Hope Phillies go 0-162 this year | The Boneyard

Hope Phillies go 0-162 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just learned this today, but I guess its an open secret that nearly all college juniors who are likely to be drafted have people who directly negotiate with baseball management. While its against NCAA rules for an athlete to have someone representing them in negotiations with a pro team, the NCAA has always looked away (for baseball), and it has been an accepted practice for years.

Two Phillies' middle round picks declined to signlast summer, deciding to play their senior year of college. In response, the Phillies scurried to the NCAA to tattle on these guys.

What a classless organIzation.

Reaction Score
Just learned this today, but I guess its an open secret that nearly all college juniors who are likely to be drafted have people who directly negotiate with baseball management. While its against NCAA rules for an athlete to have someone representing them in negotiations with a pro team, the NCAA has always looked away (for baseball), and it has been an accepted practice for years.

Two Phillies' middle round picks declined to signlast summer, deciding to play their senior year of college. In response, the Phillies scurried to the NCAA to tattle on these guys.

What a classless organIzation.
It is against the rules to sign with an agent and come back for your senior season but I don't know about the rest. Can a father or family member negotiate on the players behalf ?Varitek is one player who was drafted his junior year, didn't like the offer and returned to GA Tech for his senior year.
The Phillies hurt themselves by blowing the whistle. The players can get around it by having an agent tell them what they think they can get.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kinsler stole your line, Frosty.

Reaction Score
I live near Philly. The Phillies aren't saying much about this, but the impression that I get from what they have said is that this was done by a "rogue" employee and that management has dealt with it.

Whoever did it should not be working in baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom