How deep? | The Boneyard

How deep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
By the time March roles around how many players get playing time (not just the last two minutes) of the NC, semi, etc? I would say 8 is a good guess (Stewie, Mo, Morgan, Kia, Natalie, Gabby, KLS and Naphessa). Of course it will depend on development during the season, but how many others?

Reaction Score
With a roster of 13, eight is indeed ideal, giving the other five the mop up minutes in the fourth quarter. Your guess of the eight is probably the guess of 95% of all UConn fans, but a note of caution; Boykin was also a MacDonalds All-American and a starter for the U17 team during the summer of 2014. To automatically dismiss her could be a major mistake.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ekmark isnt on the list, nor is Chong... how about Butler?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
too many good players, Butler will for sure get major minutes

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
By the time March roles around how many players get playing time (not just the last two minutes) of the NC, semi, etc? I would say 8 is a good guess (Stewie, Mo, Morgan, Kia, Natalie, Gabby, KLS and Naphessa). Of course it will depend on development during the season, but how many others?
How deep? Let's just say other teams will be in over their heads against us.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an interesting question - the only teams Geno has coached that didn't have pretty limited rotations at the end were the Olympic and WC national teams. It is just very difficult to maintain great team chemistry when the rotation gets too big. This coming year should have enough talent, but the experience factor with college players is harder to deal with.

Reaction Score
What has been said is what I have been wondering. Will Courtney make that sophomore year improvement (especially with a full healthy season)? Where is Saniya in the mix? Can De'Janae develop enough during the season. Could as many as 11 players get contributary minutes in important games?

Reaction Score
I think that mhshuskie's eight are the most logical (and the most talented). Boykin is hard to guess. Does she just work so hard that the coaching staff will be pressed to find her minutes? Is she our next Ashley Battle, where it takes a while to find a role for her?

I think knowing that Geno generally prefers with a short bench works against the rotation going any further than Boykin (if in fact she works her way into that group), and given our schedule I'll be disappointed not to see alot of Gabby, Collier and KLS this year.

I don't know how Geno uses Ekmark and Chong this season. Chong can certainly help at guard if she's needed, but she's not going to get minutes at the expense of the three guards ahead of her. When a team is this talented it's painful but sometimes players we really like spend most of their time watching (Tahira Williams, Ashley Valley, Nicole Wolf).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Very good question, even better time frame -March. Last year in the month of March UCON had only 3 games which were semi-competitive. 2 With South Florida and 1 with Dayton.
There will be plenty of blow out games in March so I’m saying the rotation will be 10 (Stewie, Mo, Morgan, Kia, Natalie, Gabby, KLS, Naphessa, Chong & Boykin). When April rolls around it will be reduced to these 7 (Stewie, Mo, Morgan, Kia, Natalie, KLS, & Naphessa)

Reaction Score
I think that mhshuskie's eight are the most logical (and the most talented). Boykin is hard to guess. Does she just work so hard that the coaching staff will be pressed to find her minutes? Is she our next Ashley Battle, where it takes a while to find a role for her?

I think knowing that Geno generally prefers with a short bench works against the rotation going any further than Boykin (if in fact she works her way into that group), and given our schedule I'll be disappointed not to see alot of Gabby, Collier and KLS this year.

I don't know how Geno uses Ekmark and Chong this season. Chong can certainly help at guard if she's needed, but she's not going to get minutes at the expense of the three guards ahead of her. When a team is this talented it's painful but sometimes players we really like spend most of their time watching (Tahira Williams, Ashley Valley, Nicole Wolf).
I actually think we'll see plenty of Saniya this year. I have no idea about Courtney. It will be fascinating to watch how this all plays out.

Reaction Score

Don't you think it is a little to early to already give up on Ekmark and Chong for next season? At least you should wait and see how much they improved over last season before making such a judgement.

Reaction Score
What is the difference you see between Napheesa and Boykin as basketball players, I think they are both forwards that can be interchangeable

Reaction Score
If you're going off Geno's tendencies these past few years, he probably won't go deeper than 7 when it is late in the season. He may have an extra one in the rotation this year because the team is especially so deep. Last time he went deeper than that was the latter part of Shea's career (2000-2001 timeframe).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I actually think we'll see plenty of Saniya this year. I have no idea about Courtney. It will be fascinating to watch how this all plays out.
I agree. I think Saniya is a good player--she'd be starting for most teams in America--and an extremely valuable player for UCONN. Stuff happens and this team is much better off with her on the roster.

Reaction Score

Gus--You are more than likely RIGHT, Geno's most desirable number has been 8. Most workable, less record keeping.
But I would love to see 11 used on a reasonable constant basis. Being a realist I would then expect in really big games Geno would then drop to 9 or less. In recent times it's about 7 (he used Saniya and Kiah as subs in big games).

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Your eight completely discount Natalie Butler, Saniya Chong and Courtney Ekmark. Butler a 6'5" post who from all accounts has been terrific will almost certainly be in the rotation, Saniya played a role last year and there's no reason to believe she won't have at least a similar in the upcoming season, and do we know yet the level of play of Courtney Ekmark, the biggest jump for a college player is between the freshman and sophomore seasons? While Napheesa and KLS are great players they are still freshman, with everything that the term implies.

Reaction Score
Don't you think it is a little to early to already give up on Ekmark and Chong for next season? At least you should wait and see how much they improved over last season before making such a judgement.

Geno likes EXPERIENCE and hard work, Chong this year will have both. Courtney E. and Gabby will probably find playing time hard to find--unless any or all come in so improved and great assets that he has to play them, Of course there is the Pan Am effect--Nurse will probably sit after leading her Canadian team to a victory over USA (and Stewie/Moriah)--that's unacceptable!!:p

Reaction Score
Your eight completely discount Natalie Butler, Saniya Chong and Courtney Ekmark. Butler a 6'5" post who from all accounts has been terrific will almost certainly be in the rotation, Saniya played a role last year and there's no reason to believe she won't have at least a similar in the upcoming season, and do we know yet the level of play of Courtney Ekmark, the biggest jump for a college player is between the freshman and sophomore seasons? While Napheesa and KLS are great players they are still freshman, with everything that the term implies.

I haven't heard or read much about improvements with Courtney or Gabby--that would be great. Napheesa Collier after her performance in the U19 games, if she works hard in practice, I would expect her to be in the rotation freshman or no. KLS may have to show her stuff in preseason's practices--if she can shoot in College games as she did prior --she'll find some playing time. I AGREE about Saniya and Butler--Geno teaches Freshmen and less each year and you are right some Freshmen act like Freshmen. In my less than Humble Opinion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I haven't heard or read much about improvements with Courtney or Gabby--that would be great.
Broadway, there was a quote from Geno about courtney after/during the first Summer Session I'm paraphrasing " She ( Courtney) looks like a different player". The context implied it was the good kind of different. I remember the quote because it was in a thread related to who is going to replace KML's shooting in the UCONN line up.

Reaction Score

What's interesting is your parenthetical listed names at the end. All three in their careers had a really good game or two and were worth watching otherwise. Can't remember the game where Ashley Valley went off on a tear scoring--everyone asked, I think Geno too, where did that come from/??\
I don't know about Gabby, Boykin and KLS but I think N. Collier and Saniya will play often this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Saniya and Nurse be played interchangeably and Collier subbing for Butler, Collier is that good a rebounder.

Reaction Score
Broadway, there was a quote from Geno about courtney after/during the first Summer Session I'm paraphrasing " She ( Courtney) looks like a different player". The context implied it was the good kind of different. I remember the quote because it was in a thread related to who is going to replace KML's shooting in the UCONN line up.
\

Like many Uconn WBb fans I would love to see both Courtney and Gabby become what we all thought they would be. Each recruiting class come with a lot of hype, including this one, as has been point out above--Freshmen often find college harder practices, longer seasons, excessive travel, interferring practices and study time--something has to go. Gabby is quick off her feet, good open floor defender, a good shot close in, an asset against smaller frontlines--

But in terms of what Geno says about players pre season----one has to remember all the nice kind words about Kiah's outside shooting, how effective her scoring was in practice and how fast Saniya was, and how effective her 3 ball shooting was. How did that work for Uconn?? . I don't want to say Geno was blowing smoke, but maybe it was his was of giving them incentive to get better. Many think Geno is God--if he is I want him to re write portions of the bible and change the 10 commandments down to 1---no one really follow those 2 through 10 anyway. 5, 7 and 9 are looked at as jokes in movies 10 is a common pre occupation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom