HCPP, DEZ, 'Taking a knee' | Page 4 | The Boneyard

HCPP, DEZ, 'Taking a knee'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes the losing team plays high risk to the buzzer because it's their only shot at scoring in hockey duh. The winning team would happily hold pass the puck back and forth and play keep away for the last minute until the game ended. You don't see them just going all out sending all 5 skaters towards the other teams nets in hope for the empty netter. You take it if you can get it but priority number one is keeping possession of the puck and not ducking **** up and giving up the tying goal.

Do you think the defense in football isn't trying everything they can to get the ball back at the end of a game with their team losing? You go for every strip and interception you can. You blitz every play hoping to force an error. That's the equivalent of pulling your goalie while trailing in hockey, not running plays on offense to go for more points when you are winning with under a minute left.
Yes but when was the last team u saw a. Team be able to hold pass the pick duh. It can't happen because the game goes to the end. You guys can quote all the rules and logic I'm already aware of. But it's a lame sissy way to end a game. And this is a spartan sport.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My point is that two running plays/two kneels produces nearly identical winning outcome percentages. The fact that people posted the eagles giants video proves my point. Still using an example from 40 years ago because there are almost no more recent examples of it!

So you're trying to tell me no other running back has fumbled in 40 years? I'm skeptical.....but I'll take your word for it - this time.

Reaction Score
My point is that two running plays/two kneels produces nearly identical winning outcome percentages. The fact that people posted the eagles giants video proves my point. Still using an example from 40 years ago because there are almost no more recent examples of it!
Maybe because people were smart enough to learn from that mistake?

Reaction Score
Maybe because people were smart enough to learn from that mistake?

Not arguing its the better move. Just that the difference is so negligible as to be a waste of all your energy crapping on it. If you want a million things to bitch about GDL/PP try any number of the million things that I scream at him during the game: lack of play action aggression, terrible time out management, etc etc etc. This one is just petty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Not arguing its the better move. Just that the difference is so negligible as to be a waste of all your energy crapping on it. If you want a million things to bitch about GDL/PP try any number of the million things that I scream at him during the game: lack of play action aggression, terrible time out management, etc etc etc. This one is just petty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Fair enough. I am just elated to have the program where it is at now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
my point is there is excitement buzzer to buzzer in hockey. ...The only was they do that in football is if the v formation is illegal

And until the v formation becomes illegal it's stupid not to do it. I agree that it's a flaw in the game. But a flaw is OK. The only perfect sport is baseball and it's losing popularity.

Reaction Score
You do realize that this was a press conference, right? The beat writers don't get their own individual sit downs with the coaches. There isn't a back and forth in a press conference, you get called on by the moderator and then ask your question and get a response.

It isn't the job of the beat writer to try and shape the coach's opinion.
I didn't say it was the press' job to shap the coach's opinion. A follow up at a press conference isn't unheard of, and your "journalism rules" are completel fabricated, that was my point.

Reaction Score
in hockey they pull the goalie and play lights out till the end of a close game. Tell me which ending u prefer?M my argument is the play you have spent a week of your life protesting should not exist. You should like this it would have made your life easier.

The team that is ahead never pulls the goalie.

Reaction Score
I've both read, and written in, some quite insane discussions around here. Having set up that fallacy of appeal to knowledge......

I will go ahead now, and state that this entire ongoing, multiple thread, discussion about whether or not the UConn offensive unit on the field to end the game against Pittsburgh on 11/9/2012, after having completed the game clinching first down on an amazing throw and catch, should have then lined up in a 'victory' formation multiple times for C-QB only exchange to run the clock out, instead of executing C-QB-RB exchanges on a running plays to run the clock out......and how it's actually extended into the local sports media?

is most definitely the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen happen on this fan site to date.

I don't know how a future discussion topic will exceed this, but I'm sure, something inevitably will.

Reaction Score
I've both read, and written in, some quite insane discussions around here. Having set up that fallacy of appeal to knowledge......

I will go ahead now, and state that this entire ongoing, multiple thread, discussion about whether or not the UConn offensive unit on the field to end the game against Pittsburgh on 11/9/2012, after having completed the game clinching first down on an amazing throw and catch, should have then lined up in a 'victory' formation multiple times for C-QB only exchange to run the clock out, instead of executing C-QB-RB exchanges on a running plays to run the clock out......and how it's actually extended into the local sports media?

is most definitely the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen happen on this fan site to date.

I don't know how a future discussion topic will exceed this, but I'm sure, something inevitably will.

The most ridiculous part is that some people can't seem to grasp that it was a bad call. It was unquestionably a bad call, and it's ridiculous that some people can't even acknowledge it. It was meaningless and didn't impact the outcome of the came, that also can't be questioned, but it was a bad call. Actually the most ridiculous part was comparing this to pulling the goalie in hockey. That made no friggin' sense what so ever to the situation.

Reaction Score
If taking a knee as soon as possible is unimportant -- how come virtually every coach at every level of football in America does it?

Are they all stupid and P is a genius?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the scary pat about all this is that its our coach that made this call and who knows what he might do next week.

Reaction Score
The team that is ahead never pulls the goalie.
Thanks for pointing that out. But the point was in hockey and basketball there is a chance to come back. In football almost a minute and a half can be wasted. Not cool

Reaction Score
Thanks for pointing that out. But the point was in hockey and basketball there is a chance to come back. In football almost a minute and a half can be wasted. Not cool

Here's the thing Srq. If you have such a strong dislike or disdain for the "Victory Formation" and the final 2 minutes of pu55y football (as you call it), then don't get your hopes up for 60 minutes of high-octane excitement every game. Consider it your favorite 58 minute thing to watch on a Saturday afternoon. This way you won't be disappointed. And if your lucky the team down by 1 score will have the ball with less than 2 minutes to go. Because that formation is simple strategy and using the rules to help you win. It will never be any different....On a side note: It occurs different ways in every sport.....even in basketball and hockey.......When you have the lead well in hand, you strategically take many of the risks out of your game-play......Soccer and Hockey coaches tell their middies and wings not to stretch to far up field, you see more dumping of the puck, possession style offense rather than attack-minded and other time wasting moves......Basketball players eat up the entire shot clock and sometimes simply stand in the corner of the front court dribbling out the clock..... Its all part of the game, as it should be....>..Personally for me there is no better part than the Victory Formation as long as my team is the one executing it......

Reaction Score
I still can't believe that we have to play a middle school girls team from China in 2015 as part of the NNBE schedule.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing Srq. If you have such a strong dislike or disdain for the "Victory Formation" and the final 2 minutes of pu55y football (as you call it), then don't get your hopes up for 60 minutes of high-octane excitement every game. Consider it your favorite 58 minute thing to watch on a Saturday afternoon. This way you won't be disappointed. And if your lucky the team down by 1 score will have the ball with less than 2 minutes to go. Because that formation is simple strategy and using the rules to help you win. It will never be any different....On a side note: It occurs different ways in every sport.....even in basketball and hockey.......When you have the lead well in hand, you strategically take many of the risks out of your game-play......Soccer and Hockey coaches tell their middies and wings not to stretch to far up field, you see more dumping of the puck, possession style offense rather than attack-minded and other time wasting moves......Basketball players eat up the entire shot clock and sometimes simply stand in the corner of the front court dribbling out the clock..... Its all part of the game, as it should be....>..Personally for me there is no better part than the Victory Formation as long as my team is the one executing it......
I agree with your points just that in basketball if the dribble in a corner they will get fouled but there is still a chance. Hockey they can dump a puck there will be icing. Neither do they burn a minute twenty or so. But it's all good im well aware of the strategy and the rules. I just think its a flaw in the game. That it can't go to the end. I am glad we were on the victory end of the v formation Friday just wanted to see others opinions. Especially with the schiano Tampa bay going hard to try to get the ball back when teams are in the v.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In football almost a minute and a half can be wasted. Not cool

That's the nature of a timed game. What's your solution? The clock stops if the play is stopped for a loss?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How this has taken on a life of it's own is silly. How Dez doesn't just say yep - unnecessary risk, should have taken knees - hopefully they learned, not as big as people are making it out to be, big picture still one.

Instead Des would prefer to alienate his readership because he'll defend his guy to the end.

Reaction Score
Ef you. The INT was added risk with no added return. Stupid call.

No. It was a good call - go for the throat, put the game out of reach. It was just poorly executed. The Four Corners Offense was even removed from basketball for being against the spirit of the game which is to attempt to score every time you have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom