HOPE AJA WAS WATCHING | Page 2 | The Boneyard

HOPE AJA WAS WATCHING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There is nothing more UConn can do. The Wilsons enjoyed their visit to UConn a lot. A'ja played with MoJeff Tuck and Breanna on team USA. Breanna and A'ja are friends now and A'js said she wants to play like Breanna. As far as UConn goes. They don't have to sell themselves...they are UConn and there is no program out there that compares to UConn. So whats left. A decision by A'ja. Her dad Roscoe said if it comes down to BB its UConn. A'ja said she wanted to play in front of big womens BB crowds not football crowds and she wants to win NC. Well at other schools its a work in process and at UConn its guaranteed. Big difference. So we can only wait. Our trouncing of Duke is a big step to getting number 9. There is no doubt in anybodys mind who is the best and it aint even close. UConn is the standard both on and off the court. The respect is universal. You would think what more would a kid want? Well not everybody thinks like UConn fans so lets be patient and wait and see.

Reaction Score
There is nothing more UConn can do. The Wilsons enjoyed their visit to UConn a lot. A'ja played with MoJeff Tuck and Breanna on team USA. Breanna and A'ja are friends now and A'js said she wants to play like Breanna. As far as UConn goes. They don't have to sell themselves...they are UConn and there is no program out there that compares to UConn. So whats left. A decision by A'ja. Her dad Roscoe said if it comes down to BB its UConn. A'ja said she wanted to play in front of big womens BB crowds not football crowds and she wants to win NC. Well at other schools its a work in process and at UConn its guaranteed. Big difference. So we can only wait. Our trouncing of Duke is a big step to getting number 9. There is no doubt in anybodys mind who is the best and it aint even close. UConn is the standard both on and off the court. The respect is universal. You would think what more would a kid want? Well not everybody thinks like UConn fans so lets be patient and wait and see.
And even fewer UConn fans think like TonyC. ;^) You're one of a kind.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Hoopgurls had Stefani ranked #39 in her class. They had Elizabeth Williams ranked #2. Which is now the better player and why? It's a no-brainer. If she is satisfied with herself the way she is, like, say, DeShields, then Carolina (either) would be finah. If she wants to be all that she can be, Like Stef, that is a different matter.

I think Hoopgurlz, in the past, and Prospects Nation currently, (note both had Chris Hansen as one of the lead raters) use the Nike Nationals(NN), in N. Augusta, SC as a big part of the final, or almost final rating for each class. Dolsen was not that spectacular at the 2009 NN. Williams and Chelsea Grey were, IMO.
I was at that years NN and I told my friend that Dolson was great when you could get her the ball at the low post. But I also said she needed work on the other 90% of the floor. IMO she is the most turned around player that I have seen in the past 5 years, from what I saw in 2009 to now. Credit her for her determination and credit GA and staff for teaching, pushing, coaching, etc., to get there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well put Tony, well put. (even the spelling ;))

Reaction Score
IMO, she will not be coming to CT next year. I think Geno was speaking to her in his post game comments.........UCONN is not for every player and Aja will be more comfortable in SC or GA. Where expectations are low, no press, no National TV games.........
And also, how dare you have an opinion on Boneyard, that is out of step... Shame... and yes, I still think she is going to S C

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
And also, how dare you have an opinion on Boneyard, that is out of step... Shame... and yes, I still think she is going to S C
His opinion was insulting to the player and unsubstantiated by anything.

He is welcome to his opinion, as am I. You are the only one taking about censoring.

At least you are consistent.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I hope Aja Wilson was watching last night. I also hope she was watching Stephanie closely and observing her great growth while at Uconn. If she comes to Uconn and is even close to Stephanie's desire and drive, it will be a pleasure to watch her. I also hope she realizes what team basketball is and wants to be part of a TRUE TEAM. She would also have probably the best basketabll coach at any level ,men or women.
Go Huskies!
I know this thread is about Wilson but you're kidding yourself if you think geno is the best coach in the country. Best in Wcbb but come on

Reaction Score
I know this thread is about Wilson but you're kidding yourself if you think geno is the best coach in the country. Best in Wcbb but come on

Of current coaches (men's or women's bball), I'd put him in the top 5. The way he consistently develops good players into dominant stars still amazes me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why not?
This shouldn't have to be explaind. You can't compare the men's and woman's game
Of current coaches (men's or women's bball), I'd put him in the top 5. The way he consistently develops good players into dominant stars still amazes me.
agree with the second part

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This shouldn't have to be explaind. You can't compare the men's and woman's game

Yeah, it's pretty arbitrary. Very different games. Bill Belicheck is one of the best coaches I've ever seen, but he doesn't rank in the Top 50 in the NBA.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Why are people comparing EW to SD ranking coming out of HS ? They are not even in the same class.
A better comparison as far as development would be EW vs Kiah Stokes, and I think the jury is still out
on that one. They are pretty similar in style and demeanor.
Stef was ranked 39th in her class, Kiah 42nd in hers. EW was, of course, ranked #2 in Kiah's class.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A'ja had a big game today (30 pts, 24 rebs) in front of coaches from 3 of her final 4 schools. Only UConn coaches missing, a day after soundly defeating the #2 team in the country on national TV.

http://www.beachballclassic.com/2013/12/game08/

Geno said on his radio show thurs night that he stayed south after the Duke game to attend a tournament at Myrtle Beach. So he do go watch A'ja play. A'ja's team lost in the tournament thurs although she scored 40 points.

Reaction Score
Count on it. As for me, I don't know, having no info to support a prognostication.
What, count on her playing for South Carolina or count on you reminding him next Spring????

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Many men's college and pro coaches, active and retired have called Geno the best. It isn't just a Boneyard opinion. Tom Izzo and Jeff Van Gundy among them. Charles Barkley, also, speaks of Geno with the highest praise. Kay Fagan of USA Basketball said largely the same thing. Bobby Knight has, also, held Geno in his highest praise.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Everybody is entitled to their opinion and what they think. IMO Geno is the best. To take a program from where UConn was and build what he has built in a womens sport which does not get the attention that mens sports do and develop many of his players to become what they've become well that unparalled. If Geno were at a big named school like a Duke Stanford ND Texas he would have that name behind him. He didn't. He had UConn and playing in a gym that was more like a barn with no creditability no name nothing. What he has built, and how he has done it with class and standards second to no one well that's an achievement that many cant compromise.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Many men's college and pro coaches, active and retired have called Geno the best. It isn't just a Boneyard opinion. Tom Izzo and Jeff Van Gundy among them. Charles Barkley, also, speaks of Geno with the highest praise. Kay Fagan of USA Basketball said largely the same thing. Bobby Knight has, also, held Geno in his highest praise.
I hold him in high praise, he the best coach in Wcbb by a large margine. However men's basketball is so much harder to coach, not to mention the expectations, it's in another ballpark

Reaction Score
I hold him in high praise, he the best coach in Wcbb by a large margine. However men's basketball is so much harder to coach, not to mention the expectations, it's in another ballpark
I think this is why UCONN has risen to the top. Geno HAS the highest expectations of his teams and he demands absolute effort. Just like the best men's coaches.

Reaction Score
I have never coached but it seems it would be easier to coach players that had better prior coaching and have better skills. There are many more men playing basketball and most schools will have men's teams but not field a women's team. There are certainly many more men playing at the parks than women. To get a scholarship, the men have to compete against a much larger group and therefore must be much better by comparison. Maybe only the top .01% men make it where the top 1% of the women make it. Those are just made up numbers to make a point, not to represent any study. So, in my opinion it would be much easier to coach players that have already had better coaching, more experience and better all around skills.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has said that one reason he would not take on men's basketball is that so many of them are uncoachable; the word "pukes" was associated with that thought ( a label he also pinned to many of the men's coaches). These players come to college already referring to themselves in the third person. The early entry program to the NBA has only made matters worse. The number of unwatchable men's college games has increased substantially. So, yeah, you cannot compare the men's and women's games ... thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom