HCBD on Weekly AAC Coach's Conference Call | The Boneyard

HCBD on Weekly AAC Coach's Conference Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just sharing, but if you have a low tolerance for "coach speak" and want to hang on ever word/statement - hit next.

Reaction Score
Just sharing, but if you have a low tolerance for "coach speak" and want to hang on ever word/statement - hit next.

That's awesome "Matt from the Boneyard" asking some very important questions. Nice job Matt. Sounds like the coach may be reconsidering the red zone substitution.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
lol at ' is that gonna be the plan going forward?"; "I don't know, we'll see." That's almost Calhounesque.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That's awesome "Matt from the Boneyard" asking some very important questions. Nice job Matt. Sounds like the coach may be reconsidering the red zone substitution.
called it 'flip of a coin"; maybe we should get him a two-headed coin.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
what do you all think of his assessment that CW has a greater ability to extend plays? Personally, I'll credit extending a play if it's successful, otherwise it's giving up on a play.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I thought he said he a couple of things worth noting:
- "we're still in a preparation phase" & "for the team to get better players have to play" = he's sticking to exhibition mode
- on CW in the red zone - "more ability to extend plays with his legs" and he "he expands the playbook" = sounds like he was thinking he can attack the edges on roll-out pass/run options with CW... also sounds like he's rethinking that with "it's really a coin toss".

I actually think he's been pretty straight forward in telling us what he's thinking; just hasn't been what a lot of us want to hear. I don't think that many who had 6-7 wins in the expectations thread a month ago were counting BYU, so I think the ledge jumpers are a little premature. The BYU game showed us where we aren't, hopefully the next couple will give a better sense of where we are.

Reaction Score
He said we're not a very good team yet. Clearly he sugar coats it and is way too ra ra ra.

Reaction Score
what do you all think of his assessment that CW has a greater ability to extend plays? Personally, I'll credit extending a play if it's successful, otherwise it's giving up on a play.

I do not agree at all.

Reaction Score
Is it just a coincidence that Matt goes Mike Wallace on him and then the call ends abruptly?

If we lose next week it will be "Matt from the hater blog".

Reaction Score
BNich said:
I do not agree at all.

Whitmer is a much better runner that. Casey is. Much quicker on his feet. Casey is a better pure passer and decision maker however.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I actually wondered during the game if CW had been told he was in the mix because he's the "running" qb. he seemed very pre-determined and mechanical in his movements, not necessarily awareness-driven.

Reaction Score
Sounds like we'll see another week of rotating QBs and a lot of players playing. Hopefully then the coaching staff will have a better handle on who's more effective at their respective position. Can't see us having much success going into the Boise game still in the "talent assessment/experimental" phase.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
rotating possessions maybe, for another week. I think (hope) he's coming off the red zone plan.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I actually wondered during the game if CW had been told he was in the mix because he's the "running" qb. he seemed very pre-determined and mechanical in his movements, not necessarily awareness-driven.
CW may be the better running QB but the problem is that he starts running before he has to. That issue has to be fixed. Until it is, CW's "running" will simply upset the timing of plays and he'll end up scrambling around in desperation mode and forcing high risk throws.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
CW may be the better running QB but the problem is that he starts running before he has to. That issue has to be fixed. Until it is, CW's "running" will simply upset the timing of plays and he'll end up scrambling around in desperation mode and forcing high risk throws.

This is what I see. He doesn't trust his blockers, gets stage fright and scrambles before there is even any pressure. I remember him doing it against Michigan at a critical juncture, running away from a clean pocket, straight into an edge rusher who was being blocked. Zero pocket presence. It's the mental aspects he struggles with. I think he can throw.

Reaction Score
Did not sound like his upbeat self.

Question asked by Matt was a good one. Did not like Diaco's answer.

He has spent too much time since Friday night worrying about all the threads posted on the Boneyard. I wouldn't be able to sleep either.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Couldn't agree more. CW plays like a rookie QB with happy feet. I can't blame him though - he was put behind GDL's OLs and suffered multiple concussions. I'd have happy feet too if I was used to playing in a GDL offense.

Reaction Score
Listening to the tone of his voice...I would say practice may not have gone well today; and maybe he reads the BY.

So I have been thinking about Diaco's approach about our first 2 (non-conference) games. I think we will see this approach for the Boise game as well, building up to the conference schedule.
If he plays these 3 games to set up his run through the AAC conference play he will have another level of the foundation he wants to set. I'm not saying he is playing to lose...what I'm saying is that I think this year his eye is on conference play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
Listening to the tone of his voice...I would say practice may not have gone well today. So I have been thinking about Diaco's approach about our first 2 (non-conference) games. I think we will see this approach for the Boise game as well, building up to the conference schedule. If he plays these 3 games to set up his run through the AAC conference play he will have another level of the foundation he wants to set. I'm not saying he is playing to lose...what I'm saying is that I think this year his eye is on conference play.

The best way to get ready to win games is to play games to win. No matter what the coach is up to, I can guarantee you that entering conference play 1-2 or 0-3 is worse for the team than being 2-1. No amount of tinkering in losses is better experience than winning games. Losing becomes habitual, so does winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom