Helmets? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Helmets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

Sorry, but no helmet with UCONN on it looks like it belongs with the above. Block C, UC interlock, some nice graphic like Sparty, Iowa or MI have (frankly I can't imagine what it would be, but the new Husky ain't it) or nothing, ala PSU and tOSU.

UCONN summons up the A10, and looks like it belongs in CUSA.

Reaction Score
It can go along with Illinois. If we keep this and start winning again, this helmet can fit in the B1G. Simplicity = majestic.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
At least Illinois put the entire name of the state on the helmet. That would be better than UConn if Connecticut wasn't so long.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Sorry, but no helmet with UCONN on it looks like it belongs with the above. Block C, UC interlock, some nice graphic like Sparty, Iowa or MI have (frankly I can't imagine what it would be, but the new Husky ain't it) or nothing, ala PSU and tOSU.

UCONN summons up the A10, and looks like it belongs in CUSA.

Five of the twelve teams have a single letter on the helmet (six, if you count two letters). Man!....if only we had a single letter that WE could use on the helmet!....oh, wait... ;)

Reaction Score
When it comes to cutting state names for marketing purposes, that obviously applies to Penn State, as well. The more I think about it, this is a perfect helmet for the B1G.

Don't forget Maryland. They'll be the ones looking like clowns. If this is the end of the "Call of the Wild" helmet, thank God it only lasted one year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I was poking around the UConn Shop online, looking for some new Football merchandise to waste my money on, and I came across this:

http://shop.uconnhuskies.com/COLLEG...hutt_UConn_Huskies_Full_Size_Authentic_Helmet

WTF- Please someone tell me this is just a screw-up, and not a real helmet for this year or something!?

UConn wears Riddell helmets so it's just the case of Schutt making something weird and hoping people buy it. Like this orange Oregon helmet: http://www.schuttsports.com/aspx/sport/ProductCatalog.aspx?id=269

Anyways, carry on with the monthly helmet-bashing thread, always a fun read...

Reaction Score
How about this Bugsy design? I also think this is a great look. A bit more exciting than the one originally posted here.

UConn_FB-helmet_concept2_zps113eb3ed.png
Lose the ears and just show slightly above the eyes and I like it. Similar to the lacrosse helmets, I believe. Those looked pretty cool

Reaction Score
The helmets we used last year were in many ways a perfect metaphor for last season...a disaster! I like the new one, assuming it is the new one. I'm not big on 2nd and 3rd helmets myself. You have one, its your identity. If you absolutley need one, go with a throwback of some kind. The white with the "C" shaped like a football maybe. As I've said before, I think this era in college football uniforms will be looked back on as the 1970s is in baseball uniforms. Just because new technology allowed teams to design mustard yellow uniforms with rainbow stripes didn't mean mustard yellow uniforms with rainbow stripes actually were a good idea. Same in college football today. Just because computer aided design allows helmets like Maryland's clown college design or our "call of the wild" catastrophe doesn't mean it was ever a good idea. This new one seems very clean, simple and straight forward. Very Bob Diaco. Best to be done with the last remnants of the Pasqualoni legacy.

Edit note:I don't know why the product produced by Grey Poupon, Guldens and a number of others and commonly used on hotdogs is getting edited down to "mus" but so goes the interweb I guess.

Reaction Score
UConn wears Riddell helmets so it's just the case of Schutt making something weird and hoping people buy it.
So UCONN is selling a helmet that isn't UCONN's helmet though its website? I'm skeptical. And given how hard Diaco is working to eliminate each and every vestige of the Pasqualoni era, in everything from the carpeting on the floors to the end of the stadium that the team warms up in, do you really think we won't see new uniforms this year, especially new helmets?

Reaction Score
UConn wears Riddell helmets so it's just the case of Schutt making something weird and hoping people buy it. Like this orange Oregon helmet: http://www.schuttsports.com/aspx/sport/ProductCatalog.aspx?id=269

To confirm from the ultimate source...

Kyle Muncy ‏@UConnTrademark 3m
@Santini35 That is just for the store. Riddell has an exclusive on the current design right now, so Schutt did those.

Reaction Score
We get it guys! Some of you don't like the helmets. I'm convinced that for a good number of posters, half of their total posts come from complaining about the helmets. Good thing we have yet another thread that has been turned into that.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Five of the twelve teams have a single letter on the helmet (six, if you count two letters). Man!....if only we had a single letter that WE could use on the helmet!....oh, wait... ;)
Cheezus Dan are we the only one who see it, or are we the two loons...?

Reaction Score
Cheezus Dan are we the only one who see it, or are we the two loons...?
Others see it, too. Problem is the school's leadership wants the school to be known as UConn, not Connecticut.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Others see it, too. Problem is the school's leadership wants the school to be known as UConn, not Connecticut.
Well, I was speaking tongue-in-cheek. As I look at your post, I notice that 2 letters in UConn stand out- why not just use them?

Reaction Score
Can we stop with all this helmet squawking. You guys sound like if the B1G said "we'll take UConn as long as they keep their current helmets" you'd still be complaining. Give it a rest. I have great faith in Susan, Warde and Diaco to choose the right design. If this is it. Fine. If they change it, that's ok, too. Just win!
Lots of folks whined about the new husky dog logo. Remember? Anyone still hating on the new Husky logo?

Reaction Score
I was talking to a friend of mine at the spring game about the helmets. He is a former player who still stays in touch with the program (he also gets 8 club seats a year for his business). He had a chance to talk with the rep who sells the helmets to UCONN. The rep told him 2 things:
1) The best way to do the current design is to paint it on. UCONN only has the budget for decals, so up close my friend says it looks like s*@t.
2) They don't have the budget for a 3rd uniform or another set of helmets right now.

Let's see what Diaco does with the helmet design...especially since they use decals which are easy to change. Maybe he takes the blue or white helmet and changes the decal...makes it the primary helmet, then makes the current decal design the alternate helmet.

Reaction Score
I was talking to a friend of mine at the spring game about the helmets. He is a former player who still stays in touch with the program (he also gets 8 club seats a year for his business). He had a chance to talk with the rep who sells the helmets to UCONN. The rep told him 2 things:
1) The best way to do the current design is to paint it on. UCONN only has the budget for decals, so up close my friend says it looks like s*@t.
2) They don't have the budget for a 3rd uniform or another set of helmets right now.

Let's see what Diaco does with the helmet design...especially since they use decals which are easy to change. Maybe he takes the blue or white helmet and changes the decal...makes it the primary helmet, then makes the current decal design the alternate helmet.
I have news for you, FD. the current design looks like s**^ because its a s**^ design. You could paint it on, glue it on, solder it on, carve it into stone, it would still look like s**^. And on top of that it is the symbol of one of the worst seasons since we upgraded the program. Get rid of it.

Reaction Score
I have news for you, FD. the current design looks like s* ^ because its a s* ^ design. You could paint it on, glue it on, solder it on, carve it into stone, it would still look like s* ^. And on top of that it is the symbol of one of the worst seasons since we upgraded the program. Get rid of it.
I never thought of it as the symbol you described above...good analogy. I want to see it go because It is another Pasqualoni tag to the program. They need a 3rd helmet/uniform design, for the regular every day helmet..they should have gone back to either UCONN on both sides or a logo on each side. As for the new logo..it has grown on me, and oh yeah I get a LOT compliments when I wear my new logo UCONN stuff in NYC.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love all of the people on the thread complaining about the people on the thread that are complaining. Which in itself should draw further complaints, so that we can have a death-spiral of complaining.

The bottom line is this: it's not like the people who are complaining about the design (myself included) are doing so without offering alternatives that they would love to see. That's called "marketing data." Some people pay good money for that. If the group that is vocal about disliking the helmets is large in number, the likelihood that the helmet gets changed is high. If not, the likelihood will be low. So if you're happy with the helmet, good for you. However, if you don't want to read people complaining about the helmet, perhaps you could skip to the next thread. We've got plenty of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom