Has there ever been a more experienced UConn roster by projected minutes? | The Boneyard

Has there ever been a more experienced UConn roster by projected minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Gibbs: 5th year Senior 30+ mpg
Miller: 5th year Senior 25-30 mpg
Nolan: Senior 5-10 mpg
Calhoun/Cassell: Senior/(doesn't matter kid's like 30) 0-10? mpg
Purvis: RS Junior 30+ mpg
Brimah: Junior 25-30 mpg (God willing, stay off the pine big fella)
Facey: Junior 5-10 MPG
Hamilton: sophmore 30+ mpg
Adams: Freshman 20-25 mpg

Enoch: Fr spot duty (Lubin minutes)

That is a tremendously experienced (and talented) roster. Two things win in college basketball: experience(one and done U's are the exception) and Guard Play. A lot is riding on Gibbs meeting expectations and Purvis following through on the end of his sophmore campaign like Daniels did in '14, but looking at the court mileage on this team has me pumped.

Reaction Score
I think Enoch will surprise some, he'll steal minutes from Nolan and spell Brimah when he gets into foul trouble, I'm thinking Enoch will contribute as the season progresses.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think Enoch will surprise some, he'll steal minutes from Nolan and spell Brimah when he gets into foul trouble, I'm thinking Enoch will contribute as the season progresses.
Not a slight on him from my perspective, Phil gets razzed on this board, but 2-3 charges a game are huge. The empty possesions + getting us in the bonus faster and potentially an opponent in foul trouble are not inconsequential. And it allows us to continue to play our aggressive perimeter D and funnel penetrators to the post, only instead of AB there to erase the attempt, it's Phil stepping up. I just don't think Enoch will offer enough defensively to replace that.

Reaction Score
Not a slight on him from my perspective, Phil gets razzed on this board, but 2-3 charges a game are huge. The empty possesions + getting us in the bonus faster and potentially an opponent in foul trouble are not inconsequential. And it allows us to continue to play our aggressive perimeter D and funnel penetrators to the post, only instead of AB there to erase the attempt, it's Phil stepping up. I just don't think Enoch will offer enough defensively to replace that.
good post op but im of the volition that nolan is one of the worst basketball players ive seen with two eyes since mandledove. at first he showed good potential being a defensive anchor, then he imploded. i'm almost 99.5% sure enoch is stealing all those meaningless minutes he gave last season. he can still be a good locker presence and team chemistry guy tho. a la 2011 olander

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
good post op but im of the volition that nolan is one of the worst basketball players ive seen with two eyes since mandledove. at first he showed good potential being a defensive anchor, then he imploded. i'm almost 99.5% sure enoch is stealing all those meaningless minutes he gave last season. he can still be a good locker presence and team chemistry guy tho. a la 2011 olander
I'll gladly accept all comers in a Enoch vs. Nolan more minutes played by seasons end.

Reaction Score

That's a bit harsh, but it's been frustrating to see a big man lose the handle of the ball on the way to what should have been an easy dunk or uncontested lay up

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Facey will get atleast 15 mpg. He's sgot the talent, just has to fine-tune his game a bit
At whose expense? 40 minutes at the 4. 5 of those minimum are going to Hamilton, do you really see Miller playing only 20 mpg?

Reaction Score
This team is experienced but lacks chemistry. Hopefully they can come and gel together asap with their roles defined.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
How many minutes did Mandledove play on an NCAA championship squad? How about Nolan? Stop the madness

Reaction Score
This team is experienced but lacks chemistry. Hopefully they can come and gel together asap with their roles defined.

God to not have to teach summer school-it is a beautiful thing. Here's an article for breakfast.

Chemistry will certainly be a factor in the success of this season, but for a few reasons this team should have advantages last years did not. Yes, Boatright is gone and that void is significant. At the same time, they are replacing one player as opposed to 5 and return a much more experienced, balanced roster. Ollie suggested they ran a dumbed-down playbook because the players - unfamiliar with both each other and the system - struggled to execute his offense last season. Gibbs has played PG for 3 years and by all accounts runs the position well, refusing to be rushed much like Price/Bazz: Miller is an ivy league transfer who should handle his responsibilities no problem: Hamilton/Purvis/Brimah played a year in the system and spent an offseason together. Everyone should be comfortable this year and be ready for the rigors of the season. Instead of Boat doing everything and guys trying to contribute where they can, the roles should be clearly defined and familiar. Collectively they should be able to bring Adams along, too.

Last year they seemed timid. Not only was the talent level lower than Storrs in accustomed to, but Ryan struggled to get guys to play at full energy for 40 minutes. Again, the inexperience at that level showed. They should understand what it takes and the ability to go 10-11 deep means anyone not moving will be sitting. If Daniel is turning it over, adams/gibbs/purvis comes out and if Brimah can't at least box out, we go small with Hamilton-Miller, or put Nolan/Facey/Enoch next to Miller. The same goes for anyone on the roster.

One more thing is this team seems to know it has the potential to be very good. You hear it at media day across the board-they have a lot of talent; practices are very strong; guys are competing on their own time frequently. Sometimes just having the confidence that you are capable is a tremendous asset and it is certainly a better mindset than "i hope we win" (it may be a stretch, but after the Texas and Yale losses, it is perfectly reasonable that the team's confidence took a hit even if they would never admit to it). As I see it, Gibbs controls the pace, but cedes scoring duties to Hamilton/Purvis. As I have said before, he can make nearly 4 3's a game and if we run the O correct, one of the other two just needs to hit the looks he seems able to deliver. Hamilton should be the 2nd facilitator behind Gibbs, with Purvis a slashing/3/break threat. They both need to be decisive and aggresive this year. Both can be top 10 players at their positions if they play well. Adams is breather/change of pace guard always in attack mode if he's remotely open. Down low, Brimah and Miller focus on D, but the former is always a threat at the rim keeping the D honest and should have one reliable move this year, while the latter is an excellent 5th-6th option and relief outlet who can also defend 4 positions/block shots/rebound. If Facey can defend he will be the 3rd big. Right now I expect Nolan to get minutes, but Enoch very well could over take him. Calhoun is valuable as depth and a guy who can give you 10+ if he gets hot. It may be rare, but playing with this talent should open more lanes for him.

I hope this team is smart enough to push the pace. I have a lot of faith in Gibbs to run the offense. Watching his brothers and highlights of his, they always play at their own tempo, but are capable of getting by anyone. Adams, Hamilton, Purvis, Miller and Facey can all get up and down the court. I hope they go on uconnhuskygames and watch every win from the 90's. Let the guards defend like dogs and funnel opponents to our waiting bigs, then sprint the other way. Trap off every made basket. Athletically we may not be UNC or Kentucky, but we have size, length and talent. I do think chemistry is the biggest concern this season, but more than that, if this team just plays with intensity for 40 minutes the will win 24 games.

Reaction Score
Last pre season we had Lubin vying for decent PT, so until we see Enoch in game setting it's way too early to project him. KO's loyalty to returning players can't be overlooked either which is why I suspect Calhoun, Nolan and Cassell to get more time than we would suspect at this point. Hope it's not loyalty to a fault.

Reaction Score
i agree phils charges are nice when they happen but i also think he sometimes focuses so much on taking a charge that he gets out of position and gives up easy baskets and offensive rebounds

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Last pre season we had Lubin vying for decent PT, so until we see Enoch in game setting it's way too early to project him. KO's loyalty to returning players can't be overlooked either which is why I suspect Calhoun, Nolan and Cassell to get more time than we would suspect at this point. Hope it's not loyalty to a fault.
Lubin was ranked above 350 in his class, Enoch is top 60. I think it's fair to expect A LOT more from Enoch. I also don't know what you mean by Ollie's loyalty to returning players. He's never been about handing out playing time based on seniority. The best players play and that's always what I've seen from KO.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Facey will get atleast 15 mpg. He's sgot the talent, just has to fine-tune his game a bit
Was thinking the same thing. Facey will be playing. That's for sure. If he can bulk up a bit...he'll be the first big off the bench. His energy and area rebounding are great things to have in a bench big.

The way I see it. Nolan will be Brimah's primary backup, and Facey will be Miller's primary backup with Enoch filling in to start the season. Depending on play and development, Enoch will earn more minutes.

I think a very interesting somewhat small-ball lineup would be Miller, Facey, Hamilton, Gibbs, Purvis (Adams could fill in for the last two if need be) So many option on this team! I'm getting giddy already

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Nolan is the team's best pick and roll defender, best screen setter and has the best overall footwork of any big we've had in a while. His contributions don't show up in the stat lines but he's a big part of this team.

Reaction Score
Since it would be hard to go back and actually find hard #'s on all the previous years projected minutes (Boneyard or elsewhere)...it would be very interesting for someone to calculate previous years actual minutes to your projected minutes for the 2015-16 team and then answer the experience question under that umbrella. Beer on me to whoever pulls that off.

Reaction Score
Nolan is the team's best pick and roll defender, best screen setter and has the best overall footwork of any big we've had in a while. His contributions don't show up in the stat lines but he's a big part of this team.

All that he does on the defensive end barely makes up for the liability he is on offense. I'd be hard pressed to name a past UCONN player that looked as lost on offense as PN yet got the minutes he gets. Which speaks volumes about how KO values what he contributes elsewhere.

Reaction Score
All that he does on the defensive end barely makes up for the liability he is on offense. I'd be hard pressed to name a past UCONN player that looked as lost on offense as PN yet got the minutes he gets. Which speaks volumes about how KO values what he contributes elsewhere.
His 15 minutes per game speaks volumes to our lack of frontcourt depth, not KO valuing Nolan's contributions.

Reaction Score
Enoch is miles ahead of Lubin, I'm not sure what his role will be but he's a way better player and prospect than Lubin. Ollie plays who gives him the best chance to win, whether he is a freshman or senior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom