• 2+ loss Champions

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • No Championship

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think next year's team may go wire to wire, but the board is underrating the level of competition that will be out there next year. I agree that Stewie and Moriah won't let the team go into a game the way that they did last November against Stanford, and I think that Geno will have them ready for an eleventh championship come March, but we will all be a little anxious against SC, Baylor, ND and, (I agree with Wbbfan1), Ohio State.
I feel in my gut another undefeated season but I felt that way last October about this past season as well. My guess; undefeated with a close call or two.

Reaction Score
Should be a ton of fun watching Jefferson take her on in what could be the toughest assignment of her career, even over Loyd.

Thing about OSU is they are not a good defensive team yet, and they play a high-paced, high possession game. Those things could play into UConn's hands.

I don't see Kelsey Mitchell being a tougher assignment for Jefferson then Loyd.

Reaction Score
Again, UCONN will be the #1 TV watch on ESPN next season..........What a huge recruiting tool?..........Geno and his staff are the biggest difference. COACHING + Talent= NC #11..........

Reaction Score
The only game that could be a problem will be South Carolina at SC. Coates and Wilson will play more than they did this year. Barring injuries, it's hard to see any other difficult games.
I think this sums up the pre-season analysis pretty well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I knew what we were doing in October and November wasn’t going to be good enough to get what they wanted, which is what they have tonight,” he continued. “But they didn’t want to listen to me. They didn’t want to hear it.”

They thought they could coast.

“It was never like big, big things; it’s not like they didn’t feel like coming to practice or they were dogging it in games,” Auriemma said, adding, “It was more of, this little detail is really important, and they would tell you by their actions, ‘No, it isn’t.’ ”

LINK

Geno said these same things in his SNY Geno Show, but somewhat contradicted it by laying on some they don't want to do the skill/little things in practice. I checked the a couple of close ones, undefeated (largely on DT's assessment of Stewie's senior year), though I felt like saying 1-2 losses because of the loss of KML's steadiness. K did what DT and Maya did - hit early and settled the team. Early in the year if we get out of the blocks slow we might lift another team up and get rattled - I know we have four super starters, but it is hard to imagine doing the undefeated, steam roller bit for a fourth in a row. Looking forward to the ride though.

Reaction Score
Geno said these same things in his SNY Geno Show, but somewhat contradicted it by laying on some they don't want to do the skill/little things in practice. I checked the a couple of close ones, undefeated (largely on DT's assessment of Stewie's senior year), though I felt like saying 1-2 losses because of the loss of KML's steadiness. K did what DT and Maya did - hit early and settled the team. Early in the year if we get out of the blocks slow we might lift another team up and get rattled - I know we have four super starters, but it is hard to imagine doing the undefeated, steam roller bit for a fourth in a row. Looking forward to the ride though.
It is hard to imagine the steam roller bit until you consider what the obstructions would be. There just isn't any program or team that is just too high of an obstacle to roll over. UCONN may have played their best game last year against SC and they ROLLED! The competition doesn't require UCONN to be at their best.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Granted this is a UCONN board, but out of 90 votes, over 96% predict Connecticut will win the title next year

At this point why would you bet against them. As many nonUConn press/media acknowledged as the season drew to a close, UConn had 4 AAs on the floor - Tuck was clearly AA deserving. 3 back, Butler, #1, #6/8 and top 20 (14?) recruits with USA team experience , 2d year for Nurse, Gabby... an embarrassment of riches. Not unreasonable to see the undoable done by this crew.

Reaction Score
You've got to be kidding ... Having been close to UConn and WCBB since 1994-5, The general feeling is that this could be the very best balanced team EVER in school history and will be considered as one of the top 5 teams in WCBB ever .... After Stewie leaves next year .... they still don't see a real UConn drop off for at least three more years ...or unto Dangerfield's second season ....
On the lighter side .... Last week, having spent 7, days in Knoxville and Alcoa, the general feelings are interesting ...wish I could be their next week for the orange and white football classic ...that's when the money throwers turn out and you get the real gut feeling ... as to TN sports .... I won't go too deep until I talk with TonyC or maybe I just should try and walk across the GWB at 6PM .....LOL

More news at 11 ...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think there were many people who thought UConn would lose a few games this year because there wasn't a freshman coming in that was categorized as a superstar of the ilk of Maya or Stewie or Dianna and they had two huge losses in Stef and Bria, two seasoned starters who had earned All-American ratings in their UConn career. Having to adapt to two new starters is difficult, particularly in the early stages of a season due to chemistry and other factors. Then playing a road game early at Stanford with a team implementing a completely new philosophy from the one Stanford has played with for many, many years and the perfect storm arrived. It took them until overtime to pull away a bit from the Huskies and with two significant losses to foul trouble towards games end, our fate was sealed. I had a smidgen of optimism but I feel that I was in the minority and I think if we took a survey where all the Boneyarders wrote in, I think substantially lower than 50% would have felt that they had ANY chance of an undefeated season, much less predict one. Next year will be a different story because we only have one starter leaving and the bench from last year will be more seasoned and we've got two freshman coming in that could contribute in a very big way so I think I'd agree that next year an undefeated season is much more a viable possibility.

Based on this poll, a majority predicted UCONN would go undefeated this year (myself being one of those people).
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/will-uconn-go-undefeated-in-2014-15.58678/#post-931488

That said, I think excluding the Stanford game, UCONN will be as dominant next season. Besides the one fluke (which was truly a fluke) at the beginning of the season, UCONN rolled to another title with minimal competition. No one could stay within 10 points, the majority of teams couldn't stay within 25-30 points.

The two factors I look at are:
1. How big was the gap between UCONN and everyone else in the nation this year?
2. How much does UCONN improve/decline compared to other teams?

For the answer to 1, Notre Dame was the only team that could compete with Connecticut, and they were able to lose by 'only' ten, while needing a relatively poor offensive game from UCONN. Everyone else was 25+ points worse than Connecticut. The gap was probably as big as it has ever been in women's basketball. When you look at the tiers of women's basketball it was UCONN in Tier 1, Notre Dame in Tier 2, and everyone else in Tier 3.

For 2, I do think some other teams improve more than UCONN will this year, but UCONN stays firmly planted at Tier 1, and I don't see any teams rising for being a 3rd Tier team to a 2nd Tier one. Notre Dame was shaping up to have a team that could compete with and potentially upset UCONN next year, but losing Loyd eliminates that option. Notre Dame can still get to the title game, but doesn't have the horses to knock off UCONN. Other top programs like Florida State, South Carolina, Baylor and Louisville should improve as they return most of their key players, but all of these teams were soundly beat by Notre Dame or Connecticut. They will be better, but still two steps behind UCONN.

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I think South Florida in Tampa could be pretty competitive for 30+ mins: 10-15 MOV. They lost Tamara Taylor to graduation, but return everyone else: Williams, Jenkins, and Stringfield as seniors. They could get dominated inside, but if they are hitting mid-range shots, they can score with UCONN for a while.

Reaction Score
Looking over this thread, there is nothing more for me to,add that hasn't already been said. So looking at the question again posted in the title, it got me thinking "what can I add?" And the only thing I could think of is:

I believe Paulido and Lawler are going for and will get a three-peat, and they're walk-ons..

Reaction Score
Too early to say. A lot depends on so many factors inside an outside of our control.

Reaction Score
The only game that could be a problem will be South Carolina at SC. Coates and Wilson will play more than they did this year. Barring injuries, it's hard to see any other difficult games.
At least until the F4 I would tend to agree with the caveat that there are a few games that could be tough if the stars align (a la Stanford last year or St. John's a few years ago).

If healthy the odds are very high that the only competitive games will be SC and the two final four games. And those games will probably be comfortable victories.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
How dominant? Uh, like, uh, TOTally. Duh. Take it to the bank. :)

Reaction Score
You've got to be kidding ... Having been close to UConn and WCBB since 1994-5, The general feeling is that this could be the very best balanced team EVER in school history and will be considered as one of the top 5 teams in WCBB ever .... After Stewie leaves next year .... they still don't see a real UConn drop off for at least three more years ...or unto Dangerfield's second season ....
On the lighter side .... Last week, having spent 7, days in Knoxville and Alcoa, the general feelings are interesting ...wish I could be their next week for the orange and white football classic ...that's when the money throwers turn out and you get the real gut feeling ... as to TN sports .... I won't go too deep until I talk with TonyC or maybe I just should try and walk across the GWB at 6PM .....LOL

More news at 11 ...

After Stewie leaves - Notre Dame becomes a team to watch out a lot for. It depends on Turner, though early indications is that she'll be beast. In a fantasy matchup possible she is possibly (don't shoot me. I emphasize the word possibly) too-- a combination of tall/long for Tuck (if she comes back which she may very well do) and Collier. Too quick vs Butler.

Boykin would have possibly legit size and athleticism but right now I'm not sure how many minutes she is going to see her 1sttwo years-- especially if Morgan stays.

Potentially ND would have the best player on the court in Turner - In her junior year and possibly the best guard on the court not to mention she's a pg - in which UCONN would be working on either Chong or Nurse - and the frosh Dangerfield. The 1st are unknown pg's and to rely on a frosh pg help running your offense - leading your team to title vs a senior terrific pg -- it's a big question for that specific year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't see Kelsey Mitchell being a tougher assignment for Jefferson then Loyd.

Mitchell's much more aggressive and energetic. More tiring having to guard someone who tries to score on every other possession. She's not as crafty as Loyd yet, but she is a handful. Plus, she naturally drives to her left, something Jefferson won't have faced much.

Reaction Score
This will be very interesting. Part of me says plug KLS into Kaleena's spot and keep the other 4 starters intact. Then the thought of a front line of Morgan, stewie and Natalie seems scary. Good luck getting a rebound off that trio. Geno will have wonderful options to go to.

Reaction Score
I am still anxious to see how Geno utilizes Natalie's abilities next year... Will she be like Dolson and be the hub through which the offense runs, or will she work in another capacity....

One way or the other, the year she has spent with the team in practice will pay off in spades

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Natalie Butler doesn't have to be any more productive than Kiah Stokes was 2014-15 for the team to be as good or better than it was this past year.

As I said previously, I think Natalie's overall productivity (coming off the bench) will be about equal to Kiah's: more points, about the same number of rebounds, and fewer blocks.

That should suffice to produce an undefeated season and a National Championship.

Reaction Score
With Natalie Butler, UConn addresses its one weakness, rebounding. Also, Natalie will free up Breanna so she doesn't get pounded so much inside. The depth is what will be key. Foul trouble should not be a problem. Morgan can always move into the post if Natalie gets into foul trouble. Up front you have Breanna, Morgan, Natalie, Gabby, Napheesa, and De'Janae. In the back court you have Moriah, Kia, , Katie Lou, Saniya, and Courtney. Gabby, Katie Lou and Napheesa can play multiple positions, giving UConn even more flexibility.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With Natalie Butler, UConn addresses its one weakness, rebounding.

Chris, UConn was second in the nation in rebound margin this past year. Butler's not likely to get more minutes than Stokes did; I don't see a big rebound uptick.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Chris, UConn was second in the nation in rebound margin this past year. Butler's not likely to get more minutes than Stokes did; I don't see a big rebound uptick.

I see a big uptick in bruises for the other team. And hopefully, fewer for Stewart. This may not show up in the box score.

Reaction Score
With Natalie Butler, UConn addresses its one weakness, rebounding. Also, Natalie will free up Breanna so she doesn't get pounded so much inside. The depth is what will be key. Foul trouble should not be a problem. Morgan can always move into the post if Natalie gets into foul trouble. Up front you have Breanna, Morgan, Natalie, Gabby, Napheesa, and De'Janae. In the back court you have Moriah, Kia, , Katie Lou, Saniya, and Courtney. Gabby, Katie Lou and Napheesa can play multiple positions, giving UConn even more flexibility.

I want Stewie inside as well. Stewie gets easy baskets inside - she's basically unstoppable with her height and length/wingspan. I want Stewie in both outside and inside. And Stewie didn't get beat up that bad. She was peaking at the end of the season and basically dynamic in NCAA games. So she didn't wear down.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Coming into this season, I didn't think there was a chance UCONN lost a game with all of their talent returning. Stanford pulled off a miracle in the game of the year and proved everyone wrong. UCONN then turned back into UCONN and rolled to a 10th title. Next year, they return more talent than they did in 2014-15, and add in the #1 recruiting class. KLS should slide in nicely for KML, Butler for Stokes, add a year of experience and Collier who could be outstanding.

The rest of women's college basketball should be significantly better next year as well. Most top teams return at least 4 starters and have a lot of star freshmen and sophomores returning. Some huge transfers sat out this year and will be impact players at their new programs. That said, I thought the only team with a shot to compete with UConn next year was Notre Dame. That all changed when Loyd declared for the draft, and now I don't see anyone who has the horses to compete with Connecticut. Next year, I really do not see a team that can come remotely close to competing with UCONN. UCONN has one of the nation's best shot blockers in Stewart, Butler who rebounds well, and outstanding perimeter defenders in Nurse and Jefferson. South Carolina doesn't have enough guards who drive the line or ball movement offensively, Florida State does not have the size, Baylor will not have the size to compete inside, Maryland will get dominated inside, and Notre Dame doesn't have a proven All-American coming back. I think the closest an opponent get is maybe 10-15 points if UCONN has a poor night and the opponent has a huge game. How dominant do you think UCONN will be next year?

Very interesting that you don't think Baylor will have the size inside to compete with UCONN when Baylor is loaded with post players next year: Beatrice Mompremier at 6-4, Kalani Brown at 6-5, Kristiuna Higgins at 6-5, Justis Szczepanski-Beavers at 6-3 and Kadijah Cave at a long 6-2. If anything, Baylor has a logjam in the post position.

If UCONN were to play at Baylor I think the game would be much closer than you think.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I suspect Baylor will emerge as the greatest challenge; I'd like to see if SC's guard play can get more formidable too - that is in the mix of questions coming into next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom