How many Olympians on this team? | The Boneyard

How many Olympians on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
While musing about how Kia is on a very welcome uptick in recent games, I recalled a video, probably a Geno Auriemma Show, in which Geno noted proudly that his 2001 team had five Olympians. That's pretty good.

I wonder how many from this year's UConn team will eventually play on an Olympic squad. I'm pretty confident of one. I predict four total: Kia, Stewie, Moriah, and Katie Lou.

What do you think?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The early 5 were Sveta, Sue, Diana, Swin, and Asjha. That team was probably the greatest collection of talent assembled, but injuries and a magical ND season kept them from winning the national championship.

I think Kia is lock this year. Stewie is a lock eventually if healthy. I think she plays and contributes in 2016. The U.S. has been looking for a pass-first point guard. Several players are in the mix, but Moriah is on a path to make the team. She's small, but her game is HUGE. Morgan's level of play can probably be high enough. Her knee is the question. Lou is likely, in my opinion. She'll be like Stewie and EDD. I think it's 3 for sure, possibly 4 or 5.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think Gabby has a good shot, although it might not be in basketball
You know I was watching the SEC indoor track and field championships on TV the other day. The winner of the high jump cleared 1.82 meters (almost 5-11.5 feet). Then I looked up Williams and she has cleared 6-2.25 feet (in HS). :eek:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Breanna is on the team. Kia is definitely on Team Canada. Mo eventually makes Olympic teams-maybe 2020. KLS's Olympic future is entirely open. Pretty much a "wait and see" with everybody else currently playing for Uconn

Reaction Score
While musing about how Kia is on a very welcome uptick in recent games, I recalled a video, probably a Geno Auriemma Show, in which Geno noted proudly that his 2001 team had five Olympians. That's pretty good.

I wonder how many from this year's UConn team will eventually play on an Olympic squad. I'm pretty confident of one. I predict four total: Kia, Stewie, Moriah, and Katie Lou.

What do you think?
How many people are dead in that cemetery?:D

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The early 5 were Sveta, Sue, Diana, Swin, and Asjha. That team was probably the greatest collection of talent assembled, but injuries and a magical ND season kept them from winning the national championship.

I think Kia is lock this year. Stewie is a lock eventually if healthy. I think she plays and contributes in 2016. The U.S. has been looking for a pass-first point guard. Several players are in the mix, but Moriah is on a path to make the team. She's small, but her game is HUGE. Morgan's level of play can probably be high enough. Her knee is the question. Lou is likely, in my opinion. She'll be like Stewie and EDD. I think it's 3 for sure, possibly 4 or 5.
Interesting. I hadn't really considered Morgan. I have a hard time projecting how good Morgan will be in the pros and in the Olympics conversation. It'd really be something if each of the class of '12 made the Olympic team eventually. What an encore!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting. I hadn't really considered Morgan. I have a hard time projecting how good Morgan will be in the pros and in the Olympics conversation. It'd really be something if each of the class of '12 made the Olympic team eventually. What an encore!
I think she could get a gig sort of like Jones - where she comes into the team as a reserve multifunction player when the team is a little short because of injuries. The competition for forward spots is fierce on the USA squad and I don't see it getting any easier - when players like Dupree and the O sisters aren't able to crack the Olympic team yet, it says something about the abundance of high quality players available.

Reaction Score
You know I was watching the SEC indoor track and field championships on TV the other day. The winner of the high jump cleared 1.82 meters (almost 5-11.5 feet). Then I looked up Williams and she has cleared 6-2.25 feet (in HS). :eek:
"I am going to put it on hold," Williams said. "I haven't decided yet, I still have a lot of time. training after college (to make a run at making the 2020 Olympic team) but I really want to focus on college basketball."

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/06/uconn-freshman-williams-promising-high.html

Reaction Score
Gabulous has the most athleticism of anyone on this year's UConn team..and that is saying something. I think her BB potential is just now being tapped.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
What kills me about that is that she was only 15! Fifteen! :confused:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So I guess Gabulous would have met the minimum.

I wonder who has the higher vertical, her or Moriah. MoJeff can rise.
I think maybe Mo because she has tremendous hops and is lifting much less weight than Gabby.

Reaction Score
I think maybe Mo because she has tremendous hops and is lifting much less weight than Gabby.
Yes, This year is Mo, next year must be Gabbulous.....

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yes, This year is Mo, next year must be Gabbulous.....
Some of those pictures by DannyK of Mo shooting a layup show her way up in the air--gravity defying. Both are exemplary athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom