Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good?, no.
Great?, no.
Super?, at least.
Superstar?, probably.
Out of this world?, think so.
In a class by herself?, we'll find out next year (Dolson gone).
Remember, even the stellar Maya Moore couldn't carry us to the NC after our star center Tina left.
Different supporting cast of course.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Good?, no.
Great?, no.
Super?, at least.
Superstar?, probably.
Remember, even the stellar Maya Moore couldn't carry us to the NC after our star center Tina left.

Hors catégorie!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
We will have Tuck I hope and hopefully Stokes continues on her trajectory. Stewie will need help inside. Guards we got. KML we got.

Reaction Score
It is possible to measure how good Stewie is right now if you look at the numbers. State Championships, USA Basketball Gold medals, National Player of the Year high school and college, 2 Final Four MOP, Two National Championships College. If you measure her greatness on potential you have to look at the Three greatest Huskies of all time- DT, SB and MM. Each of those greats have two WNBA titles, Olympic Gold medals, European Championships, etc. She could be the G.O.A.T.(greatest of all time) if her success continues for the next 10 years at the same rate her last 5 years. And if you forget the data and just look at how un-guardable she is compared to any other player you might name, she stands out as a top 5 of all time.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If you consider the great UConn players (and there are many), the consensus has been that the all time Husky starting five is:

Sue Bird
Diana Taurasi
Maya Moore
Rebecca Lobo
Tina Charles

This lineup fills out Positions 1 through 5 appropriately, recognizes greatness, and acknowledges what each player did for this beloved program.

Now, I think Rebecca's contributions to UConn are immeasurable...but I think Stewie replaces her at the four spot when she leaves Storrs. She's going to win NPOY in more than one season (and she'd be ahead of Lobo in that category). She's already won more NCs than Rebecca and has two F4 MOP awards to go with her championships. I think Breanna changes the way the game is played. Her height and versatility make her great to watch and impossible to gaurd, plus she's been the Notre Dame dragon slayer in different ways. Stewie is everything we expected she'd be, and we expected everything. That's how good she is.

Reaction Score
If you consider the great UConn players (and there are many), the consensus has been that the all time Husky starting five is:

Sue Bird
Diana Taurasi
Maya Moore
Rebecca Lobo
Tina Charles

This lineup fills out Positions 1 through 5 appropriately, recognizes greatness, and acknowledges what each player did for this beloved program.

Now, I think Rebecca's contributions to UConn are immeasurable...but I think Stewie replaces her at the four spot when she leaves Storrs. She's going to win NPOY in more than one season (and she'd be ahead of Lobo in that category). She's already won more NCs than Rebecca and has two F4 MOP awards to go with her championships. I think Breanna changes the way the game is played. Her height and versatility make her great to watch and impossible to gaurd, plus she's been the Notre Dame dragon slayer in different ways. Stewie is everything we expected she'd be, and we expected everything. That's how good she is.
I'm pretty sure Rebecca would agree with you.

arch

Reaction Score
Good?, no.
Great?, no.
Super?, at least.
Superstar?, probably.
"...just another 6'4" player...."

Reaction Score
They asked Geno this and he basically said if Stewy gains the ability to take players off the dribble and basically go anywhere she wants (like taurasi could) she'd be the best ever. Right now she is a jump shot player or backing people down but if she could take someone from the top of the key I also think she'll be the best ever.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
There is usually a jump in quality play by an individual with very good talent the junior and senior years. Stewart has already shown the talent and desire,and coming soon,the maturity factor will kick in.Once it does,there will be not enough praise and honor for this young lady.
What is the most amazing thing is,through all she has helped accomplish so far,for all the greatness knocking on the door for her,she is as humble as she was coming out of high school.
This is a once in a blue moon kind of player,and as good as many have been wearing a Connecticut uniform,there are only a handful of young ladies we can talk about as the superior ones.Stewart will be there,with the best when she is through.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Sue Bird
Diana Taurasi
Maya Moore
Rebecca Lobo
Tina Charles

Wouldn't it be something if another of next year's starting five crashes the list.
I have a tiny urchin in mind.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be something if another of next year's starting five crashes the list.
I have a tiny urchin in mind.
I love that tiny urchin and hope she gets AA recognition, but to replace Sue Bird is a really, really tough thing to do.

Reaction Score
Stewie is a one in a generation player. we somehow were lucky to have 3 of those in the 2000's :)
She is already on e of the top players in UConn and NCAA history (2 NC, 2 Final 4 MOP, Player of the year as a Sophomore, etc..) with the very real possibility of becoming the best of all time!

Reaction Score
Stewie's issue so far is inconsistency. There were games this year where she struggled or wasn't the key player for UConn (Was it TAMU where KML saved the team in the first half?). If you're the GOAT, you need to dominate every game every time. Or at least impact the game. She's proven against the 2nd best team she's unstoppable; she needs to do that against everyone else. She's got time; but she's not there yet.

Reaction Score
Stewie's issue so far is inconsistency. There were games this year where she struggled or wasn't the key player for UConn (Was it TAMU where KML saved the team in the first half?). If you're the GOAT, you need to dominate every game every time. Or at least impact the game. She's proven against the 2nd best team she's unstoppable; she needs to do that against everyone else. She's got time; but she's not there yet.

I agree she isn't there yet but I don't agree with a need to dominate every game. Nobody can do that for every game especially college kids. Some games - teammates will dominate etc.

Reaction Score
We will have Tuck I hope and hopefully Stokes continues on her trajectory. Stewie will need help inside. Guards we got. KML we got.
If Kiah Stokes continues to gain confidence, particularly on the offensive end and with Morgan back and finally healthy (hopefully), we should do pretty darn well. I'm so proud of the job KML did during the latter part of the season, particularly in the NCAA tournament where her offensive rebounding was astounding and with her having the offseason to work on her conditioning, she's going to be a monster in her senior year. Breanna is only going to get stronger and better (if that's possible) and with the influx of some really talented freshmen guards, we should really be in great shape. Nothing is ever guaranteed but I like our shot to be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Good?, no.
Great?, no.
Super?, at least.
Superstar?, probably.
Different supporting cast is correct- Bria- a freshman shooting guard forced to play pt guard, and a freshman center who could only go 2-3 minutes a clip for Maya's Junior yr. And Maya's Sr yr, we had no bench after Samarie went west. Heck, we should have been beaten by Georgetown in Regionals at Temple one of those years. Notre Dame was a better team IMO those couple yrs we started to get best by them. even with Maya. Doty injured. Our backcourt didn't match up, and neither did our depth.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
If Kiah Stokes continues to gain confidence, particularly on the offensive end and with Morgan back and finally healthy (hopefully), we should do pretty darn well. I'm so proud of the job KML did during the latter part of the season, particularly in the NCAA tournament where her offensive rebounding was astounding and with her having the offseason to work on her conditioning, she's going to be a monster in her senior year. Breanna is only going to get stronger and better (if that's possible) and with the influx of some really talented freshmen guards, we should really be in great shape. Nothing is ever guaranteed but I like our shot to be great.
Right on Buzzboy- KML stole my heart with the raising of the level of her entire game in the entire Tmt after very rough season. Breanna looks like she will be prolific. She already has been prolific on the biggest stage, twice. Kalena has stolen my heart. She played "Kelly Farris-like" in the Tmt! That is a huge compliment coming from any UConn fan. Her triple double vs St Joe's was un real. She was the consistent force in the Nebraska Regionals. She is the coolest cucumber on the court, amongst many talented and cool cucumbers wearing the UC jersey. She was my personal "cucumber" of the year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom