High Post | The Boneyard

High Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The high post was a material and effective part of our offense last year. SD was outstanding due to her range and thus ability to draw out the defender. This opened up the lane for the athletic TBS and others to take advantage of SD's superior floor vision. Its difficult to see Kia in that role unless she develops a long range shot and the confidence to use it. It would probably be a waste of TBS's athleticism to have her camp out up top except for occasional designed plays. If that is the case, do you think Geno will go to more of a low post offense with the bigs to take advantage of Kia's pick and screen skills?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The high post was a material and effective part of our offense last year. SD was outstanding due to her range and thus ability to draw out the defender. This opened up the lane for the athletic TBS and others to take advantage of SD's superior floor vision. Its difficult to see Kia in that role unless she develops a long range shot and the confidence to use it. It would probably be a waste of TBS's athleticism to have her camp out up top except for occasional designed plays. If that is the case, do you think Geno will go to more of a low post offense with the bigs to take advantage of Kia's pick and screen skills?

The high post is very popular in Colorado.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

No doubt Stef was effective w/ her vision (135 assists) and shooting (207 made baskets). Interestingly, Dolson also had 103 turnovers, tops on the team. When you try to make the tough pass, that will happen. Kiah will most likely have fewer assists and fewer turnovers. Her strength is definitely rebounding, so IMO Geno will have her in position to rebound and put back easy lay ups. So, some high post, mostly low.

But this year's Huskies have better perimeter shooting. KML is healthy, Stewie and MoJeff older, Chong & Tuck can hit 3's and some rookies who can flat out shoot the nets on fire. Geno will do what he always does....tweak and adjust the offense to take advantage of what UConn does well and what opponents can't stop.... :)

Go Huskies..!!!

G

genosguy

I took particular notice of Kiah over the last 2 seasons. I always, and still do, think of her as a big plus for UConn. Ifeel she was under appreciated and underrated. Played at less than her potential because she was underappreciated. Now as far as the longer range shot--she has used that albeit rarely with success. At the end of the past year, during the NCAA, as she played more was given more opportunities, she scored under the basket. SHE IS NOT just a REBOUNDER. Although she is among the best in college at it. I think Geno will not go as often to the two post inside as he did but when he feels it will be effective he will double down with Kiah and Stewart , maybe tripple with KML she came into her own this year as an effective rebounder and post scorer. I don t buy into too much from the Freshmen--but have hopes one or two will blossom into something big in their first year. Geno has a penchant to bring Freshman along slowly--and it has worked for him. Naples guy (Bill is it?) I appreciate your expertise and opinions. This is my opinion--after playing and watching for 40 plus years. If there is one thing I know about GENO is heĺl do what is best with his players as he see it--regardless of how often I tell him otherwise.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And the fact remains that if the opponents can't score, they can't win.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Notre Dame ran some high post plays in the championship game to no avail
as UConn defenders just backed off and left the ND center
(if I recall correctly Ariel Braker) mighty confused, not wanting to take the offered
mid-range jumper and unwilling to execute my favorite reaction to that defense…rumble to the hoop.

If Geno uses Kiah in the high post, I'll bet he works on that option for her.

Reaction Score
I think it's likely that Geno will play to Kiah's strengths, and I'm thinking it's not high post play. Kiah, IMHO, needs to focus on what she can do well -- rebounds, putbacks, etc. and the team can run other plays to replace the high post. I like Kiah, I really do, but while I can see her doing well this year with things she knows how to do, I just think the expectations for her to master new skills are way too high and may be unfair to her. A fine year for her, IMHO, will be to be able to replace the starting center, get a bunch of rebounds and approach 10 ppg. Those points are not going to come from 20 feet out, I suspect.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope she can do all the things we saw her do at the end of the season AND add a whole new set of tricks to her repertoire. I just don't think it's likely.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Prediction: Kiah will be used mainly in the way that Tina Charles was used -- primarily at the low post. The difference is that the rest of the team won't be passing into her and expecting her to score on her defender -- that is not her strength. They may start the offense in a "5-high" formation, quite possibly with KML (sometimes Stewie) handling the ball and making the initial pass. When the defense becomes preoccupied with stopping KML and Stewie (not to mention Moriah and her sidekick-to-be-determined), Kiah can cut to the basket for a layup, or then pass back out to someone open. If a defender decides to build a campsite under the hoop, Kiah can either screen her out of the way or make a short jumper from 8-10 feet to beat her.

The important thing is for Kiah to make sure she isn't boxed out when someone else's shot goes up, so she can get those putbacks and rebounds for an offensive restart.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
is that you know, like the high road?

Reaction Score
The important thing is for Kiah to make sure she isn't boxed out when someone else's shot goes up, so she can get those putbacks and rebounds for an offensive restart.
Both Kiah and Stewie have the length to go over most people without fouling. Not worried at all.

Reaction Score
No doubt Stef was effective w/ her vision (135 assists) and shooting (207 made baskets). Interestingly, Dolson also had 103 turnovers, tops on the team. When you try to make the tough pass, that will happen. Kiah will most likely have fewer assists and fewer turnovers. Her strength is definitely rebounding, so IMO Geno will have her in position to rebound and put back easy lay ups. So, some high post, mostly low.

But this year's Huskies have better perimeter shooting. KML is healthy, Stewie and MoJeff older, Chong & Tuck can hit 3's and some rookies who can flat out shoot the nets on fire. Geno will do what he always does....tweak and adjust the offense to take advantage of what UConn does well and what opponents can't stop.... :)

Go Huskies..!!!
You made a point about the likely improvement in perimeter shooting. I think that'll really enhance how much interior scoring we get because when defenses start cheating a little or are more wary of the outside shooting, it'll allow more penetration and more chippee's for Kia.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Prediction: Kiah will be used mainly in the way that Tina Charles was used -- primarily at the low post. The difference is that the rest of the team won't be passing into her and expecting her to score on her defender -- that is not her strength. They may start the offense in a "5-high" formation, quite possibly with KML (sometimes Stewie) handling the ball and making the initial pass. When the defense becomes preoccupied with stopping KML and Stewie (not to mention Moriah and her sidekick-to-be-determined), Kiah can cut to the basket for a layup, or then pass back out to someone open. If a defender decides to build a campsite under the hoop, Kiah can either screen her out of the way or make a short jumper from 8-10 feet to beat her.

you hit on a lot of things that are great about Kiah. One other thing about her that I noticed is based on her athleticism - she's more athletic than probably any other post player covering her. If she seals her defender effectively, a bullet pass to her and a quick spin move utilizing her superior athleticism could result in many easy layups.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Thinking further about how (if at all) UConn can run an offense that resembles what they have done in the last few years without a big to make passes as Stef did, it occurs to me that the answer may be ... Morgan Tuck!

Ask yourself -- who is the best returning passer on the roster (not counting Moriah, who is definitely not going to be in the high post)? Certainly not Kiah, maybe Stewie or KML. But really, the best passer among the bigs is probably Morgan -- watch again her outstanding performance in the 2013 Final Four against Notre Dame if you need to be convinced. She has the same grasp of the offense as Stef did, and the court vision and athleticism to make tough passses that require exact timing.

If she can do that reliably, she will earn a lot of minutes from Geno.

Reaction Score
Kiah should be among the leaders in the WCBB in blocks and rebounds this year...and probably the best adjusted for competition...think Bill Russell...with the combination of shooters and slashers that we can put on the floor, there is no defensive configuration that this offense isn't designed to destroy. If we continue to play UCONN defense, then I see a record for winning margin this year if mercy doesn't win out...and with the competition for playing time, that's probably not in the cards...

Reaction Score
PS...with the Trinity + Butler coming on board, the record may be very short-lived...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom