Herbst elected Chairman of AAC BOD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst elected Chairman of AAC BOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would rather Herbst chair this sh1tstorm than any of the other conference dreg Presidents. But I agree with Nostical's point ^ above...Herbst has been outstanding in leading UConn forward. I hope that we find a P5 home before she is offered something that would lure her away from us.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
If there is any possible way that this conference sniffs a 'P6' status, I have more confidence in Susan Herbst leading the charge than in Mike Aresco.

That said, here's to hoping that this won't be her charge for much longer...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is a bad sign. There is no way she wastes her time on something like this with her schedule unless she thought we would be here for a while and was trying to make the best of it.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
This is a bad sign. There is no way she wastes her time on something like this with her schedule unless she thought we would be here for a while and was trying to make the best of it.

No way. It is a big deal for her. She needs a crash course in college athletics so that she can make the right moves and decisions for UCONN. There is no better way to learn than to get involved.

On top of that, if we end up stuck here and get another terrible TV deal and it leaks out that she declined the opportunity to make a difference, you'll skewer her.

Reaction Score
I predict that in the very near future fans from UC, UCF, etc... will be cursing Herbst name and bad mouthing her for agreeing to chair the AAC BOD only to use the position as a tool to get UConn on an escape pod out of the AAC into the B1G (or ACC, or B12). Book it!

Reaction Score
Lol at anyone who believes this.
We were the ones who never jumped shipped and rode the Big East down to its grave. If you don't think we have an uncanny penchant for picking the wrong path and maintaining an irrational loyalty to it,boy, you have a selective memory. Only the gullible would believe that UConn was selected for any other reason than to make them more sticky to the conference. Its going to look really bad for her to be looking at CR strategies while leading the BoD.

Reaction Score
We were the ones who never jumped shipped and rode the Big East down to its grave. If you don't think we have an uncanny penchant for picking the wrong path and maintaining an irrational loyalty to it,boy, you have a selective memory. Only the gullible would believe that UConn was selected for any other reason than to make them more sticky to the conference. Its going to look really bad for her to be looking at CR strategies while leading the BoD.
What the duckk are you talking about?

UConn tried to jump ship a couple times, but failed to do so for numerous reasons (the old administration is mostly to blame, but the current one could've done some stuff better, too). They didn't stick with the Big East all the way through by choice.

And Susan accepting this position means absolutely nothing for conference realignment. If UConn were to (miraculously) get a P5 invite, she would simply step down. But why not try to have as much control over the current situation as possible?

Reaction Score
What the duckk are you talking about?

UConn tried to jump ship a couple times, but failed to do so for numerous reasons (the old administration is mostly to blame, but the current one could've done some stuff better, too). They didn't stick with the Big East all the way through by choice.

And Susan accepting this position means absolutely nothing for conference realignment. If UConn were to (miraculously) get a P5 invite, she would simply step down. But why not try to have as much control over the current situation as possible?
Do you understand that in that role she is open to lawsuits for tortious interference if she is out there undermining the conference. Further in that role she has duties of loyalty and fiduciary responsibilities?

Reaction Score
Do you understand that in that role she is open to lawsuits for tortious interference if she is out there undermining the conference. Further in that role she has duties of loyalty and fiduciary responsibilities?

Unless you're insinuating that UConn accepting an offer to leave the conference would be a breach of her duty (which it definitely wouldn't), then I don't know what bearing any of this has on her becoming the chairperson.

Reaction Score
Unless you're insinuating that UConn accepting an offer to leave the conference would be a breach of her duty (which it definitely wouldn't), then I don't know what bearing any of this has on her becoming the chairperson.
In actively soliciting or encouraging a new relationship which would cause a breach in the current conference agreement.

Reaction Score
In actively soliciting or encouraging a new relationship which would cause a breach in the current conference agreement.

If that's the case, then there are a lot of other people who should have been sued by now.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
A blot of people bitched about schools taking a leadership role in the OBE and then leaving soon after. I was one of them. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A blot of people bitched about schools taking a leadership role in the OBE and then leaving soon after. I was one of them. Now the shoe is on the other foot.
If we get out while she is serving in this capacity, I think that somehow I will be able to live with the bad feelings of those left behind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Her primary focus remains taking steps necessary to increase the value of the asset known as the University of Connecticut. She is far to savvy to agree to, or sign, anything that would preclude her from maintaining that focus. Nor, by the way, would any College CEO. She'll continue to put UCONN first and foremost. And, it's important to note we're the only State with a politician that sues Conferences/Colleges/College Presidents.

As an "Honorarium," it's a nice Resume entry. Nothing more, nothing less.

pj

Reaction Score

Presumably there's a contract immunizing her against such lawsuits. So if they have a beef, it will be with UConn, not with Susan Herbst.

Reaction Score
IIRC, the bulk of that criticism was directed at the Pitt president, who led the charge to reject ESPN's TV contract offer while secretly working on a deal with the ACC.

That's unethical at best and illegal at worst.

Reaction Score
My thought process is that she would not have accepted the position if an invite to another conference was likely imminent. Good sense would dictate not setting up a situation that would be very awkward. I feel this is another clue that the Huskies will be in the AAC for the immediate future. This however does not mean she doesn't keep trying to find UConn athletics a better conference. It just means a new home is not presently in the soon to happen stage.

I don't think she would have turned this down regardless of what was coming, and I think this because I've been paying attention to how other university presidents have acted in advance of realignment announcements.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Look these are 2 year posts, and she wouldn't turn it down because that would cause unnecessary turmoil without a new home firmly in hand.

Many conferences have already a predetermined order for which school president holds the position of chairman.

image.jpg

Reaction Score

Who cares what others think? Didn't seem to bother Pitt or the Ville, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom