Hawaii football on the brink? | The Boneyard

Hawaii football on the brink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's kind of the point of the new "student welfare" provision. It is Darwinism at its best.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That program has been held together with duct tape and shoestrings for years. It's sad how short they are on cash. People tend to think that places like Louisana-Monroe and New Mexico State are small time, but their budget problems pale in comparison to Hawaii's.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We'll all be reading "so-and-so college is getting rid of football" or "so-and-so college is getting rid of every other sport to fund football" articles. Little doubt in my mind.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We'll all be reading "so-and-so college is getting rid of football" or "so-and-so college is getting rid of every other sport to fund football" articles. Little doubt in my mind.

Yeah, except in this case, Hawai'i really might have to do it.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah, except in this case, Hawai'i really might have to do it.

It's a shame too. Hawaii had a nice run fairly recently under June Jones. Plus, there's always something comforting about a full slate of games that go from starting at Noon to starting at Midnight!

Reaction Score
Its sad, but short of a major benefactor stepping forward with a ridiculous influx of cash, I can't see how schools like Hawaii can be expected to compete at the same level as schools currently residing in P5 Conferences. If you are already running a major deficit for football, how do you justify going further into debt to try to compete with schools with infinitely more resources than you? They would be better served sinking that money into academics, or into sports where they have an actual chance to compete. It sucks because the Rainbows have a solid history, but their own base isn't supporting the program, why should the school?

Reaction Score
June Jones left when he couldn't get new carpeting and paint. Following their BCS season. That is kind of all you need to know. Its sad.

Reaction Score
Could also put some separation between the AAC and the Mwc if more schools in that conference fall off.
One item aresco has been clear on is the AAC's support of full attendance. If all the schools in the conference are committed, I could see some Mwc schools coming over (Boise, Fresno, Sdsu,)
I think aresco's fight to have a clause about how a conference could move into the p5 was valid. The fact the p5 wanted nothing to do with that is telling.
Greed and collusion.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't see how the AAC can be in full support. In reading that article about Navy in a different thread, their student athletes aren't permitted to receive one dime of additional benefits in comparison to other students. Of course, Navy can turn around their ship and try to continue to make a go of Independent (sounds unlikely, according to their AD) OR find another conference (C-USA, MAC?).

Reaction Score
Wait.........I thought this was all about what was best for the student athlete. Clearly we want those kids on the islands to be able to play ball. I'm sure the NCAA and big time programs will step in and help out.

barf........................

Reaction Score
I don't see how the AAC can be in full support. In reading that article about Navy in a different thread, their student athletes aren't permitted to receive one dime of additional benefits in comparison to other students. Of course, Navy can turn around their ship and try to continue to make a go of Independent (sounds unlikely, according to their AD) OR find another conference (C-USA, MAC?).
I think navy will do what navy wants in the AAC. For them, the conference affiliation sounds like a major priority.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think navy will do what navy wants in the AAC. For them, the conference affiliation sounds like a major priority.

I hope that the AAC will be willing to give them some leeway. All of our service academies should receive some sort of special treatment. It really irks me that Notre Dame and their academic scandals are given sweetheart deals from the ACC at a time when Navy, a school and program with just as much history, is wondering if it can continue to even play with the new rules. Makes me absolutely sick to my stomach.

Reaction Score
It's a shame too. Hawaii had a nice run fairly recently under June Jones. Plus, there's always something comforting about a full slate of games that go from starting at Noon to starting at Midnight!
It sho is Dooley...IMO Hawaii is the most colorful entertaining show in CFB and a nice road game in paradise ! Im not sure about their academic reputation but theres an opening to the asian market there too and 1 place that might make sense for the Pac if they decide to expand to get to 16..they have limited places to expand that makes sense but UH is attractive. Also per capita its a great recruiting ground out west!

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Looking far into the future, it won't only be Hawaii dropping football. The whole system may well implode because the feeder system may not survive. How can high schools afford to continue to fund football in an age where there is heavy pressure to cut government funding? When you cut government funding, school systems have to tighten belts. They may have to make hard decisions on what to fund re: interscholastic sports and what not.

I believe that football is vulnerable across the country. It costs well over $1000 per to outfit a football player. Less than $100 to outfit a basketball or soccer player. And the elephant in the room is litigation regarding concussions. The NFL just put aside an astounding amount of money to pay for players who had concussion ramifications. That occurs at the high school and college level too. What is the insurance policy to protect school systems and universities going to cost as everyone who ever banged his head on something begins to go after the quick litigious buck? (Think malpractice insurance for doctors and it's effect on health care costs.)

I think there is every possibility that many, many schools, starting with high schools are going to rethink football as an offering in the future. If that happens, the numbers of football athletes will dwindle over the years. Mind you, I'm not saying immediately... probably over 30- 40 years or more. And I'm not saying football will die. Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, et al will still rather fund football than education. But something's gotta happen when the law suits start flying.

Reaction Score
I agree geordi. I think football has some major issues and I don't think it will take 3-4 decades before we see dramatic changes. The concussion issue is huge and the resulting litigation is probably just about uninsurable even with the releases. I think it's going to look a lot like rugby.

Reaction Score
I dont know where this stuff ends? I read somewhere a month or so ago concussions are as prevalent in soccer as fb !?! FB was considered a good healthy pastime for a kid to keep them off the streets back when I was growing up in the 50s through the 70s. Ahhh the wonders of living in modern society are less enjoyable everyday for this old dog in this litigation obsessed culture.

Reaction Score
Looking far into the future, it won't only be Hawaii dropping football. The whole system may well implode because the feeder system may not survive. How can high schools afford to continue to fund football in an age where there is heavy pressure to cut government funding? When you cut government funding, school systems have to tighten belts. They may have to make hard decisions on what to fund re: interscholastic sports and what not.

I believe that football is vulnerable across the country. It costs well over $1000 per to outfit a football player. Less than $100 to outfit a basketball or soccer player. And the elephant in the room is litigation regarding concussions. The NFL just put aside an astounding amount of money to pay for players who had concussion ramifications. That occurs at the high school and college level too. What is the insurance policy to protect school systems and universities going to cost as everyone who ever banged his head on something begins to go after the quick litigious buck? (Think malpractice insurance for doctors and it's effect on health care costs.)

I think there is every possibility that many, many schools, starting with high schools are going to rethink football as an offering in the future. If that happens, the numbers of football athletes will dwindle over the years. Mind you, I'm not saying immediately... probably over 30- 40 years or more. And I'm not saying football will die. Texas, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, et al will still rather fund football than education. But something's gotta happen when the law suits start flying.
Well said from a Gamecock fan.

Reaction Score
I agree geordi. I think football has some major issues and I don't think it will take 3-4 decades before we see dramatic changes. The concussion issue is huge and the resulting litigation is probably just about uninsurable even with the releases. I think it's going to look a lot like rugby.
I agree...FB is already near the point where it ain't the sport I loved and many more changes i think many more like myself will lose interest before it gets back to the rugby like game from which it evolved.

Reaction Score
I hope that the AAC will be willing to give them some leeway. All of our service academies should receive some sort of special treatment. It really irks me that Notre Dame and their academic scandals are given sweetheart deals from the ACC at a time when Navy, a school and program with just as much history, is wondering if it can continue to even play with the new rules. Makes me absolutely sick to my stomach.
As far as service academy athletics goes, I don't favor special treatment. They aren't really that good and really ought to be competing at a different level like they do in other sports. Oh from time to time Navy upsets somebody who isn't used to their unusual offense, but what does it say about the culture of college sports when you want to give the US Military special treatment? Might as well spot Army 2 touchdowns and give 'em 9 points for each touchdown when we play them in November, too.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As far as service academy athletics goes, I don't favor special treatment. They aren't really that good and really ought to be competing at a different level like they do in other sports. Oh from time to time Navy upsets somebody who isn't used to their unusual offense, but what does it say about the culture of college sports when you want to give the US Military special treatment? Might as well spot Army 2 touchdowns and give 'em 9 points for each touchdown when we play them in November, too.

My point was that while Navy, Army, Air Force players go through rigorous training, education, and schedules,players at ND and UNC cheat their way through eligibility. It would be nice to see those young men and women who defend our country receive better benefits than the shameful cheats at ND and UNC.

Reaction Score
It's pretty sad sitting here watching college sports be destroyed in slow motion.

Like local banks and the local hardware store. Greed knows no boundary and the fans of the P5 will learn the hard way.

Reaction Score
While unfortunate, this could be the nExt step needed for the AAC. If Hawaii goes, their conf would fall below 12. Where do they go for 12? New Mexico State? It could be an opening to add a western conference, even if for FB only, with BYU, Boise, SDSU, and Air Force. It would certainly force a discussion around a P6

Reaction Score
Well said from a Gamecock fan.
There is potentential for an entire sport, that actually has the most participants at the highschool and college level,to be completely marginalized.
College football provides close To 60,000 kids with an opportunity for a college education. Of which about 6500 come from the P5 . 500 of those will end up making money at the sport.Although technically only about a third of these are on football scholarship , reality is many are on a need basis. Even DIII. If all but p5 go away.which astoundingly the comments to the article by alleged sports fans seem to support.You have greatly reduced the incentatives for kids to play high school ball.
Part of the demise of baseball in this country was the limited opportunity of gain via scholarship vs football.
Add to this that, the high number of football scholarships has fueled the growth of women's sports through the equality clause of title IX.
You can quickly see that lost football scholarships have the potentential to reduce women's participation by a like number.
As the grandson of immigrants growing up in a milltown environment, frequently our only path out was through football. The addition of BB ,softball ,soccer,and Lax have recently been a way for our daughters and granddaughters to finance their attempt at upward mobility. Unfortunately the potentential for this demise has gone complely unnoticed. The agrument has surrounded cause with little notice of effect especially long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom