly for the players when they run out of the tunnel and leave the field at every game. No booing these fine young men!

Food, games, atmosphere were good. Nice touch handing out complimentary tickets to the home opener on the way out.

I hope they do this again next year and more importantly I hope they signed up some new season ticket holders.

Oh yeah - Erika Wachter's dress :)

Reaction Score
Great time, well worth the ride for us from Port Chester. I hope this becomes a annual thing. Got a chance to speak with a few of the players, and had a very nice conversation with Matt Balis. Things are on the upswing there that's for sure. Balis was VERY happy with the work the kids have put in.

Had a nice time at the barbecue, unfortunately all the work that Ryan Crozier put in will be on hold for another year.
I heard he tore his ACL during drills and is out for the season. Losing starting TE and Center before the season starts is not good, I am confident that Alec Bloom and Tommy Myers will get it done. Lets wait and see who ends up at Center.

Reaction Score
Had a nice time at the barbecue, unfortunately all the work that Ryan Crozier put in will be on hold for another year. I heard he tore his ACL during drills and is out for the season.

You heard that @ the BBQ?

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Great time! The players were engaging and entertaining. Food was good. Beer was cold. Activities were fun. And my kids won an IPad Mini.

Thank you UConn Football Team and Marketing Dept. for a terrific time. Go Huskies!
There was beer??

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I had a similar experience as others posted earlier. A few quick observations in no particular order:

Kudos to the athletic marketing department for putting together and executing well on a great event. They've come a long ways from a few years ago.

The Burton complex is very impressive!

The players were amazing in the way they interacted with the fans - especially the children. It was a great reminder that these players are student athletes (young adults) and not paid professionals. It's easy to forget this fact with college football becoming such a large business. There is a reason why we should cheer loudly for the players when they run out of the tunnel and leave the field at every game. No booing these fine young men!

Food, games, atmosphere were good. Nice touch handing out complimentary tickets to the home opener on the way out.

I hope they do this again next year and more importantly I hope they signed up some new season ticket holders.

Oh yeah - Erika Wachter's dress :)

This was actually me and my daughter in the video... OL Jake Basilica was awesome and the rest of the players were too. This event was really great, and I think much needed given the state of things right now. To a man, all the players were super positive on their outlook for the season, and ready to work. I think the biggest thing that stood out to me was how intense and detailed the workouts are these guys are doing daily. And this is the 'preseason'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom