Hoping Tennessee Wins | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hoping Tennessee Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
If you're a Tennessee fan, at what point can you conclude that Holly isn't the answer? Or did Pat leave the cupboard bare?

About the same time we start worrying about what message boards posters say.

Reaction Score
If you're a Tennessee fan, at what point can you conclude that Holly isn't the answer? Or did Pat leave the cupboard bare?
Didn't Holly win 30 games this year? Hasn't Tenn won at least a share of the SEC title the last few years? Pat's not coming back. And neither is the era in which she spent most of her time coaching and building her program. We will have the same issue when Geno leaves. There's a reason there will only ever be one Pat and one Geno. Following a coaching legend is difficult. The second coach that follows a legend has it much easier.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Well we all know Holly hasn't proven much...but I can't say we lost because of her tonight. We just can't shoot...at all...period...the end. We need consistent shooters.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Didn't Holly win 30 games this year? Hasn't Tenn won at least a share of the SEC title the last few years? Pat's not coming back. And neither is the era in which she spent most of her time coaching and building her program. We will have the same issue when Geno leaves. There's a reason there will only ever be one Pat and one Geno. Following a coaching legend is difficult. The second coach that follows a legend has it much easier.

Also coached to two Elite Eights and one Sweet 16 in three years

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What? Holly and Tennessee had a nice little run this year, bless their souls.

Reaction Score
Not to mention Tenn had injury issues. What was Maryland's excuse?

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
About the same time we start worrying about what message boards posters say.
And yet you're here responding to what message board posters say...you must see the irony in that, no?

Last edited:

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
And yet your here responding to what message board posters say...you must see the irony in that, no?

They asked a question so I answered. Answering the question, and caring about the question, are two different things.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UTenn is beating UConn badly in one area tonight, as the VolNation game thread runs to 657 responses and 44 pages (and growing) to the 300 responses on the BY's UConn-Dayton thread. Granted the messages seem to rehash the same issues over and over (Can Holly coach? Can anyone shoot? Have you ever seen worse refs?) and some appear to be more concerned about unkind discussions of another poster's mental condition, but that's still an impressive final blast for the Vol fans in a losing cause tonight. Even if it's been 7 years without an FF during a time of big recruiting success, clearly hope springs eternal for Vol fans and they are hanging on giving their support to their "Ladies."

Reaction Score

I am not here to bust on Tennessee. I have nothing against them, aside from the major problem everyone has with their attempt to take our program down a decade ago..... I really like the posters from there who contribute to the forum here...... but everyone, Holly has done a poor job. I hear many stick up for her..... but in 4 yrs as head coach or de facto head coach, she has zero wins over teams better than her's...... I guess victory over a weak Stanford team this year would be her best win..... and to hear Deb Antonelli yap on Saturday and again tonight about how it is tough to replicate what Pat did and it may not be possible to do so in today's game..... that is a slam on Holly (even though not meant that way) .... Geno has surpassed Pat's major accomplishments..... does Deb mean that Geno CAN do it, but Holly CANNOT? I do not know..... couldn't believe she said those words on Saturday, but heard the same thing tonight.....

The thing that worries me if I am a Lady Vols fan is..... and Holly is included in this..... The bar has been lowered so much..... still the talk is how tough the transition from Pat is..... and though 30 years at Pat's side and 4 in the driver's seat..... it is still tough for her to replace a legend..... not to use our program as an example, but Holly should expect more from her players..... playing every possession, fighting for the 50/50 balls etc..... she should get some coaching help offensively..... because by her own admission she does not focus on offense..... it is all about defense and rebounding..... Pat's mantra..... but Pat had the fire in the belly..... Holly seems to be rah rah.... the expectation level must be raised...... stop playing down to your competition...... you have athletes with big bonafides on the team... utilize them, and coach them!!!!

Reaction Score
UTenn is beating UConn badly in one area tonight, as the VolNation game thread runs to 657 responses and 44 pages (and growing) to the 300 responses on the BY's UConn-Dayton thread. Granted the messages seem to rehash the same issues over and over (Can Holly coach? Can anyone shoot? Have you ever seen worse refs?) and some appear to be more concerned about unkind discussions of another poster's mental condition, but that's still an impressive final blast for the Vol fans in a losing cause tonight. Even if it's been 7 years without an FF during a time of big recruiting success, clearly hope springs eternal for Vol fans and they are hanging on giving their support to their "Ladies."

Yes you know what is funny..... many Tenn posts tonight say Maryland shot the lights out while Tennessee was having trouble with their shooting.... I just went to the box score..... MD shot 39 percent and Lady Vols shot 32. Actual baskets Tennessee actually had 1 more made field goal.......

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I've got 3 nosebleed(303) tickets for the championship game to sell for face value. I was able to get lower bowl tix last week for the Game. PM me if you are interested....they may be the only ones left:rolleyes:
Thanks, but there are tons of tickets. I already have a ticket and am sitting in the lower level and I know tons of Gamecock fans who have already gotten tickets.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Yes you know what is funny..... many Tenn posts tonight say Maryland shot the lights out while Tennessee was having trouble with their shooting.... I just went to the box score..... MD shot 39 percent and Lady Vols shot 32. Actual baskets Tennessee actually had 1 more made field goal..

Not sure the posts you are talking about but the majority of the ones I read (and was a part of) talked about how bad BOTH teams were offensively...that all one team needed to do was heat up for a couple of minutes to take control, etc etc. I didn't see where anyone said MD was shooting lights out as you say. I was surprised we held their guards in check for as long as we did to be honest. We just had absolutely no posts, especially who could guard Jones 1-on-1...Graves, being the small 4 she is and Burdick being the 3 she is really tried, but they couldn't get it done so we had to start helping and that left some of their guards open and they finally were able to hit a few. I dunno what else we could have done on the defensive side...now offensively...that's a whole different story :-/

Reaction Score
Eh, it's hard for me to project my hostility onto the current team. Everyone is so far removed from the events of 2006, Holly and these players had no influence on the bitterness of the history.

Agree Sally. I thought by now people would undertsand that hate, revenge, etc. hurts the giver much more than the reciever. But some stubborn souls have never heard of burying the hatchet. I feel sorry for these. I look forward to the day we can rise above this. C'mon folks, you can do it.

Reaction Score
You know, I keep reading how HUGE the ratings will be for UConn Tenn if that matchup comes about I really wonder.... the nostalgia folks, of which I am one, will certainly watch, but wasn't Tenn UC so long ago, and wasn't the allure primarily Geno vs Pat? If it happens it will be interesting how many folks watch. You know ESPN will hype it incredibly, but how many viewers will that filter down into?

I agree. One of the most interesting parts of that rivalry was Pat vs. Geno. Geno vs. Holly? Not so much.

I'd watch it but it wouldn't be the same.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge hockey fan. My team the Boston Bruins has a bitter rivalry with the Montreal Canadiens. It's been going on for 90 years now. As a Bruins fan I hate the Canadiens with the intensity of a thousand exploding suns. Bruins fans have a saying- we cheer for the Bruins and anyone playing Montreal.

I feel the same way about Tennessee although the intensity isn't there anymore. Ever since Pat went down with dementia I just can't hate them like I used to. I can't explain it.

But I'll never cheer for them against anyone else. There are some lines I just cant cross.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How can you not relish the thought of playing Tennessee? Rooting for the Lady Vols to make the Final 4 :) :)
Very simple. They're Tennessee. I want them to lose every single game they ever play. Badly.

I really question those people's Husky fandom, who wish for a TN win. That's just not right. And to wish for a TN to get them to the FF? Disgusting! Revolting!

IF you are a true UCONN WBB fan, you should never (EVER) root for TN to win ANY game. Certainly not a game that would get them a FF appearance. You should be ashamed.

tumblr_m76vcyIMA11rziwwco1_400.gif

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I'm a huge hockey fan. My team the Boston Bruins has a bitter rivalry with the Montreal Canadiens. It's been going on for 90 years now. As a Bruins fan I hate the Canadiens with the intensity of a thousand exploding suns. Bruins fans have a saying- we cheer for the Bruins and anyone playing Montreal.

I feel the same way about Tennessee although the intensity isn't there anymore. Ever since Pat went down with dementia I just can't hate them like I used to. I can't explain it.

But I'll never cheer for them against anyone else. There are some lines I just cant cross.
So Beemer, if I invite you to dinner with Guy LeFleur would you show up?

Reaction Score
So Beemer, if I invite you to dinner with Guy LeFleur would you show up?

Yes if only to tell him to FOAD . He caused my Bruins much pain back in the day. :mad:

I will tell you this- the only Montreal players I've ever respected are the late Jean Belliveau and Saku Koivu. Talk about two pearls cast before swine....

Reaction Score
Not sure the posts you are talking about but the majority of the ones I read (and was a part of) talked about how bad BOTH teams were offensively...that all one team needed to do was heat up for a couple of minutes to take control, etc etc. I didn't see where anyone said MD was shooting lights out as you say. I was surprised we held their guards in check for as long as we did to be honest. We just had absolutely no posts, especially who could guard Jones 1-on-1...Graves, being the small 4 she is and Burdick being the 3 she is really tried, but they couldn't get it done so we had to start helping and that left some of their guards open and they finally were able to hit a few. I dunno what else we could have done on the defensive side...now offensively...that's a whole different story :-/

Hi VFLfan..... That was from quick scan of Volnation..... and "shoot the lights out" was a phrase I used in hyperbolic fashion, which I normally do not do..... but read several posts as to how MD's shots were falling, and Tennessee could hit few shots.... and I thought upon glance of box score that 32% and 39% were pretty comparable..... also..... I get tired of hearing about the injuries..... yes yes, UT has had unfortunate luck with injuries, but I have ALWAYS thought that with their existing roster, they STILL should win vs. their competition..... Boise ST, Pitt and Gonzaga shouldn't have been so close..... I read another poster saying how many McDonalds All Americans are on the TN roster..... and I checked.....on active roster, McD AA's include Burdick, Graves, Massengale, Middleton, Nared, and Reynolds.... for MD, Mincy, Brown, and Howard..... that is 6 to 3..... and while we all know that high school prowess does not always translate to college..... with a strong roster like Tennessee has, .......even with injuries....... to plead poor mouth to me seems pretty lame.....

Having said this, I know full well that Tenn fan base is just that,..... fanatic, they are spirited..... and you can read about the injuries, the shooting, the refs.... etc.... I am sure we are guilty of some of the same..... bottom line is I have little faith - as a WCBB fan - in Holly's ability to lead, motivate, and coach the troops to any great effectiveness..... and think you guys need a change..... I read one of Cierra Burdick's comments at the presser last night after the game..... the question was on some function of the game..... her response was to the effect that she was just going to have to accept that it was what it was, and she would have to take it and "learn from it". She is a senior! There is no more learning!...... I hope a better fate for the roster, that the experience Cierra has had there will be more fruitful in terms of results for the underlings coming up in the program.......

From all accounts Craig is a good coach..... I know Ezry was brought in from KY to elevate recruiting among other things..... It is long overdue (in my opinion) that Holly take the reins of this team..... get coaching help if necessary on the offensive side of the ball, and take stock in the rich resources she has right in front of her eyes

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Rise above this? Tennessee doesn't deserve the good will. I find your sanctimony offensive.
Couldn't agree more. While I feel badly for the players crying at the presser, as a program, and most of the fan base, Tennessee is the most distasteful team in WCBB. I realize that was not a perfectly phrased sentence, but you get the gist.

Maybe some fans can forgive and forget, or have already forgotten, but what Pat and the Tenn. administration tried to do to Geno and UCONN bears neither goodwill nor forgiveness. You forgive someone when they are sorry. And apologize. And mean it. Tennessee fans still refer to UCONN as "UCheat". They have horrible things to say about Geno (they refer to him as "Weno" and post pictures of him patting Mulkey's ass and call him a molester or worse). They show Geno zero respect and knock his accomplishments as tainted. And neither Pat, nor Holly, nor anyone at Tennessee apologized to Geno or UCONN for the lies they spread and what they tried to do to us.

So yeah. Every time Tennessee loses, it feels like Christmas. Even though the teams have not played for years, I don't know of another fan base that has so much dislike for the other than UCONN and Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I think part of being a great coach is knowing what your shortcomings are and hiring people who can make up for them. IMO Holly Warlick should not be afraid to bring in help for those areas she struggles to coach. It would make her team better and her job easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom