Hot Stove | The Boneyard

Hot Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only way I could get to sleep last night was by thinking about potential changes for next season.

I think there is zero chance that the Mets even make Cespedes an offer. But that means that we are in the market for a big bat again. It looks to me like Conforto is set in left and Granderson is set in right, so the question is whether we stick with Lagares in center or go shopping for a better bat there.

Infield should be interesting. I expect that Dilson Herrera will be our second baseman. I would think about making Murphy a qualifying offer and putting him back at first, and getting rid of Duda. I think we'll need to start thinking about a platoon at third because I don't see Wright being able to keep up that regimen as an everyday player. Maybe Flores gets some time at third, which means Tejada back at SS. Or maybe a free agent?

It would be nice to have an option at catcher who could throw guys out; I don't expect d'Arnoud to go anywhere, but I'd like to have a late game defensive replacement for playing against teams like KC. It's a killer when every single or walk effectively puts a runner in scoring position.

What do we do when Wheeler comes back in June? Do we deal a top starter? We know Clippard is gone and we desperately need middle relief. I would resign Colon for the value he provides in doing whatever you need. But we still need a slew of good middle relievers.

Mets fans, who are the free agents we should be targeting? I expect to be favorites to win the division next season, and with this pitching staff I expect to be back in the World Series again. This time I want to be ready to take it, like KC was this season. But we need a few new pieces to replace and improve a few spots that cost us.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We need to sign at least one really good bullpen arm, and preferably one or two other middle relief options. I loved what I saw from Niese out of the pen this year, so I hope they keep him there. I think he can be a really good middle relief arm; Wade Davis was a failed starter, and that's how many of these great backend guys start their careers.

After that, please let Murphy go. He nullifies any good that he does. I'll always appreciate his NLDS and NLCS, but I'm just ready to move on, because if we get back here next year, you know he'll make some huge mistake at some point that probably costs us a game.

I would think about platooning Plawecki and d'Arnaud next year, since Travis didn't show all that much this year. He needs to be more consistent, and with another very good catching prospect in Plawecki breathing down his neck, we can afford to give them both playing time.

As for Cespedes, it really depends on what kind of money he gets. I could live with a 6 year, $120 million deal, but I doubt the Wilpons pony up for that, and that might not even be enough. So I'd look at a guy like Dexter Fowler. He's got speed, plays a pretty good centerfield, and is a left-hander that we can platoon with Lagares. You could put him in the leadoff spot and drop Granderson down to lengthen the lineup.

At short, we really need to find someone that can catch the ball. Wilmer doesn't have the range, and Tejada is solid defensively, but doesn't hit much. It'd be nice to find someone that's plus defensively, even if they can't hit all that well. Not to mention having a veteran that can mentor Dilson Herrera (our likely 2nd baseman next year) will be beneficial. Gavin Cecchini had a terrific year in AA, so you have to figure he's not far from the bigs. Sign a veteran that can play the position really well to bridge the gap until Cecchini is ready (hopefully by June or July).

I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Bartolo to a cheap deal as a 5th starter until Wheeler is ready. He's also shown he can pitch out of the pen if we don't have any injuries and don't have a spot for him in the rotation anymore. But if you upgrade the pen, make a few incremental improvements in the lineup, I think we can get right back to the World Series next year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What about going after Colby Rasmus to platoon him in CF with Lagares?

I guess the biggest question about Cespedes is how injured he has been since September. I would rather spend our money elsewhere.

As for Murphy, I think putting him back at first helps reduce the defensive liability, and even though he failed to produce in the WS, I would expect his offensive numbers to be better overall next season. I love his passion and if we can keep him for the right price and move him to first I would like to. I have more hope in him improving his offensive production than I do in Duda being consistent.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Murphy is just as inconsistent as Duda, though, and doesn't have his power. Not to mention Duda is a better defensive first baseman, last night's throw notwithstanding. I'm just sick of the blunders from Murph, and don't want to pay him a bunch of money through his age 34 or 35 season. And he sure as HELL ain't worth the $16 million QO next year. Duda's not perfect, and his inconsistency bothers me, but Daniel Murphy isn't the answer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Murphy is just as inconsistent as Duda, though, and doesn't have his power. Not to mention Duda is a better defensive first baseman, last night's throw notwithstanding. I'm just sick of the blunders from Murph, and don't want to pay him a bunch of money through his age 34 or 35 season. And he sure as HELL ain't worth the $16 million QO next year. Duda's not perfect, and his inconsistency bothers me, but Daniel Murphy isn't the answer.
I'm not saying that Murphy is the answer. I'm saying I would make him the qualifying offer, which obligates us only for one year if he takes it, and we could make use of him again for a season. More than likely, he does not take it because he gets a better offer elsewhere, and we get a draft pick in return.

I don't think Duda is a good defensive first baseman. I think he and Murphy are a wash there, and I think Murphy can be expected to have more power going forward based on the adjustments he made this season.

We can't make Cespedes a qualifying offer because he wasn't on the Mets for the whole season.

One thing on which I have reversed course is the thought of entertaining a Harvey trade for some blockbuster deal for a top SS or CF bat this offseason. I want to keep this rotation together for next season and see where we are at the All-Star break, and if Wheeler is back.

But if we're letting Murphy and Cespedes go we need to replace the offensive production, so we've got to look to spend if there is a star SS or CF available.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox have a pair of 23 year olds at the SS and CF position and we need startin pitching.
Just saying...

Reaction Score
The Red Sox have a pair of 23 year olds at the SS and CF position and we need startin pitching.
Just saying...
Ha! You don't want to give away starting pitching, especially young starting pitching that could get--or has been--injured. Never too much of it. But next year, if all are healthy, it seems the Mets have 5 young hard throwing guys (Harvey, de Grom, Syndegaard, Matz, Wheeler). Maybe you consider giving one of those end-of-rotation guys up for some young hitting. It's hard with pitching, though, to know who can stay healthy. I remember the Wood/Prior Cubs, or the A's of Mulder/Zito/Harden/Hudson. They thought they were in good shape, and the window closed.

Regardless, they need a big bat, they need a middle reliever to go with (hopefully) Niese. Maybe a set-up guy to get to Familia. And then some defensive upgrades when possible.

But this requires money to be spent. Hopefully the success--and excitement--of the season will finally convince the ownership to pay up.

Reaction Score
Just saying...

Let's hear the trade you offer to the Mets, it would be interesting for sure if these 2 teams were to deal.

Reaction Score
Trading Betts would make me sick but just throwing it out there what about a Betts for Syndergaard deal. Cespedes is long gone, the Mets could use an OF unless Mets fans want Bogaerts even more.
On the other hand I think if Dombrowski could trade a Swihart and package some top prospects for a young cost controlled pitcher and keep Betts he may do that.
Bogaerts to me is really good but IMO I might be more willing to trade him then Betts. Not sure if the Mets are looking SS with Flores there compared to OF.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't the Mets want to re-sign Cespedes? If they can sign him for $20M/yr, that seems like a bargain to me considering the QO this year is $15.8M. Give him an opt out after year 3 or 4 if he wants and you can re-assess at that point. But the dude exploded after coming to New York and is the everyday star player that New Yorkers love to watch. This is not the time for the Mets to get cheap and go back to scraping the barrel for 1 or 2 runs a game.

As for a deal with the Sox, I wouldn't trade any of the pitchers. You can always fill in offensive holes through free agency. Finding ace level pitching, not to mention six of them, is not as easy. You're building over the long haul and just went toe to toe with Greinke, Kershaw, and Arrieta...and won. They're all under cost controllable terms. Not to mention, the Mets have their own stable of young bats on the horizon. Conforto is already here. Nimmo, Rosario and Cecchini are nearly in New York. Smith is probably 2 years out but could get fast tracked if he starts strong in AA in 2016.

As for free agency, I'd love to see the Mets make a run at Ian Desmond. He'll likely be tendered so the Mets would lose their pick, but he's coming off of a subpar year that could drive his price down. Before 2015, Desmond posted 3 straight 20/20 years. He's not good defensively, that's no mystery. But the Mets staff aren't pitch-to-contact...they are swing-and-miss pitchers. If the Mets do lose Cespedes to FA, then G Parra would be a nice replacement. Can hit leadoff, good defender, good speed and cheap. Won't be tendered. D Span is tougher to figure - would be insane for the Nats to tender him at $15.8M. But if he does hit free agency, I think a few teams will bid him up. I still think the annual will come in less than $15M/yr, and if the Mets can get him at 3 or 4 years, it might not be bad. Good leadoff guy, plus defender, good speed.

There are good middle relief options out there too. Joakim Soria would be a great 7th inning guy if you can convince him not to sign as a non-closer. Darren O'Day is as good as it gets in a setup role. Bastardo might be a nice LHP option for middle innings to play match up. I would love to see what Brandon Morrow could do in a relief role. Dude comes with TREMENDOUS injury baggage, but he's got a live arm custom built for the 7th or 8th inning. If he can somehow mysteriously stay healthy for a year in the pen, he could find a niche for his career (and the Mets could reap the benefits).

Reaction Score
Trading Betts would make me sick but just throwing it out there what about a Betts for Syndergaard deal. Cespedes is long gone, the Mets could use an OF unless Mets fans want Bogaerts even more.
On the other hand I think if Dombrowski could trade a Swihart and package some top prospects for a young cost controlled pitcher and keep Betts he may do that.
Bogaerts to me is really good but IMO I might be more willing to trade him then Betts. Not sure if the Mets are looking SS with Flores there compared to OF.

Interesting. While I like Betts if I'm the Mets you would need to sweeten that deal. Thor is a stud starter to be while Mookie is really good, they can find another on the market somehow. Not sold on Swihart as of yet and with their catchers doubt they'd be interested in that as an add on. They could use someone who can throw a baserunner out though as we saw in the WS.

Good one though.

Reaction Score
It's actually a trade that works pretty well. Not sure I'd pull the trigger though...Mookie is the perfect fit for the Mets though. Defensive right handed table setter who could lead-off/bat 2nd, steals some bases and plays great D from what I've seen.

Gun to my head...Thor for Mookie? No, sorry. Although someone like Mookie is perfect.

Also, Sox are on record that both Mookie and Boegarts are off the table.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yankees:

PRICE (please!!)
Tanaka
Pineda
Eovaldi
Severino

Nova (trade?)
Sabathia (long relief?)

Dooley

Reaction Score
Thor for Betts is a complete non-starter for me if I'm Sandy Alderson. If the Sox lowered their price down to, say, Zach Wheeler, then we can talk. But I know the Sox value Betts (and Bogaerts) very highly...which is why I wouldn't even bother engaging them in trade talks in the first place. I honestly think the only reason the Sox would talk trade is to use as bargaining power in their negotiations for David Price - and then leak trade talks to the press so the Price camp will catch wind. I can't see the Mets wanting to deal with that.

Another idea might seem like a step back but Wheeler for a package that includes Rafael Devers would interest me. Devers is still 1-2 years away most likely but is now blocked by Panda (seriously). Of course, the Sox will need assurance that Wheeler is healthy before trading someone with Devers' stature.

Either way, if I was Sandy Alderson, I'm taking every single one of my arms to Port St Lucie with me come February. Re-sign Cespedes would mean I don't have to make a deal with any of my aces. If I can't resign Cespedes, I go the Desmond/Span/Parra route. Then hope that Rafael Montero regains his health and velocity and use him at the deadline to find a bat.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yankees:

PRICE (please!!)
Tanaka
Pineda
Eovaldi
Severino

Nova (trade?)
Sabathia (long relief?)

If David Price isn't the Yankees #1 target, then they need to bow out of free agency altogether. He's attractive for the same reasons that he's attractive to the Jays, Sox and even O's: he can pitch in the AL East and doesn't cost a draft pick. If the Yanks offered 7 yrs/$180M, that's a good start. Opt out after 3 and then let him walk. The bidding will be fierce and all of the big market clubs with money will surely kick the tires.

Samardjza is of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever. He can't pitch in the AL and I view his lack of innings as a detriment, not a value. He's not as refined a pitcher to pitch in the AL East's hitter parks (and the sandbox in the Bronx!). It's not like he's Eovaldi and has youth on his side either. Complete PASS.

If the Mets inexplicably pass on Cespedes, then I'd give him 5 yrs in a heartbeat. Again, no loss of draft pick to sign him. Can he play RF? With an arm like that and not much room to cover, he'll lead the AL in OF assists most seasons.

Here's an out-of-the-box idea: reach out to Alfredo Despaigne's camp to see if he is eligible for a MLB contract and if he's interested. Would plug right in at RF, as serious power in the Jose Abreu sphere, and would be cheaper than Cespedes. He's a bit volatile, not unlike Puig, but he's older too so maybe he'll come in a bit more mature than Puig.

Reaction Score
What about Betts and Owens for Syndergaard? Owens in the AL will peak at 3 but maybe 4-5. In the NL I think he might peak as a #2 but I think in the NL he could definitely be at least a #3 considering the lineups in that league.

Reaction Score
If the Mets inexplicably pass on Cespedes, then I'd give him 5 yrs in a heartbeat. Again, no loss of draft pick to sign him. Can he play RF? With an arm like that and not much room to cover, he'll lead the AL in OF assists most seasons.

I wouldn't. Why block Aaron Judge with another monster contract that will be an awful in a few years. He also doesn't want to play RF.

Reaction Score
What about Betts and Owens for Syndergaard? Owens in the AL will peak at 3 but maybe 4-5. In the NL I think he might peak as a #2 but I think in the NL he could definitely be at least a #3 considering the lineups in that league.

Owens won't help make the happen. How about Bradley for Wheeler?

Reaction Score
I'm not a huge Wheeler fan, especially with him undergoing TJ surgery.

Reaction Score
Thor for Betts is a complete non-starter for me if I'm Sandy Alderson. If the Sox lowered their price down to, say, Zach Wheeler, then we can talk.
If Dombrowski traded Bogaerts or Betts for Wheeler, he should be fired before the fax makes it to the commissioners office.

Reaction Score
I don't like any of the proposed trades for the Red Sox. To trade a potential all-star outfielder for a young starting pitcher is too risky IMHO. Young pitchers have a tendency to get hurt and disappear forever. If the Sox traded Mookie for a solid starting pitcher they would just have a hole somewhere else. I think the only way for them to build a contender is by buying a couple of arms. Any one of Price, Cueto, Zimmermann or Samardzija would be a good start.

Reaction Score
I am obviously Mets biased, but I'm shocked to hear Sox fans wouldn't give up Mookie Betts for Syndergaard. I would cry myself to sleep if the Mets ever made that deal.

The only Mets starter I'd feel comfortable dealing is Harvey and that's only because a) he's closest to being a free agent and b) Boras is his agent. I don't think there's any way the Mets can keep him long term and keep a good nucleus of the rest of their young staff as well. And I'd want the talks to start with Harvey for Bogaerts if the Sox were interested. Not Mookie Betts.

Dooley

Reaction Score
If Dombrowski traded Bogaerts or Betts for Wheeler, he should be fired before the fax makes it to the commissioners office.

Dombrowski shouldn't have been hired in the first place, but that's a different argument for a different thread. How good would Alex Antopolous look in the Sox front office right now?

I would agree with your point - which makes a deal between the two clubs extremely difficult. There is no world that a Thor for Betts deal straight up makes any sense for the Mets, especially since Conforto is here and Nimmo is close. Unless, of course, the Mets shifted him back to 2B. But even then, you have Rosario and Cecchini are close. If both make the big club, one will have to shift to 3B or 2B. Owens is of no interest - the Mets already have a stable of young, cost controlled arms. If they're going to deal a pitcher, they need to hit a home run (literally!). On the other side, Wheeler is too risky to deal a guy with the potential of Betts or Bogaerts. They'll need to get an upgrade...it's there that there would need to be some negotiation. Do the Mets upgrade to Harvey if the Sox made it a 2 for 1? Or pick 1 and add Devers and someone like, say, Margot? That's an offer I would strongly consider if I'm Sandy Alderson.

If you poll Mets fans, I think the majority would want the Mets to trade Harvey above all of the other arms. He would return a great haul. Personally, I have said I wouldn't trade any of the arms. I like the quality of depth. There isn't a team in baseball that can put anything close out on the mound as Steven Matz or Thor or Zach Wheeler (when healthy) on the club's 3rd or 4th or 5th day. I'd prefer that they take all their pitchers to spring training and see what shakes out. One is bound to get hurt - that's what pitchers do. You develop 1 - 4, wait on Wheeler and Montero to get healthy and see if they can contribute come June. Attack the bullpen (O'Day, Soria, Bastardo, etc) to shrink games and lessen the stress on IP limits. Re-sign Cespedes or go the Span/Parra route. Win the NL East for a decade with that level of pitching quality.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am obviously Mets biased, but I'm shocked to hear Sox fans wouldn't give up Mookie Betts for Syndergaard. I would cry myself to sleep if the Mets ever made that deal.

The only Mets starter I'd feel comfortable dealing is Harvey and that's only because a) he's closest to being a free agent and b) Boras is his agent. I don't think there's any way the Mets can keep him long term and keep a good nucleus of the rest of their young staff as well. And I'd want the talks to start with Harvey for Bogaerts if the Sox were interested. Not Mookie Betts.
Cosign this 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69