Hamilton's rebounding | The Boneyard

Hamilton's rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DHam has been very good on the boards, he leads the team. It has really helped us overall.

But he has had a tendency to get the rebound, push the ball up court and get himself in trouble. I noticed in the USF game there was a change. He did his usual grab a board, dribble up court, get himself into trouble and -on this occasion- he committed a TO. And it seemed like Ollie said something to him. For the rest of the game, he got the ball to Boat ASAP after securing the rebound.

If he sticks to this new approach, I think his TOs come down. And his rebounding becomes even more valuable.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. He can make plays in the half court offense, but it's best if he doesn't bring the ball up the court. Especially if the other team is running a full court press.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Good point. Grab the rebound and pass out RB or a streaking RP. I have noticed that Cassell Jr has done that well several times recently.

Reaction Score
I liked DHam's inbounds pass to himself off the defender' back to start the scoring. Quick thinking. I still can't believe a guy defending the inbounder would ever turn his back like that.

Reaction Score
Good point. Grab the rebound and pass out RB or a streaking RP. I have noticed that Cassell Jr has done that well several times recently.

This...Cassell had a few really good outlet passes in transition yesterday. Had really good vision up the court and had balls placed perfectly for a streaking Purvis. Agree with OP on DHam. He seems to get that really high dribble as he races up the court and just leads to trouble from there. Passing to Boat or another guard would be a great point.

Reaction Score
I like the initial push but he needs to play two man ball. Grab board, turn to start transition, get it to a guard and then get himself in scoring position.

His inbounds to himself was reminiscent of Daniels going off Porter's back two years ago.

Reaction Score
I also noticed that he made an adjustment in the last two games when he was spinning in the lane to get open for a shot. In the past he just dribbled as he spun and the extra defender was waiting to strip the ball. In these two games he tucked the ball football style and then gathered for a shot or a pass to brimah. He does have some weaknesses that lead to turnovers but either he or the coaches appear to be working on these so he can stay in the game and do the good things he does for us.

Reaction Score
DHam is getting better and better each game. Kid looks silky smooth. His spin move is practically unstoppable, yet still being refined.

He just needs to be reminded to slow down sometimes, especially when he looks hurried or rushed. Its like he knows what he wants to do and can't wait to do it. Once he learns Div 1 pacing (whatever that is), then he will be the superstar personified.

Reaction Score
He's now easily the best rebounder on the team, especially in traffic. I kind of like the fact he gets out and goes - our bigs stand and have no ability of throwing an outlet pass of any impact. At least he's pushing while our bigs wait for the hand off.

Reaction Score
He's now easily the best rebounder on the team, especially in traffic. I kind of like the fact he gets out and goes - our bigs stand and have no ability of throwing an outlet pass of any impact. At least he's pushing while our bigs wait for the hand off.

He's pretty much the best everything on this team…when he wants to be... I'm convinced the free throw misses and lazy turnovers are strictly a concentration issue. Once he cleans up a few of those things he will be a lottery pick and we'll be a final four contender.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
He will be the best player on the team 1 year from now. Mark my words. The kid is fantastic. If Adams is as advertised and Amida and Purvis make large strides toward their potential, next year's team and maybe the year after will be stellar. D-Ham is good at everything. Jalen may be next in the line of great guards, but D-Ham is next in the line of great wings to come to UConn. Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, Rudy Gay, Jeremy Lamb, Daniel Hamilton.

Reaction Score
He will be the best player on the team 1 year from now. Mark my words. The kid is fantastic. If Adams is as advertised and Amida and Purvis make large strides toward their potential, next year's team and maybe the year after will be stellar. D-Ham is good at everything. Jalen may be next in the line of great guards, but D-Ham is next in the line of great wings to come to UConn. Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, Rudy Gay, Jeremy Lamb, Daniel Hamilton.
Hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but I think it's hardly a revelation that he'll be the best player on the team next year. I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone knowledgeable on the board who doesn't feel the same way.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but I think it's hardly a revelation that he'll be the best player on the team next year. I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone knowledgeable on the board who doesn't feel the same way.
You're right, by "best player" I meant the leader of the team. The face of the team.

Reaction Score
With the way our bigs struggle to corral rebounds DHam has really stepped up when needed. In the lane with his height if he could add the Earl Monroe fade away he would be unstoppable. He's got the spin down. We need more action from Nolan and Facey running the floor. Right now they are too content to sidle down the court watching the guards while Brimah and DHam are trying to get out and get in scoring position.

Reaction Score
He's getting the boards Facey was getting earlier in the year

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
He's getting the boards Facey was getting earlier in the year
Facey is still putting in solid work on the glass (Except vs. Stanford). 9 boards against USF.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He's pretty much the best everything on this team…when he wants to be... I'm convinced the free throw misses and lazy turnovers are strictly a concentration issue. Once he cleans up a few of those things he will be a lottery pick and we'll be a final four contender.

If he tightness up the handle and cuts down the turnovers he'll be an all league player.

His spin moves in the lane are NBA type moves.

Reaction Score
Facey is still putting in solid work on the glass (Except vs. Stanford). 9 boards against USF.
Facey also averages 2-3 rebounds knocked out of bounds out of a teammate's hands per game.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I was looking at some stats on the AAC's website the other day and noticed that D-Ham is leading the league in defensive rebounding. Pretty impressive for a wing.

Reaction Score
I was looking at some stats on the AAC's website the other day and noticed that D-Ham is leading the league in defensive rebounding. Pretty impressive for a wing.

Wow that is impressive. Nice stat.

Reaction Score
Have any of you heard of boxing out?

Hamilton doesn't get rebounds unless Facey & Nolan are working it. This is not just one man's aggressively desiring the ball. It's a good solid effort from several. I see no less rebounding effort or production from Facey. Brimah, though, is getting better.

Reaction Score
Have any of you heard of boxing out?

Hamilton doesn't get rebounds unless Facey & Nolan are working it. This is not just one man's aggressively desiring the ball. It's a good solid effort from several. I see no less rebounding effort or production from Facey. Brimah, though, is getting better.

Sorry Pudge I love the art of boxing out. No one on UConn does it consistently at all, especially weak side where it is of the utmost importance. I key in on plays, rewind all the time and I promise you the least of the box outs come from Kentan and Amida - DHam works harder for rebounds, he truly does, and he doesn't box out enough either. They miss the FT assignments a lot too on the low box. I watch this stuff all the time, our guys aren't the best at this although they are getting better. Can't be upset with 9 and 10 boards form Kentan and DHam but I promise you KF could get 15 a game if he worked it.

Reaction Score
Sorry Pudge I love the art of boxing out. No one on UConn does it consistently at all, especially weak side where it is of the utmost importance. I key in on plays, rewind all the time and I promise you the least of the box outs come from Kentan and Amida - DHam works harder for rebounds, he truly does, and he doesn't box out enough either. They miss the FT assignments a lot too on the low box. I watch this stuff all the time, our guys aren't the best at this although they are getting better. Can't be upset with 9 and 10 boards form Kentan and DHam but I promise you KF could get 15 a game if he worked it.

You're giving the kid Rodman type attributes.

My chagrin with the REBOUND discussion is that it is MORE than just grabbing the ball. Yeah I watch this too. I promise you that the much maligned Philip Nolan is - footwork wise - the body that does things the best fundamentally inside. He is never getting to the NBA with that. Facey? Hey ... after the one 3point shot he confidently put in against UCF, I am ready to give him 3-4 shots a game behind the line. He has a far better stroke than a few of our shooters; he is a maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom