How Rich Donors and Loose Rules Are Transforming College Sports (NYT) | The Boneyard

How Rich Donors and Loose Rules Are Transforming College Sports (NYT)

Reaction Score

Back door access link <<

-> The New York Times identified more than 120 collectives, including at least one for every school in each of the five major college football conferences. The average starter at a big-time football program now takes in about $103,000 a year, according to Opendorse, a company that processes payments to the players for the collectives. This year, Opendorse said it expects to process over $100 million in payments for athletes, with about 80 percent coming through collectives.

In tandem with the loosening of transfer restrictions, which no longer require athletes to automatically sit out a year if they change schools, the scale of the available payments has become a critical factor as coaches seek to retain their best players and poach talent from rival schools. <-

-> “It’s the most important thing in college football,” said Kyle Whittingham, the head coach at the University of Utah. This month, Utah’s Crimson Collective announced that every scholarship football player will be able to drive a new $61,000 Dodge truck at no cost.

“It’s the most important thing in recruiting, which is the most important thing to your program,” Mr. Whittingham said. <-

-> Because they are not operated by the schools, collectives ignore Title IX, a federal law that requires colleges to provide equal treatment to male and female athletes. At top schools, the average men’s basketball player with a collective contract is paid $37,000, and the average women’s player $9,000, according to Opendorse.

“You’ve got these collectives that are sitting just outside the door of the athletic department, distributing lots of money,” said Michael LeRoy, a University of Illinois professor who has studied collectives and found that one school paid 89 percent of its money to football and men’s basketball players. “Just inside the door, Title IX applies. But outside the door, it doesn’t apply. It’s a sham.” <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Back door access link <<

-> The New York Times identified more than 120 collectives, including at least one for every school in each of the five major college football conferences. The average starter at a big-time football program now takes in about $103,000 a year, according to Opendorse, a company that processes payments to the players for the collectives. This year, Opendorse said it expects to process over $100 million in payments for athletes, with about 80 percent coming through collectives.

In tandem with the loosening of transfer restrictions, which no longer require athletes to automatically sit out a year if they change schools, the scale of the available payments has become a critical factor as coaches seek to retain their best players and poach talent from rival schools. <-

-> “It’s the most important thing in college football,” said Kyle Whittingham, the head coach at the University of Utah. This month, Utah’s Crimson Collective announced that every scholarship football player will be able to drive a new $61,000 Dodge truck at no cost.

“It’s the most important thing in recruiting, which is the most important thing to your program,” Mr. Whittingham said. <-

-> Because they are not operated by the schools, collectives ignore Title IX, a federal law that requires colleges to provide equal treatment to male and female athletes. At top schools, the average men’s basketball player with a collective contract is paid $37,000, and the average women’s player $9,000, according to Opendorse.

“You’ve got these collectives that are sitting just outside the door of the athletic department, distributing lots of money,” said Michael LeRoy, a University of Illinois professor who has studied collectives and found that one school paid 89 percent of its money to football and men’s basketball players. “Just inside the door, Title IX applies. But outside the door, it doesn’t apply. It’s a sham.” <-

I'm curious as to how the $103k average came about. Mean or median? A couple of high priced players at a million apiece really skews numbers for a majority of the players.

For basketball, $37k for men vs. $9k for women, how does that compare to NBA vs. WNBA? We all know that answer.

Players wanted compensation and wanted a free market and it's not regulated right now. As in any industry playing under those "rules" some are going to make out way better than a majority. It favors the super high end subset of the 1%.

Reaction Score
I don't want to hear anybody bitch about title ix. Women do not deserve the same amount of money from volunteers just because they breathe and play sports

If they get more, fine. If they get less, fine. NIL money is just money between two private entities.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This guy has heard of $100 handshakes and SMU right? It's just now out in the open. The short window where every top kid wanted to play at Bama, OSU, or USC because of a coach was the outlier.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how this will effect donations to the school for facilities and such. Will endowments drop? There's only so many wealthy donors out there.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how this will effect donations to the school for facilities and such. Will endowments drop? There's only so many wealthy donors out there.
I think some will engage more because it gives their money direct purpose whereas more general athletics funds aren't specific in nature so the donor has less control... but I also see things your way in that "why donate to the school when I can just give to the player".

Reaction Score
Movies like "Johnny Be Good" and "Blue Chips" warned us...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom