How BAD is the 2015 | The Boneyard

How BAD is the 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it is the off-season, and you need to get reasonably clever to come up with a decent thread. But I can only read so many how great is Breanna Stewart threads :)

This my feeble attempt

That said, just how God awful will next year's WNBA draft be? It seems to me that KML even with her injury laden junior season, is a virtual lock for the top pick as long as she stays up right. After that?
Ugh. The immensely under developed Elizabeth Williams from Duke. The erratic Massengale from Tennessee? The underachieving Burdick? As much as I cannot stand the volunteers and their fans, it seems to me Isabel Harrison could actually be the number two pick

Which brings me to my point on Stokes. With her amazing length andathletic ability, rebounding skills and shot blocking knack, how high might she go? I mean were she to learn to take and make the open 12 footer.........Could a 3 year backup go #2?

Not trying to be too much of a homer but geez who do you pick ?Samantha Logic? Amber Orange??

Z

PS. On a related note, could 6th man BB be a first rounder??

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I know it is the off-season, and you need to get reasonably clever to come up with a decent thread. But I can only read so many how great is Breanna Stewart threads :)

This my feeble attempt

That said, just how God awful will next year's WNBA draft be? It seems to me that KML even with her injury laden junior season, is a virtual lock for the top pick as long as she stays up right. After that?
Ugh. The immensely under developed Elizabeth Williams from Duke. The erratic Massengale from Tennessee? The underachieving Burdick? As much as I cannot stand the volunteers and their fans, it seems to me Isabel Harrison could actually be the number two pick

Which brings me to my point on Stokes. With her amazing length andathletic ability, rebounding skills and shot blocking knack, how high might she go? I mean were she to learn to take and make the open 12 footer....Could a 3 year backup go #2?

Not trying to be too much of a homer but geez who do you pick ?Samantha Logic? Amber Orange??

Z

PS. On a related note, could 6th man BB be a first rounder?

If Corey Maggette can, a WBB player can do it...

Reaction Score
I never heard about Jen Hamson or Jennifer Schlott before this year so I think some players will rise to the occasion next year.

Besides- this leaves the door open for Jude Schimmel...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
They may struggle to identify which 12 players to invite to the draft. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Don't kill me for saying this but I think Izzy Harrison could go #2 in next years draft. She has way better post moves than any 2015 post player

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Zeeman - an interesting thread indeed. And Striper, a very good response. It is hard to really say what the draft will look like - I certainly know class for Uconn and some of our yearly opponents but lose track of most of that, so can't even begin to put together a list of good seniors without research. And quite a few players do emerge as the star of their team when the class in front of them leaves. But ... having just looked up the top 100 in 2011, I have to agree! Not a lot to get excited about.
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2011

Reaction Score
Don't kill me for saying this but I think Izzy Harrison could go #2 in next years draft. She has way better post moves than any 2015 post player
Then don't say it :)

See. By stating IH is good - repeating my earlier similiar view - you put us all in jeopardy of being considered fair and reasoned by those irrational Vol fans.

See I believe Simmpns this year and so far Massengale and Burdick in next years class are poorly coached and have regressed at Tenn. The blind Vol fans can't see it

Harrison tho is the exception. Has progressed nicely. Am assuming she must have a few of Geno's how-to videos hidden on her hard drive

Reaction Score
From what we know now I'd say:
Stokes- underrated but they already had the best center in CWBB
Harrison- I like the way a couple of the TN bigs played this year. They need to get her the ball more.
Asia Boyd of Kansas- She's another one who kept getting in foul trouble early and cost them games. The Twins should help her more next season. I'll be watching.
Sara Hammond- if she learns how to stay out of foul trouble
Bria Smith- now that she won't be overshadowed by Shoni she should do well. She's like Scaife and tried to force things too much last season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Harrison is good. She should be preseason 1st or 2nd team AA to start the season. Nothing wrong with acknowledging she's really good...

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The lack of depth in the talent pool for the 2015 WNBA draft makes the teams that were willing to wait for Chelsea Grey and Natalie Anchonwa, to recover from injuries, pretty smart, IMO.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The lack of depth in the talent pool for the 2015 WNBA draft makes the teams that were willing to wait for Chelsea Grey and Natalie Anchonwa, to recover from injuries, pretty smart, IMO.

As you may know, the Fever GM explicitly stated this. I believe he said that he thought Achnowa would be a top 3 pick in the 2015 draft.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
One thing is for sure I don't see anyone challenging Kaleena at this point.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
If you've got reliable scoring at guard and wing(like Minny), then Kiah is an excellent choice.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Gray

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It does look like an incredibly weak draft. Look at the 2011 Hoopgurlz Top 10 and how they've panned out:
1. KML-All American, 2x Champion
2. Williams-14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks for Duke (3x 3rd Team AP All-American)
3. Massengale-12 ppg, 6 assists before going down with injury for Tennessee
4. Burdick-has averaged under 9ppg all 3 seasons
5. Forthan-Now playing lower level college ball after a mediocre freshman season at LSU
6. Canty-7ppg, 3rpg, 3 apg last season for Rutgers as a redshirt sophomore
7. Hartman-3 points, 2 rebounds per game this season for Cal
8. Smith-8 points, 4 rebounds per game for Louisville
9. Morgan Jones-12 points, 6 rebounds, 33% FG for Florida State as a RS Sophomore
10. Logic-13 points, 7 rebounds, 7.5 assists and 49% FG for Iowa

So in summary, out of the top 10, you have 5 players who averaged less than 10 points per game as juniors/RS sophs, and only 2 players who have earned All-American nods. Of those two, Williams is consistently criticized for not improving (she's had virtually identical numbers all 3 seasons), and KML went from 2nd team AA to HM this year due to injury.

For players with WNBA potential, my short list includes:
Reshanda Gray-Cal
KML-UCONN
Elizabeth Williams-Duke
Ariel Massengale-Tennessee
Isabelle Harrison-Tennessee
Kiah Stokes-UCONN

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You have two out of SCar as well in Ibiam and Welch that may end up being in the first round.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I never heard about Jen Hamson or Jennifer Schlott before this year so I think some players will rise to the occasion next year.

Besides- this leaves the door open for Jude Schimmel...

If Jude Schimme makes a WNBA roster I will be stunned beyond belief.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You have two out of SCar as well in Ibiam and Welch that may end up being in the first round.

Two very good players that will be top picks. Both are super athletic and would not struggle with the physical nature of the WNBA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
50/50 choice without looking it up. I guess I lost the coin flip.:cool:

Its a common mistake here.. and on other boards. I cant think of any WCbb player with the last name of Grey.....though maybe there is one playing for some obscure institution out there

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
The erratic Massengale from Tennessee?

Ariel had a severe foot injury in her sophomore season. While she was able to play, she had little to no lift and no explosion and lost alot of her speed. This impacted her play in a similar way that Hartley was impacted last season. This season, Ariel returned to form and she was clearly the leader of the team, but sustained another injury and missed the last 16 games, only playing in 19. Hopefully, she can return to full health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom