Houston putting it to Springer | The Boneyard

Houston putting it to Springer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com
Take the long term contract or get buried?

He won't get buried. The Astros are just playing the system as many other teams have in recent years. By putting Springer in the minors for part of the season they ensure that he'll get arbitration rights after 3+ years (instead of being a "super two" that gets arbitration before 3 full years) and it means an extra year to reach the six full year mark for free agency. Since they aren't going anywhere this year anyway it's actually a good tactical move albeit at the expense of the player.

arch

Reaction Score
He won't get buried. The Astros are just playing the system as many other teams have in recent years. By putting Springer in the minors for part of the season they ensure that he'll get arbitration rights after 3+ years (instead of being a "super two" that gets arbitration before 3 full years) and it means an extra year to reach the six full year mark for free agency. Since they aren't going anywhere this year anyway it's actually a good tactical move albeit at the expense of the player.
Understood. So why offer the low ball contract? Or isn't it as low ball as I think?

Reaction Score
Is a gamble for both. He would be set for life. But he would be 31 when the contract expires and would have one possible big payday then.

Springer should've been brought up last year! And now they're sending him down again. It's BS.

Reaction Score
Understood. So why offer the low ball contract? Or isn't it as low ball as I think?

Well, Houston wouldn't offer it if they didn't think it was to good for them and Springer wouldn't have turned it down if he thought it was a winner. The best immediate comparison I can think of is Evan Longoria. The Rays signed him to a six year contract for $17.5M when he made the majors in 2008. It also included club options for 2014-2016. Essentially, in exchange for guaranteeing him an escalating salary for his pre-free agent years (that would mean he was pretty well set for life even if he was a bust or was lost to injury), Tampa Bay bought itself options and cost certainty for this first three free agent seasons. The first option was for $7.5M with a $3M buyout (the buyout was included in the $17.5M), so at 7 years Longoria's deal reached $22M. In total it will be a 9 year $44.5M contract after the last two options are exercised (which probably already happened as Tampa signed him to an extension beginning in 2017).

You would have to know all of the terms of Houston's offer (I'll bet they have options too) to really compare it to Longoria's. You also have to factor in salary escalation in the last 6 years.

Reaction Score
Oops, missed it. Sorry.

No issue... my point in sharing was that the article in that thread kind of addressed the issue you raised but by a different writer.

Reaction Score
He only hit like .150 in spring training. If he hits .350 its a different story. If he wants the bigs he has to keep proving it.

arch

Reaction Score
He only hit like .150 in spring training. If he hits .350 its a different story. If he wants the bigs he has to keep proving it.
Agreed. Even without hitting I believe he led the team in runs and steals. His arm is a rifle and he runs down fly balls with the best of them, but I'm not smart enough to criticize any team for talent decisions. Just a UConn fan frustrated for a UConn alum seemingly wasting away in a no-win situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom